are the minders based on actual usage or just simply based on the mileage?

idoc777

First Name
monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ex
Country flag
I'm wondering are the minders for: oil change, transmission fluid, and brake fluid changes are based on actual stress on these systems? or simply pops up based on the mileage driven? I drive very very conservative, getting 42mpg combined. my minders are up for all 3, just wondering how urgent it is to get it done as i'm pretty busy currently, I'm thinking if i drive very conservatively. and these minders are simply based on the mileage numbers. I should be okay to postpone a bit on the maintenance. However, if they are based on actual usage, stress of the system, maybe it will be more important I get them done asap.

thank you
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
They are based on milage, usage, and time.

What Honda has set for these is fairly conservative to try and cover every type of driver.

You can get away with waiting for awhile, but don’t forget about these items completely.

Don’t wait longer than 10k miles or a year for your oil changes.

Do not neglect the trans fluid service longer than 50k miles. CVTs need to be serviced on time if you want them to last. They aren’t as robust as a traditional auto or manual..

I’ve seen people go 100k miles without touching their brake fluid. But by that time the fluid is so dark, has absorbed a lot of moisture. The pedal will feel like garbage. Just get some fresh fluid in there at least every3 years.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
+1 for CVT oil change.

Car owners with a CVT will also want to pay special attention to the needs of their vehicle. Unlike a traditional automatic that has a set number of gears, a CVT often relies on a belt or pulley system to operate an infinite number of gear ratios. Make sure you use a CVT-specific fluid or you’ll risk big headaches (and repair bills) down the road.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/things-to-know-about-your-car-transmission/

The CVT is a precision piece of machinery with a complex electronic valve body. Replacement can cost from $4,000 to $7,000, however if the fluid is changed every 40,000 to 50,000 miles the life of the CVT can be greatly extended. The transmission fluid used on a CVT is expensive and ranges from $15 to $30 a quart. The transmission’s capacity is 4 to 5 quarts. The labor to change the fluid can be from $70 to $110. If you add it all up, for between $120 to $260 you can prevent a major problem! $260 sounds a lot better than $4000 to me.

https://baautocare.com/2012/11/19/c...ar-with-a-continuously-variable-transmission/

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My wife drive his Civic 2,500 miles / years.
MM show 15% oil one a year.