Country flag
Tire rack made in china here i come..

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
To those who replaced your stock wheels with lighter aftermarkets, were the performance gains THAT noticeable in daily driving? I've thought about new wheels for over a year now, but I'll never track my car. Wondering if it's worth the investment.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
To those who replaced your stock wheels with lighter aftermarkets, were the performance gains THAT noticeable in daily driving? I've thought about new wheels for over a year now, but I'll never track my car. Wondering if it's worth the investment.
in terms of ride quality on regular streets the cars rides much more smoother. upgrading to aftermarket is worth it just to not worry about denting the stock rims on terrible roads

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
Our stock wheels are cast, the NSX wheels (Y spoke) are forged. I just bought some online acurapartsnow.com and the cost worked out to $625/wheel including shipping. Most forged wheels are in the $800+ range, but the NSX wheel is much closer to factory spec for offset and has a similar look. IMHO, a pretty good deal for forged wheels.
I haven't mounted them yet, waiting for powder coat (black). But I'm looking forward to seeing how they work. I'm looking for a little less road noise, a better tire for cold weather, and hopefully a better preventative to bent wheels.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Performance? Not really. I autocross on the 19" Motegi's. The ride is definitely less harsh, lateral grip is higher due to the 200 TW tires I have on there. Acceleration feels similar. Turn in feels a but muddier and less sharp. For in town driving I actually prefer the feel of the 20's. That crisp turn-in is nice when making turns at intersections. On backroad rips the 19's are probably better. FWIW I do feel more tugs at the wheel (slight torque steer) with the 19" wheels. Plenty of people here insist that it doesn't change, but I can feel it. Maybe something to do with the stiffer bushings in the 2020.

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 1987 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Country flag
I autocross on the Motegi MR924's. With Re71's, they are about 4.2 lbs lighter than the 20's with Sport Contacts. The car seems quicker, but I have no empirical evidence. I haven't noticed an increase in torque steer, but that might be because I don't jump on the throttle, but use smooth inputs to maintain traction.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Better throttle response is a huge plus if you're able to drop the weight down to 20-22 lbs (or even better with forged rims). That's the thing that I noticed immediately when switching my rims out. There are power gains (at the wheel, not the crank) to be had too due to less inertia as well. If you can keep something close to the stock offset, you'll retain a lot of the handling characteristics of the Type R. However, it still won't feel nearly as direct but will offer you a better ride quality on bad roads.

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
There are a few options for the forged wheels.

LE Type R | 20" $1300/w est23.6lb +60 - These are the newest and (in my opinion) worst option here. They are by far the most expensive (1300$) and there are some much better options below.
Tire Rack Forged ONE | $680/w 20.3lb +53 - I have not heard much around these wheels, but they seem to be a Motegi/NSX competitor. That said they are more expensive than the NSX wheel and heavier. I would only look at this option if you are unable to find NSX wheels.
Titan 7 | $680/w 20.5lb +45 19", $520/w 18.1lb +45 18" - These are a very popular option for good reason. A lower offset (bigger difference than stock) than the NSX/Motegi's and almost the same price as the NSX wheels. That said they come in an 18" option that if you are ok going down to is probably one of the best performance wheels in the 18" category.
NSX | $600-$650/w 19.2lb +55 - These are in the middle of the price range, the lightest and closest to the stock of the 19" options. If you really wanted to stay with a 20" you can also do that at a bit more cost.
FK2 Type R | 19" $490/w +shipping ~26lbs +60 - These are pretty expensive for what they are, but cheaper than the NSX wheels and give you that stock look. I would go with these before the LE Type R wheels.
Motegi | $260/w 22.4lb +53 - These are the "budget" NSX wheels. Roughly half the cost but they are a bit heavier. These are a great budget option with the only compromise being the weight, and a tiny offset difference than the NSX.
Other - There are obviously a ton of other options that are less popular, or have much bigger compromises and are not as close to stock. I would only really branch out if you aren't going for that "stock" feel.

As someone who autocrosses, the Titan 7's are not an option for me, so I went with the NSX wheels and have loved them. That said if I were to buy a 4th set of wheels for DDing it would be the 18" Titan 7's.

Last edited:

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Dang...I was way off. No way the LE wheels are going for $1300...

Screenshot_20200913-011311_Samsung Internet.jpg
You can find brand new OEM wheels for ~950 each excluding shipping. I don't know if anyone actually buys brand new wheels since used sets of 4 are sold for 1k-1.4k.

LE wheels will go for a lot more for sure. No LE owners are going to sell their wheels, so getting a set of them is going to be expensive. Let's hope the wheels will be priced reasonably.

OP
OP

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
There are a few options for the forged wheels.

LE Type R | 20" $1300/w est23.6lb +60 - These are the newest and (in my opinion) worst option here. They are by far the most expensive (1300$) and there are some much better options below.
Tire Rack Forged ONE | $680/w 20.3lb +53 - I have not heard much around these wheels, but they seem to be a Motegi/NSX competitor. That said they are more expensive than the NSX wheel and heavier. I would only look at this option if you are unable to find NSX wheels.
Titan 7 | $680/w 20.5lb +45 19", $520/w 18.1lb +45 18" - These are a very popular option for good reason. A lower offset (bigger difference than stock) than the NSX/Motegi's and almost the same price as the NSX wheels. That said they come in an 18" option that if you are ok going down to is probably one of the best performance wheels in the 18" category.
NSX | $600-$650/w 19.2lb +55 - These are in the middle of the price range, the lightest and closest to the stock of the 19" options. If you really wanted to stay with a 20" you can also do that at a bit more cost.
FK2 Type R | 19" $490/w +shipping ~26lbs +60 - These are pretty expensive for what they are, but cheaper than the NSX wheels and give you that stock look. I would go with these before the LE Type R wheels.
Motegi | $260/w 22.4lb +53 - These are the "budget" NSX wheels. Roughly half the cost but they are a bit heavier. These are a great budget option with the only compromise being the weight, and a tiny offset difference than the NSX.
Other - There are obviously a ton of other options that are less popular, or have much bigger compromises and are not as close to stock. I would only really branch out if you aren't going for that "stock" feel.

As someone who autocrosses, the Titan 7's are not an option for me, so I went with the NSX wheels and have loved them. That said if I were to buy a 4th set of wheels for DDing it would be the 18" Titan 7's.
Thanks for the write up. Can you tell me if the NSX wheels need some sort of adapter to mount correctly? If so how much does this cost and what lug nuts do I need? I forgot what the add on piece is called.

jrow3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2003 4Runner
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. Can you tell me if the NSX wheels need some sort of adapter to mount correctly? If so how much does this cost and what lug nuts do I need? I forgot what the add on piece is called.
For hub ring adapters I got these.

As for lug nuts, the stock lugs will work, however you will need a thin walled socket to avoid scratching the NSX wheels. Otherwise you can look at this thread here with all the possible solutions you could want.

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Forged wheels definitely worth it. Stock tire and rim is about 50-55LBS. Running Volk Racing CE28 18X9.5 tire and rim 34LBS. Def lighter on take off but def smoother ride. I believe in doing it right the first time if financially possible
Sponsored