GenXCTR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i cant name the engineer but after speaking with a japanese engineer on the CTR project from the beginning I was told that the hood scoop was originally designed with a true function, but in real world it was found to not provide any real improvement as intended and the dies to stamp the hoods has already been created so they kept it and added the channel to the underside simply to direct water to either side rather than down onto the intake manifold area.....take this information as you wish
actually now that you mention this.... my dealer drove around my car getting it PDI'd with the hood scoop still covered in the white vinyl material from shipping. They got a Check Engine code and told me that it was due to it being wrapped shut. But they did not tell me what the code was...
Also don't forget this thread, some people have the black foam covering the front vent as well.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/black-foam-blocking-air-vent.17142/
Yea, I've also read that the scoop was an afterthought. However, Honda does say it aids in “general engine bay cooling” and "contributes to the Type R’s stability by sending air into, through, and under the car" as well as "reduce lift at speed by relieving pressure from underneath" (similar to the second statement).

That would suggest that something under the hood could overheat and throw a code if the scoop was removed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I looked at that linked thread and it is strange to have foam behind those vents as they directly exit into your wheel well to "optimize stability at speed". Even though these are still 100% effective, the thread comments state that those are the brake vents, but I think the brake vents are the vents located underneath the fake/solid "vents" between our fake carbon fiber and our real paint. :) Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

I know that's not the point of that thread, so I apologize for taking it another direction.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea, I've also read that the scoop was an afterthought. However, Honda does say it aids in “general engine bay cooling” and "contributes to the Type R’s stability by sending air into, through, and under the car" as well as "reduce lift at speed by relieving pressure from underneath" (similar to the second statement).

That would suggest that something under the hood could overheat and throw a code if the scoop was removed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I looked at that linked thread and it is strange to have foam behind those vents as they directly exit into your wheel well to "optimize stability at speed". Even though these are still 100% effective, the thread comments state that those are the brake vents, but I think the brake vents are the vents located underneath the fake/solid "vents" between our fake carbon fiber and our real paint. :) Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

I know that's not the point of that thread, so I apologize for taking it another direction.
You are right on the brake ducts. My air curtain ducts show a clear line of sight between the intake and the wheel liner holes, so having something blocking them is probably an assembly mistake.

I hate to continue to take this thread off course, but it seems to me like a vented hood that extracted air from behind the radiator would be a good accessory, assuming we figure out how not to trigger the CEL. This would help with actual engine cooling whether or not you change out the grille and would help either the stock radiator work better or make an aftermarket radiator work better.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
I think any combination of better intercooler to lower charge temperatures, a turbo blanket to keep the massive amount of heat generated by the turbo internalized, and opening up the grille will do plenty to keep the car going on the track. Or do like most owners and don't take the car to the track lol.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
Was watching the Carfection review and noticed that the fender vents on the rear looked like it was blocked off, like a solid piece of plastic. Thought rear fender vents were functional to blanket the side skirts with air. Can someone confirm that they are indeed functional or blocked?

fender.JPG
Speaking of vents and airflow what about the European under hood fender panels. I am picking up a set in Spain. How will installing these panels affect heat flow out of the engine bay?
Sponsored