Are coaxials with upgraded tweeters overkill?

thatcaveman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Hey guys,

So I upgraded the tweeters in my EX-T coupe with the Polk DB1001’s and loved how clear they sounded compared to the stocks. Now the bug has bit and I’m looking to upgrade the door speakers. I just pulled the trigger on some Dynamat to add to the doors when I do the speaker install.

I’m currently looking at the Polk DB652 but since I have the “premium” 450w setup wouldn’t the extra set of tweeters on the speakers be too harsh in the cabin since they are coaxials? Or does the factory amp direct the highs and lows to each speaker so that wouldn’t really matter? Would looking into a pair of components be a better choice even though I installed the upgraded tweeters?

I’m not looking to add an amp or anything, mainly want to keep the stock look for now. I don’t know too much about car audio so I just wanted to install the speakers for now...

Thanks!
Sponsored

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
You don't need coaxials, get some mid bass speakers instead. If you went component speakers in the beginning, would have been better. IMO

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I don't believe the Polks would hurt anything. But you may have an imaging issue where the perceived location of the source of the sound is originating from (and may switch) from two different places.

I installed those speakers in my LX (no factory tweeter). And I liked them. If they make a non coaxial model; I'd be inclined to trust it.

OP
OP

thatcaveman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
I don't believe the Polks would hurt anything. But you may have an imaging issue where the perceived location of the source of the sound is originating from (and may switch) from two different places.

I installed those speakers in my LX (no factory tweeter). And I liked them. If they make a non coaxial model; I'd be inclined to trust it.
This is what I was thinking.

Looking into the DB6502 now and keeping the DB1001 and maybe saving the tweeters for the rear or switching them out since they are an easy install and returning the DB1001.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Top tip: Buy some extra Honda (not generic) green pop pins for the door panels. It's very likely that one of more will break during the process. And grab some foam rubber tubing/packing shock mount material/etc... to place between the metal door frame and the speaker terminals. They end up being kinda' close when it's all mounted. I never had a problem. But I didn't want to pull the panel a second time. Any insulating material will do so long as it fits and won't fall down over time. Even wrapping the terminals with electrical tape is a good step.

Welcome to the club. You've got the bug.

Honda Civic 10th gen Are coaxials with upgraded tweeters overkill? 2019-01-21 11.30.24
Sponsored