First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
  • Banned
I saw on some forged rims 19" offset 53 but were only 1 lb less than non forged.

Is it really worth it for daily street driving to have forged rims?
Not sure i f handling will be improved on the street?

Also how much do you think the bbs rims can be bought at the dealer that will be going on the type r LE

seems like they should only be around 600-700 ea
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Most get the forged so they can maintain the factory offset of 60 - so it's more about maintaining the handling characteristics than any other gain imo.

The weight of a wheel is more about increasing speed as every pound you shave off a wheel weight is something like worth 10lbs of rotational mass. So you actually accelerate a bit quicker with a lighter wheel as the car doesn't work so hard to turn it etc..

The LE Type R wheels are either going to be punitively expensive, or hard to come by. I'd probably not hold breathe on those being massively available imo. (I may be wrong!)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I saw on some forged rims 19" offset 53 but were only 1 lb less than non forged.

Is it really worth it for daily street driving to have forged rims?
Not sure i f handling will be improved on the street?

Also how much do you think the bbs rims can be bought at the dealer that will be going on the type r LE

seems like they should only be around 600-700 ea
Forged rims (not to be confused with rotary forged rims) are made to be a lot stronger than non-forged rims which is the main gain from them. They may have more customization options as well. For that reason they are typically run in more performance oriented driving. Additionally, while non-forged rims have their limits in weight reduction, forged rims can shave additional weight. This mainly only comes in when you're trying to shave ounces rather than pounds.

Since I mentioned rotary forging, I should probably just explain the differences between different ways to make rims. There are different ways to make a wheel. You have cast, pressure cast, flow form/rotary forging, and forging. Cast is just pouring metal into a cast to make the wheel into the shape you want it to be. Most OEM rims are done in this fashion. It's a cheap method but results in inconsistent density within the metal itself. Pressure casing is the same as casting, but the metal is put under pressure while the casting process is done. This increases the consistency of the density of metal. Flow forming is essentially a cast wheel, but the barrel of the rim is repeatedly rolled out to increase both the density of the metal and the consistency of the density of the metal creating a very strong barrel. Forging is cutting a solid block of metal into the shape that you want it (put simply) which creates a rim that has the same qualities of the barrel of a flow formed rim, but on the entire rim.

Edit: to answer your main question, lighter rims are definitely worth it for the performance gain (and if you do it right, the lower tire prices and larger selection of tire options). Forged rims are something you may want to invest in if you're planning on putting your wheels through stress (like on a track). I'm currently running rotary forged since they give much of the weight gains of forged for a fraction of the price, but also am only driving my car on the street (no track work, no racing).

Most get the forged so they can maintain the factory offset of 60 - so it's more about maintaining the handling characteristics than any other gain imo.

The weight of a wheel is more about increasing speed as every pound you shave off a wheel weight is something like worth 10lbs of rotational mass. So you actually accelerate a bit quicker with a lighter wheel as the car doesn't work so hard to turn it etc..

The LE Type R wheels are either going to be punitively expensive, or hard to come by. I'd probably not hold breathe on those being massively available imo. (I may be wrong!)
The analogy, which I'm typically against using, is that 1 lb of rotational/unsprung mass is like X pounds of normal mass (everyone uses a different number for X whether it be 4, 5, 10, etc.). In reality, a lighter rim just has less rotating inertia which means it resists force less (compared to a heavier wheel) which means that if you put a force through the wheel, more force will be transferred to the ground vs a heavier wheel. More force means more horsepower at the wheels, efficient braking, and responsive steering.

The power can be measured if you have a dyno and are willing to experiment. The power differences between different wheels will also depend on the actual powertrain of the vehicle since different powertrains have different bottlenecks in different areas. For example, an AWD car has some power transfer module (however it's set up) which sends power to all 4 wheels and a driveshaft while a FR vehicle just has a drive shaft and an MR/FF vehicle has an extremely short drive shaft. The less complicated the powertrain, the more gain you should theoretically be able to see from swapping a set of rims (pound per pound). It would most likely also be based on the output of the motor at the crank since parasitic power loss is typically a percentage rather than a hard constant. That said, the only source I've ever been able to find of someone doing dyno comparisons with different rims is from here. In short, they put a V8 Camaro SS with 3 different sets of wheels on a dyno, ran each set of wheels 3x and averaged the results. The results are seen below where blue is stock rim setup (68 lbs/wheel), red is a heavier setup (72 lbs/wheel), and green is a lighter wheel setup (60 lbs/wheel). On this Camaro SS, it was approximately 1 HP per pound lost. Additionally, the torque gains/losses were constant across the entire rev range which is pretty huge.

Honda Civic 10th gen Are forged rims really worth it ??> 6757639011_6f815e24be_b

I have only seen one other test where they objectively tried to see the advantages of a lighter rim, this one done on a Fiesta ST. Here they found that a standing start acceleration was worse with a lighter wheel (since they actually spun them with the lighter wheel) while rolling acceleration, braking, and lap times (they called it handling) were all improved. They also felt that the standing acceleration could be improved if they had used a sticker tire on both wheels since it was a traction issue (overpowering the grip that the tires provided). This would also go in line with a power increase as well.

Edit: all this being said, I expect the Civic Type R LE to actually put out more power at the wheels compared to a non-LE counterpart since the rims do drop like 4-ish pounds per corner. I should probably add that subjectively, I felt a pretty hefty performance improvement when I swapped to a lighter rim (9-10 lbs/wheel drop).

OP
OP

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
  • Banned
I will most likely get some 19" motegi offset 53 they are 8.1lb lighter than stock and would reduce weight 32lbs. I think spending 4k on tires and rims is pretty excessive. IMO unless you are really tracking the car . I kinda feel the same way with upgrading my exhaust , I am perfectly fine with the ASC , maybe because i am not a youngster anymore as I know eventually something even better will be out soon and will just upgrade again.

The acura 2021 nsx type r looks sick, btw

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will most likely get some 19" motegi offset 53 they are 8.1lb lighter than stock and would reduce weight 32lbs. I think spending 4k on tires and rims is pretty excessive. IMO unless you are really tracking the car . I kinda feel the same way with upgrading my exhaust , I am perfectly fine with the ASC , maybe because i am not a youngster anymore as I know eventually something even better will be out soon and will just upgrade again.

You're not lying - wow if it looks like that -

https://www.motor1.com/news/351774/acura-nsx-type-r-rumor/

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
@GotCTR? @NapalmEnema did you guys see the update posted on the Motor1 article? Basically says that the Forbe’s article Motor1 cites has no source of information regarding where they got the idea that an NSX Type R will exist for the current generation... Or it could be Acura’s way of just hiding the fact that they’re working on one :p

The Motegi that you are referring to are a very popular option because of the fact that they are light, 19”, cheap, and have high offset. Basically very close to the poor-man’s NSX wheel :p

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@GotCTR? @NapalmEnema did you guys see the update posted on the Motor1 article? Basically says that the Forbe’s article Motor1 cites has no source of information regarding where they got the idea that an NSX Type R will exist for the current generation... Or it could be Acura’s way of just hiding the fact that they’re working on one :p

The Motegi that you are referring to are a very popular option because of the fact that they are light, 19”, cheap, and have high offset. Basically very close to the poor-man’s NSX wheel :p
Yeah it seemed like a lot of smoke and mirrors on it, but enough 'well maybe' to feel they may be coming out with one. They need to up the power on the NSX imo to make it 'super car' land. AWD + 650 would do it!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yeah it seemed like a lot of smoke and mirrors on it, but enough 'well maybe' to feel they may be coming out with one. They need to up the power on the NSX imo to make it 'super car' land. AWD + 650 would do it!
I kind of felt like the NSX is already in supercar land (those numbers are still decent). Granted making it faster would be awesome.

OP
OP

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
  • Banned
I wonder what the size of the rims are being used on this nsx type r , might be worthy investment

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
BBS wheels for the LE are like $1300 each according to a dealer employee in the fb group i'm in.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
BBS wheels for the LE are like $1300 each according to a dealer employee in the fb group i'm in.
Sounds about right. Aren't the current wheels about $850 each if you just buy them from a local dealership?

OP
OP

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
too rich for my blood, Id rather use that money on a new downpayment on a next gen type r or AWD next gen subie, maybe a model y performance lol

merakiautoworks

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
merakiautoworks.com
Vehicle(s)
A bit of everything..
Country flag
One word. Titan7, great bang for your buck Forged wheels..

-Josh