Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
I have run lots of "replicas" and never had issues. Always $800+ ones though. Never super cheap ~$500 ones like xxr etc.

If you race on a track id say the real wheels are worth it. If you're just a normal person that wants nice looking wheels then replicas are the way to go.
Sponsored

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
For street use, most wheels that places like Tire Rack and Fitment sell are good enough. If you have money for forged, go for it.

I know purists will say replicas are garbage and they are firm in that belief Short of a massive pothole most wheels are decent.

What you get with high end is a better combo of weight and sturdiness.
Correct as always.

I drive really hard on my Avid1 AV-30s and I’m constantly impressed by how they perform. They drive incredibly smooth even at high speeds and take a beating. I jumped a curb not too long and there’s no damage to the wheel at all. I’d put these on par with basic cast wheels from Enkei or a similar manufacturer. For comparison sake, my e46 Sedan has Apex ARC-8 in similar specs and they ride pretty much the same.

I definitely plan to upgrade to something forged in the future, but for daily use brands like ESR, Avid1, etc are good value purchases. ~$600 wheels have come a long, long way.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, I totally get people saying "I'd never put cheap wheels on my car". And hey more power to you. But everyone has a different circumstance and budget.

For example, I recently bought Tire Rack house brand wheels because I saw some long term reviews on forums that said they held up well. They're low pressure cast which is what the majority of OEM wheels tend to be. I added high quality 45 profile DWS06's and for my budget and driving style it's a good combo.

I see guys buy very expensive wheels and put on 30 profile tires and I think those rubber bands might cause some problems on potholed streets even with high end wheels.

And the comment above that says "if you can't afford "real" wheels you shouldn't be modding", is probably one of the most ridiculous comments I've seen in a long time.

Last but not least... technically, every wheel is a replica of this...

Honda Civic 10th gen Are "Real" wheels really worth it? 14801659

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
One last thing to all you "real wheel" connoisseurs out there. Just a couple pics to illustrate a point. Yes, expensive is better, much better. But far from invincible.

Honda Civic 10th gen Are "Real" wheels really worth it? 6F84ED51-01BF-4BFA-9C9E-3E5329E24589

Honda Civic 10th gen Are "Real" wheels really worth it? 554249F0-8B0B-4D88-8928-A32CD8E1E95C

toastyJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Be it an AVID1 AV28, XXR 575, Enkei TS-5, Enkei PF05, Gram Lights 57CR, Advan TC4, SSR GTF01 or Advan GT; Long Island has pot holes that will take out any wheel, tire and suspension combo.

Jokes aside, what are the benefits of real wheels on the track other than the weight? I'd love to know, thanks.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Be it an AVID1 AV28, XXR 575, Enkei TS-5, Enkei PF05, Gram Lights 57CR, Advan TC4, SSR GTF01 or Advan GT; Long Island has pot holes that will take out any wheel, tire and suspension combo.

Jokes aside, what are the benefits of real wheels on the track other than the weight? I'd love to know, thanks.
Eliminating unsprung mass actually has many advantages on the track, but one of the most important is that high unsprung mass exacerbates wheel control issues under hard acceleration or braking.

Last edited:

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
THIS! Some people (not all) will buy $3k wheels yet slap on the cheapest tires they can find which makes no sense what so ever.
Let them do it, it's hilarious seeing basically motorsport wheels on 10$ all seasons.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I paid “only” ~$1400 for my gram lights. I run a set of te37 on my other car. If you can’t afford wheels, then you shouldn’t be modding. Like many others have said, it’s the only thing that is 100% on the ground at all times. I have had enkeis, 5zigen and oz racing at various other times. But I will probably only go with rays from now on.
I usually buy OZ wheels cause I've never had one bend on me, but I don't like their styling - where's a good place to buy Rays?

kind of disappointing that I like the 2020 Si wheels, cause I have no excuse to replace them.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Eliminating unsprung mass actually has many advantages on the track, but one of the most important is that high unsprung mass exacerbates wheel control issues under hard acceleration or braking.
I could swear lightweight wheels improve steering feel, but could be just me.

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
THIS! Some people (not all) will buy $3k wheels yet slap on the cheapest tires they can find which makes no sense what so ever.
That's because they spend so much money on the wheels they don't have enough left over to buy decent tires , and then they wonder why the vehicle has shakes and vibrations .

I'm in the tire business btw ^^ first hand experience .

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks all for your responses I appreciate them all. Still on the fence about it but hopefully will come to a conclusion soon...

Real Wheels Pros:
-Durability
-Light weight
-Great for track use
-Peace of mind
-Likely to retain value much better if kept in good condition if I decide to sell

Real Wheels Cons:
-Worried about getting them stolen (lot of overnight parking in new york)
-Might still crack/bend at some of the huge potholes in my area
-Repairs cost more than replacing one rep wheel

Rep Wheels Pros:
-Looks 95% identical
-Save $1000
-Cheaper to replace entire rim in case of severe crack/bend
-Less worry about curbing/abuse
-Less worry about them being stolen
-Could run year round if I wanted too

Rep Wheels Cons:
-Not always the best quality, could suffer quality control issues
-Weight
-It's a "replica", get what you pay for

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
If you can’t afford wheels, then you shouldn’t be modding.
This is probably the dumbest thing I have read yet on the forums. 80% of the people on here have bought replica's. Its a civic. It makes sense if you are modding for track use to get the proper wheels for durability and stability. But most people here a daily driving. Thats like saying if you can't afford the best winter tire on the planet you shouldn't be driving in the winter.

Fitment Industries

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fitmentindustries.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Thanks all for your responses I appreciate them all. Still on the fence about it but hopefully will come to a conclusion soon...

Real Wheels Pros:
-Durability
-Light weight
-Great for track use
-Peace of mind
-Likely to retain value much better if kept in good condition if I decide to sell

Real Wheels Cons:
-Worried about getting them stolen (lot of overnight parking in new york)
-Might still crack/bend at some of the huge potholes in my area
-Repairs cost more than replacing one rep wheel

Rep Wheels Pros:
-Looks 95% identical
-Save $1000
-Cheaper to replace entire rim in case of severe crack/bend
-Less worry about curbing/abuse
-Less worry about them being stolen
-Could run year round if I wanted too

Rep Wheels Cons:
-Not always the best quality, could suffer quality control issues
-Weight
-It's a "replica", get what you pay for
Hey There!

There is a bunch of awesome information getting exchanged in this thread! What you've written up is pretty accurate and boils down to what you'll be looking to get out of the car, of course everyone wants real big name wheels however the cost associated with getting the best of the best is out of reach for some people especially considering what they will actually be using the car for. Before picking ANY wheel I would just load up on research and ask people their personal experiences with the wheels so you can gather the most real world information before finalizing your purchase(s).

-Tre @ Fitment Industries
Sponsored