Are my tires too old?

marheyoh's si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Greetings, I'm still running the EagleSports my SI came with. I also have a winter setup so these tires only have about 25k miles on them but are four years old at this point. Recently, I noticed a wrinkle(?) in the sidewall near the base of the tread. The tires still feel fine and have a good amount of tread left but the wrinkle has me a bit worried. It goes around the entire circumference of the face and is on all four corners. Is this normal or is it time for new tires?
Honda Civic 10th gen Are my tires too old? sidewallwrinkle1
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings, I'm still running the EagleSports my SI came with. I also have a winter setup so these tires only have about 25k miles on them but are four years old at this point. Recently, I noticed a wrinkle(?) in the sidewall near the base of the tread. The tires still feel fine and have a good amount of tread left but the wrinkle has me a bit worried. It goes around the entire circumference of the face and is on all four corners. Is this normal or is it time for new tires?
sidewallwrinkle1.jpg
Besides wear from use, some people say tire life is 5 years and some say 10 years - Depends on the manufacturer suggestion as well. Goodyear says 6 years... There is a DOT code on your tire that will show which week of which year it was manufactured. Even though you car is a 2019, it could be that your tires are getting close to this 5-year mark.

Discount Tire

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things Honda
Country flag
@marheyoh's si that is solid information from @arpypat. The DOT numbers should reflect the actual born on date of the tire. Discount Tire recommends replacement of tires at 6yrs and for the safety of our customers, we will not service a 10yr old tire. Your picture shows topical ozone which is the natural aging of the rubber in the stressed areas of the tire. Manufacturers would call it superficial and not unsafe unless you can see inner construction of the tire (cords).

OP
OP
marheyoh's si

marheyoh's si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
@marheyoh's si that is solid information from @arpypat. The DOT numbers should reflect the actual born on date of the tire. Discount Tire recommends replacement of tires at 6yrs and for the safety of our customers, we will not service a 10yr old tire. Your picture shows topical ozone which is the natural aging of the rubber in the stressed areas of the tire. Manufacturers would call it superficial and not unsafe unless you can see inner construction of the tire (cords).

Thank you and thanks @arpypat! Tires were made in the 26th week of 2018 so they're coming up on 5 years. Good to hear that they're not unsafe but I'll be getting new ones next week as a precaution. I have a couple of road trips and spirited drives planned this summer and would hate to run into issues

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you and thanks @arpypat! Tires were made in the 26th week of 2018 so they're coming up on 5 years. Good to hear that they're not unsafe but I'll be getting new ones next week as a precaution. I have a couple of road trips and spirited drives planned this summer and would hate to run into issues
No problem! Goodyear recommends no more than 6 years for their tires, so looks like you have a year left before you need to replace them. With that being said, I personally would replace them since I hated the OEM Goodyear Eagle tires on my Si 😂

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
+1 on the OEM tires being garbage. I mean, they were black and round, but they were short on grip and compliance, and somewhat frightening in the rain compared to anything else I've used in the last several years. You'll be happy replacing them.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My wifes 2015 Santa Fe had 7 year old tires-but only 30K on the car-she's a nurse and drives short distances only 3 days a week. I hadn't thought about their age until one day I noticed they were from 2015. I had the TPS changed, front end checked, 4 new tires (same Continentals as OEM-they were good tires), and mount, balance, blah blah for around 1300.00 all told. Things in FL are expensive. I won't mention the tire shop but I did check around and they (of course) were all within a few dollars of each other. They charged 114.00 for each TPS sensor that was 30.00 at Autozone lol.
So far so good. I figured since the TPS modules were also 7 years old it would behoove me to change them now instead of later.
I mean I know they have to eat too, but it would make me feel better about the money if I knew the tire guys were getting at least a good portion of it.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Stock eagle sports are garbage and never want eagle tires again. I have a little over 20k miles and they probably have 40 percent life left but they are shit tire. I'm going continental sport srs+. Screw Goodyear. Changing them out this month.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Stock eagle sports are garbage and never want eagle tires again. I have a little over 20k miles and they probably have 40 percent life left but they are shit tire. I'm going continental sport srs+. Screw Goodyear. Changing them out this month.
I highly recommend the Conti DWS06+.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I highly recommend the Conti DWS06+.
Those are about same right except dwso6+ is discount tire sold right and a little cheaper.

Discount Tire

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things Honda
Country flag
Those are about same right except dwso6+ is discount tire sold right and a little cheaper.
DWS06+ is a catalogue model, so any Continental Authorized Dealer should be able to get them.

We do have an exclusive model from Continental that's similar, which is the Contact Sport SRS+

John Gander

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fit
Country flag
Besides wear from use, some people say tire life is 5 years and some say 10 years - Depends on the manufacturer suggestion as well. Goodyear says 6 years... There is a DOT code on your tire that will show which week of which year it was manufactured. Even though you car is a 2019, it could be that your tires are getting close to this 5-year mark.
sidewallwrinkle1.jpg
If you are talking about those cracks they look pretty bad. Some manufacturers call that weather checking but it looks like cracks to me. It may only be on the surface layer but it can't be a good thing and it does provide an opening into the tire which can't be a good thing. It's too bad because the thread looks good. Personally I would not drive those on the highway.

cota

First Name
jaiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
my front left oem tire just blew at 61000 2 days ago. front right shredded off around 45000 cuz it went flat on freeway. i drive pretty aggressively.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I'd run those tires without hesitation. They aren't even 5 years old yet. The Si has such high cornering limits, that even a "shit" tire will still grip plenty for any kind of normal road use.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Grab some Michelin PS5's. I did and they're great 👍🏼
Sponsored