Arduino Footwell lighting setup

Mishka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic ex
Country flag
Just installed custom footwell RGB LED lights. The setup is controlled with an Arduino Mega. The cigarette plug is used to power the LED lights and a usb cable is used to power the Arduino. Once those two cables are plunged in and the car is either on or in accessory mode the lights are turned on. Unplugging one or both cables will keep the lights off.

**I did not tap into any existing factory wires or wiring harnesses. The setup can be easily removed and the car returned to factory condition.**

Each of the 4 zones, front driver side, front passenger side, rear passenger side and rear driver side, can be controlled separately. Each section can have it's own pattern/color, or they can all be synced together.

Because the brain of the set up is an Arduino additional modifications are endless.
Future ideas/ possible additions.

-Door sensors - Light up different sections of the car in a different color once a door is open.

-GPS sensor + sim card adapter - It will be possible to text your car for its current location if it is ever stolen or lost in a parking lot.

-OBDII port connection - Creating a connection with the cars OBDII port will allow the Arduino to retrieve a bunch of information from the car's computer. Ex: Lights changing according to your speed. Lights reacting to turn signals. The possibility are endless.

Honda Civic 10th gen Arduino Footwell lighting setup GOPR9962.JPG

^front driver side^

Honda Civic 10th gen Arduino Footwell lighting setup GOPR9947.JPG

^front passenger side^

Honda Civic 10th gen Arduino Footwell lighting setup GOPR9957.JPG

^Front^

Honda Civic 10th gen Arduino Footwell lighting setup GOPR9951.JPG

^Rear^

Honda Civic 10th gen Arduino Footwell lighting setup GOPR9959.JPG

^Overview from the back^

Honda Civic 10th gen Arduino Footwell lighting setup GOPR9952.JPG

Last edited:

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag
Very nice, but then there is no room for my iPhone's Apple car play :(

OP
OP
Mishka

Mishka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic ex
Country flag
Very nice, but then there is no room for my iPhone's Apple car play :(
I use android auto with this set up. There are 2 USB ports, one in the center console armrest(used for arduino) and one next to the cigarette plug(used for Android auto). Also a USB hub/splitter adapter can be used to add more ports for charging.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I literally have my RGB LED strips sitting in my passenger seat to do this tonight haha.

Looks great! I can't decide how to wire it up tho. I would like it to turn on when i open my doors, but I would also like to use it when the doors are closed occasionally.

OP
OP
Mishka

Mishka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic ex
Country flag
I literally have my RGB LED strips sitting in my passenger seat to do this tonight haha.

Looks great! I can't decide how to wire it up tho. I would like it to turn on when i open my doors, but I would also like to use it when the doors are closed occasionally.
It all depends on what are you using to control the leds. If you are using a standard controller that comes with the strip, I'm not really sure of how to do it. Maybe you can use a relay switch... wired it up to the inside lights, that turn on with the door, and use it to power on the leds when the door opens. To run it with the door closed, install a manual switch hooked up to the battery that you can use to turn the lights on and off at any time.

If your using a custom controller like an arduino, you can buy door sensors (usually used in house security systems). It's also possible to talk to the car though the OBDII port to get information. Is probably possible to read open and closed doors but I haven't tried to figure that out yet.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what I was thinking with the relay. I'd prefer not to have a manual switch. My 18yo self didn't know any better, but I do now haha.

One of these days I need to buy an Arduino and figure those things out. Nice work on your setup tho. I'll post some pics when mine is done. I have to figure out why the headlights on my WRX weren't turning on this morning first tho. Damn car has ghosts...

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I'm currently putting some LED strips on my doors for when they open, they'll shine light on the ground so you can see your surroundings. It's been a pain so far since the LED is technically outside of the car. Hoping to attach it to the interior light fuse so it's on an automatic switch. Not sure the best way to do that though so any suggestions would help!

OP
OP
Mishka

Mishka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic ex
Country flag
I'm currently putting some LED strips on my doors for when they open, they'll shine light on the ground so you can see your surroundings. It's been a pain so far since the LED is technically outside of the car. Hoping to attach it to the interior light fuse so it's on an automatic switch. Not sure the best way to do that though so any suggestions would help!
That sounds tough because you need to make sure led strips and connections are 100% waterproof. Maybe the cleanest way is drilling a small hole in the bottom of the door and pushing all the wires through. routing them inside of the door and along the joint from to door to the car. Personally I don't want to drill or make any holes in my car especially because its a new.

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
That sounds tough because you need to make sure led strips and connections are 100% waterproof. Maybe the cleanest way is drilling a small hole in the bottom of the door and pushing all the wires through. routing them inside of the door and along the joint from to door to the car. Personally I don't want to drill or make any holes in my car especially because its a new.
I'm definitely not drilling in this car. I have it ran straight into the door panel (it's waterproof) and I ran it through the boot, and then through a grommet into the engine area to the fuse box. I'm taking the hard way with this because I refuse to drill or splice into any wires.

BrandonR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
How did you attach the led strip to the passengerside? 3m tape has not worked and keeps faliing but i cant find any room to ziptie it

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
How did you attach the led strip to the passengerside? 3m tape has not worked and keeps faliing but i cant find any room to ziptie it
Rub the surface you're going to attach it to with rubbing alcohol first. You could also use a zip tie for extra support

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed custom footwell RGB LED lights. The setup is controlled with an Arduino Mega. The cigarette plug is used to power the LED lights and a usb cable is used to power the Arduino. Once those two cables are plunged in and the car is either on or in accessory mode the lights are turned on. Unplugging one or both cables will keep the lights off.

**I did not tap into any existing factory wires or wiring harnesses. The setup can be easily removed and the car returned to factory condition.**

Each of the 4 zones, front driver side, front passenger side, rear passenger side and rear driver side, can be controlled separately. Each section can have it's own pattern/color, or they can all be synced together.

Because the brain of the set up is an Arduino additional modifications are endless.
Future ideas/ possible additions.

-Door sensors - Light up different sections of the car in a different color once a door is open.

-GPS sensor + sim card adapter - It will be possible to text your car for its current location if it is ever stolen or lost in a parking lot.

-OBDII port connection - Creating a connection with the cars OBDII port will allow the Arduino to retrieve a bunch of information from the car's computer. Ex: Lights changing according to your speed. Lights reacting to turn signals. The possibility are endless.

GOPR9962.JPG

^front driver side^

GOPR9947.JPG

^front passenger side^

GOPR9957.JPG

^Front^

GOPR9951.JPG

^Rear^

GOPR9959.JPG

^Overview from the back^

GOPR9952.JPG
Cool..Where did you buy it and how much?

OP
OP
Mishka

Mishka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic ex
Country flag
Cool..Where did you buy it and how much?
It cost around $50 because I had some parts laying around.

LED strips+power:

Parts for the Arduino controller:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishka

Mishka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic ex
Country flag
The 3m tape just started to fall off so I just used clear packing tape to go over the led strip. It holds really well, doesn't effect the LED light output and isn't visible unless you put your head to the floor and look up.