Are dents repairable on the drivers side?

warriorpx

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Had by car parked outside of a grocery store, and a shopping buggy left astray had caught wind and plowed into the side of my car on the drivers side. The store isn't liable for damages and no one else is responsible for paying for the dent except me.
I took it to a dentless repair shop, and the guy there explained to me that the metal cannot be repaired and I will have to file an insurance claim and have it repaired at a body shop. I really don't want to file an insurance claim, and I really don't want to spend a $500 deductible on someone's negligence to return their buggy to the proper place in a parking lot.
I started to look all over the internet for alternate solutions, and people are saying everywhere that dentless repair kits will easily fix the problem. I'm not worried about it looking 100% perfect, because I am a broke college student and cannot afford $500 at the moment. Is using a repair kit recommended over going to a body shop? Are dents like this even repairable?
I respect the dentless shop dude's opinion, but at the same time I don't want to go through the hassle of way overspending on something when I can do the work myself for a fraction of the cost.

Honda Civic 10th gen Are dents repairable on the drivers side? unnamed (7)

Honda Civic 10th gen Are dents repairable on the drivers side? unnamed (5)

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
The PDR guy you visited is an asshat for saying that damage cannot be repaired. My PDR guy and some old ones I used in another state have repaired much worse than yours.

Keep in mind, the crease on the body line level with the door handle will never 100% come out, but find a different reputable PDR shop.

OP
OP

warriorpx

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
The PDR guy you visited is an asshat for saying that damage cannot be repaired. My PDR guy and some old ones I used in another state have repaired much worse than yours.

Keep in mind, the crease on the body line level with the door handle will never 100% come out, but find a different reputable PDR shop.
That is exactly what I was thinking. He has good reviews and I trust that he is a professional, but what he is saying just doesn't line up with what I am seeing all over the internet. It might behoove me to get a second opinion.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
That is exactly what I was thinking. He has good reviews and I trust that he is a professional, but what he is saying just doesn't line up with what I am seeing all over the internet. It might behoove me to get a second opinion.
For whatever reason, he doesn't want your business. I think when it comes to anything to do with a car (dealership, body shop, mechanics shop), everyone should shop around until you find an honest and quality business.
Sponsored