Are there drawbacks to aftermarket manual transmission fluid?

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
For those of you who plan on tracking note that I had originally swapped to Amsoil for the track but after seeing a Youtube video posted by Micheal Baxi, who reported having issues with the Amsoil manual synchromesh, I switched to GM synchromesh modified friction. No issue to report after tracking the car a couple of times after that.
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Gear 300 user here and no complaints. It is a little thicker than OEM MTF but the friction modifiers make it smoother than OEM. Gear 300 performs consistently even under the high temps seen on track

OP
OP

EPSi2FKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Civic Type R, 2014 Lexus IS350
Country flag
Gear 300 user here and no complaints. It is a little thicker than OEM MTF but the friction modifiers make it smoother than OEM. Gear 300 performs consistently even under the high temps seen on track
Thanks as always! I think that’s what the tech saw and was referring to. We are doing it this Monday as well as front ball joints for the extra negative camber up front. Cheers!

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
You'll LOVE it!!!!! The difference is amazing without forking over the cash for the fully adjustable Acuity shifter.
Same. I would get it if I was tracking or racing seriously, but the 2020 type r shifter with the stage 1 kit should be enough. The rocker doesn’t look like it’s worth the money for me. Changing the MTF made a difference in shifting alone.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
Same. I would get it if I was tracking or racing seriously, but the 2020 type r shifter with the stage 1 kit should be enough. The rocker doesn’t look like it’s worth the money for me. Changing the MTF made a difference in shifting alone.
The rocker narrows the gates, so it's well worth the money, especially when combined with the stronger Acuity centering spring. Together, they really tighten everything up making shifts crisp and clean.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
The rocker narrows the gates, so it's well worth the money, especially when combined with the stronger Acuity centering spring. Together, they really tighten everything up making shifts crisp and clean.
Gotcha, they made it seem small since it said it was 11% tighter compared to stock or something near that

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Gotcha, they made it seem small since it said it was 11% tighter compared to stock or something near that
The '20+ R shifter will shorten the throws and the narrower gates from the rocker - even though 'only' 11%, it's definitely noticeable - make the combination perfect for me. The Acuity rocker and spring combination also removes almost all the slop of the stock Si and R shifter.

I can almost guarantee that if you wait and install the rocker later, you'll wish you had done it while everything was apart the first time. It makes that much of a difference.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
The '20+ R shifter will shorten the throws and the narrower gates from the rocker - even though 'only' 11%, it's definitely noticeable - make the combination perfect for me. The Acuity rocker and spring combination also removes almost all the slop of the stock Si and R shifter.

I can almost guarantee that if you wait and install the rocker later, you'll wish you had done it while everything was apart the first time. It makes that much of a difference.
I’ll probably just grab the rocker too then to get the best possible version of the R shifter without going full aftermarket drop in. I’m still debating whether or not I want to keep the si or not, so depending on if the new si is good or not that will determine what will happen. If not, I’ll grab the last year version of it since they seem to change it every 2-3 years with an refresh. It’s probably going to be marked up with the whole shortage anyways.

_1slowsi_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Si
Country flag
damn im freaking excited to install my new 2020 CTR shifter with the acuity upgrades! if you don't mind me asking how was the install?

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
damn im freaking excited to install my new 2020 CTR shifter with the acuity upgrades! if you don't mind me asking how was the install?
It’s fairly straightforward and easy. Acuity has excellent instruction PDFs and videos on their site. The hardest part, which isn’t even hard, is getting the cables out of the shifter base. Just use a thin slotted screwdriver to release the tab on each cable, and twist and lift them out. Make sure you have a set of trim removal tools to make pulling the console easy without marring the pieces.

MDSI

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Any thoughts on Royal Purple Synchromax Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid?
Sponsored