Are there any pros to keeping stock wheels/tires?

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Are there any pros for keeping the stock wheels and tires?

What’s the actual going rate that people have sold them for?

Thoughts I have...

Pros of selling/replacing:
- I could replace all 4 with nice 18s or 19s with really good performance tires for ~$2000 or less.
- The new tires will probably last longer and when it’s time to replace them they won’t be nearly as pricey as the OEM ones.
- I could cancel the wheel/tire protection plan since the new tires would come with road hazard protection and the new wheels wouldn’t be as fragile nor cost as much.
- Between selling the OEM sets and cancelling the protection plan I’d end up with some cash back even after buying the new wheels and tires.

Cons:
- Maybe the car somehow becomes devalued without the OEM wheels if/when I go to sell it later?
- Is there an issue finding the same offset in aftermarket wheels? Will this mean the car never handles exactly as designed?
- Is there some reason the stock wheels and tires are higher performance than smaller size wheels?
Sponsored

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
The biggest pro to swapping is getting a bigger sidewall so you are not trashing and replacing Type R wheels like is all too common with these silly rubber band tires. It's like Honda purposefully chose to go with 20s so they could sell a bunch of replacement wheels. They also pick up everything so you will get less flats changing to a bigger sidewall. The offset gets eaten back up when you go from say 60 to 40 but put wider tires on, which most people are going with and it looks better. A guy locally has a set with tires posted for $1500 which I feel is fair. If you threw sticky tires on some 18s or 19s I think the difference would be negligible, with the positives of more sidewall and tire width outweighing any possible negatives IMO. Judging by the looks of the car and tire choice I think 19s are what it should have came with.

Edit: Also, you live in Utah where temperatures get well below the temp at which you are not supposed to use the stock tires. Furthermore a set of all seasons and obviously snow tires should handle much better than the stock in Utah weather should you be planning on driving the car thru winter.

I think the biggest con to not keeping them is not having the OEM wheels to sell with the car, like is common with original NSX's today. But there will be tons of Type R wheels out there for a long time with the rate people are throwing different wheel and tire combos on, it probably won't cost you more than you'll get now for selling them and most people will be buying the car to enjoy, not keep OEM in a garage.

I have a set of 18" Motegis and DSW06 contis for like 1700 all in and I'm happy. I kept the OEM, but could really care less if I ever saw the OEM wheels with those stupidly sized tires on my car ever again.

Last edited:

ep3_lol

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Lincoln Navigator L, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The tire sidewall is effectively part of the car's suspension. It's sprung for the OEM tire size, so to maintain the same ride you would have to change other parts of the suspension or else car will be softer. It won't hurt anything to just put smaller wheels on though.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
There's really no issue from a performance perspective to downsizing.I went to 19s w/Michelin PS4S summer tires, and 18s w/Continental all-seasons for the winter. Sold my OEM tires and wheels w/no regrets. Could be a minor issue if you plan to sell the car but I doubt it, and just looking at the classifieds you see plenty of OEM tires and wheels for sale if the buyer wants them.

Going rate for selling OEMs seems to be no more than $500 per tire and wheel, and that's if they're in perfect condition. You will see people asking higher prices but I haven't seen any selling for more, and plenty have sold for less. I got $500 apiece for mine selling them individually, but it took a while.

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm definitely going down to 18" wheels for the extra sidewall and better appearance (IMO). I'm considering keeping the stock wheels for ease of parting out whenever I sell it, but I'm not sure if I want to bother storing them just for that and considering you don't get much for used aftermarket wheels when they're several years old it sort of negates the gain really. Getting ~1,500-2,000 back would nearly pay for the new 18" wheels and tires so it's tempting to do that just so I'm not out of pocket much.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd keep the wheels. typically when people see a performance car with mods it is generally assumed it was beat on.
Sponsored