Are aftermarket clutches bad for our transmissions?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
The problems you get with lugging is not something you'll get suddenly. Engine longetivity suffers greatly with lugging. It's not one of those "I lug my engine all the time and have no issues with 25k miles".

When I mention that it was detrimental to engine health overall including rods, pistons, etc. Si engines are just like any other engine, nothing special. Lugging is harmful to it whether you have problems or not at the moment. It could mean the difference of your engine lasting hundreds of thousands of miles to piston rings wearing out in 100k.
Also, putting an engine at high load at low engine speed can lead to conditions like LSPI, or engine ping which can be detrimental. To prevent this from happening, the ECU will dump excess fuel, creating a rich fuel mixture which is bad for fuel trims
Sponsored

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The problems you get with lugging is not something you'll get suddenly. Engine longetivity suffers greatly with lugging. It's not one of those "I lug my engine all the time and have no issues with 25k miles".

When I mention that it was detrimental to engine health overall including rods, pistons, etc. Si engines are just like any other engine, nothing special. Lugging is harmful to it whether you have problems or not at the moment. It could mean the difference of your engine lasting hundreds of thousands of miles to piston rings wearing out in 100k.
okie. 10k to go. lets see if they die.

OP
OP
JDMpo0kie

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
One thing I noticed which is concerning is the amount of members talking of clutch slippage. Stock clutches will slip when lugging the engine with this amount of torque. While all the talk is about the clutch and upgrading it, people need to understand that lugging is just as bad on the engine itself as it is on the clutch.

Save your engine, don't lug it. Engines don't come cheap
I know.. I bought one lol..