Anyone with a bigger turbo upgrade in Europe?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
@Anger not sure if it's been mentioned but you also have the Si MAF sensor lol :)
You also seem to have Si-like knock control behavior, but your KC starts rising quite early, even before 5000rpm and you are running stock fuel & ignition, so super conservative. I would suggest to try switching fuel, or at least fuel station.
Your SRI is working great but your FMIC is not keeping up even at your conservative boost targets so this may prove to be a limiting factor. Maybe there something blocking optimal airflow? IAT2 is not THAT bad, but I would avoid running WOT in 5th for so long ;-)
The turbo is flowing very nicely and has even more to flow.
Try to run a 3rd or 4th WOT pull and I'll get back to you with more.

PS : My custom turbo should be ready early next week. Can't wait to have it installed ...
Sponsored

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Anger not sure if it's been mentioned but you also have the Si MAF sensor lol :)
You also seem to have Si-like knock control behavior, but your KC starts rising quite early, even before 5000rpm and you are running stock fuel & ignition, so super conservative. I would suggest to try switching fuel, or at least fuel station.
Your SRI is working great but your FMIC is not keeping up even at your conservative boost targets so this may prove to be a limiting factor. Maybe there something blocking optimal airflow? IAT2 is not THAT bad, but I would avoid running WOT in 5th for so long ;-)
The turbo is flowing very nicely and has even more to flow.
Try to run a 3rd or 4th WOT pull and I'll get back to you with more.

PS : My custom turbo should be ready early next week. Can't wait to have it installed ...
Ok so:

MAF is indeed Si.
Intercooler does not perform perfectly cause the last bottom row is hidden behind the bumper. I could not make it sit in a better way. Still, it does perform better than stock. The 5th gear long pull was done after I was already driving for an hour on the highway, so the piping was hot as well. I see better IATs when the engine hasnt been running for that long, plus I hope during winter things will be significantly better.

K.control does rise immediately on WOT, regardless of rpms. I am running Shell Vpower racing 100 RON and have tested from 3 different stations. K.control behaviour is identical across all three.

The SRI is working ok I think since there is more room in the CRV engine bay compared to civic. Still, the stock airbox is better but I wont give up the noise!

I will try to find some time to do a proper datalog, the ones I uploaded were recorded using the automatic datalog recording function.

From what you saw, are there any concerns until I custom tune? You really think I can achieve "Si horsepower"? Maybe my intake camshaft is a limiting factor. That part number is unique to my engine and stock hp is stated at only 173hp...

Last edited:

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is what I mean...dont want to cut the bumper open.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone with a bigger turbo upgrade in Europe? 20200917_082602

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Well the base turbo is pretty much maxed around 230ish whp so maybe 245 is at the crank/flywheel. The Si turbo maxes around 245whp.
Of course there is always different dyno will measure a bit different so the before / after is more important if available.
Basicaly there is +15 whp potential from SI turbo swap on non-SI.

Is this head to head comparison from same car using same calibration with no further adjustments on ignition and boost target?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@varge 4th gear pull attached, from 2500rpm

Attachments

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My used Si turbo arrived yesterday and fitment was planned for tomorrow, but I thought I'd send it to a workshop for check and balancing anyway so it will stay there for a couple days and fitment was rescheduled for next week. My TD03 conversion was completed this afternoon as well, so now I have another turbo to test ... gosh :)

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
My used Si turbo arrived yesterday and fitment was planned for tomorrow, but I thought I'd send it to a workshop for check and balancing anyway so it will stay there for a couple days and fitment was rescheduled for next week. My TD03 conversion was completed this afternoon as well, so now I have another turbo to test ... gosh :)
Great news, i need to wait with the install till next week. Little worried about stock dp bolt removal ?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great news, i need to wait with the install till next week. Little worried about stock dp bolt removal ?
Also got the PRL DP, catted. Had the same worry...brought the car in to the dealership, told them what to be careful about but didnt stick around as I had to go to work. They told me they didnt have any issues but they were already aware of the difficulty. I think they heated the bolts up before attempting removal.

Also be aware that the stock heatshields don't bolt back on exactly as OEM. there is a gap left between the shields. The shop called me twice to confirm that this was indeed the proper installation. I have to figure something out to cover the gap, because heat does escape and I can definately tell. The IAT is up by 1 to 2 degrees Celcius.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sooo.... My base can now officially be named "Hybrid Si" :nixon:
My installer used a spray on the tough bolts (hot sides of turbo housing) , left it there for half an hour or so and said the bolts were removed like spreading butter on hot bread.
Now I tried to push the Si turbo a bit, but the difference in flow apparently threw off my fueling and I was running 12ish AFR past 5000rpm so I had to back off, tweak my maps a bit and do some testing today.
BTW my TD03 is also ready and waiting, so it will be installed in a few weeks, when the Si turbo has been calibrated and dyno'ed

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, in the end it was not an Si turbo, more like a high performance TD025+ ... still a "big" turbo in a sense ...
Results are amazing for a base model, in fact the plot looks nicer than many FBO Si's on the top-end and power loss was not drastic past 6400 in spite of the bone stock exhaust, including the factory catalytic converter.
The stock clutch has also been holding great, even after 15 dyno pulls on the Dynapack and 70.000km on the road ...

The car was custom dyno tuned by @angel1320pro from Hondasport.gr who is our local KTuner dealer in Greece and has also done all my hardware installation.

My only bolt-ons are the Mishimoto SRI and Wagner intercooler including piping.

35kgm of torque available from 3000 to 5200rpm
250whp of power available from 5200 to 6200rpm

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone with a bigger turbo upgrade in Europe? GV_T1vsStock.JPG

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, just a quick update that after testing the small upgrade, a custom hybrid TD03 has now been installed in place of the TD025+
This is NOT the MHI TD03, but rather a hybrid based on a TD03 CHRA installed on a machined stock turbo housing. First impression is that it holds power even better and longer at high RPM and I'm soon re-visiting the dyno to see if we can achieve 260+ whp on the dynapack on the stock engine & exhaust, then stop messing around with the engine :)

Stay tooned!

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, my poor FC1 on stock clutch, stock dp/fp and stock internals, went through a couple dozen dynapack 4th gear runs and is still holding strong ? ?
This time, with the larger TD03 hybrid, we were limited by the exhaust and power would not hold easily past 6000rpm, although the turbo did not run out of breath.
260whp was very consistent and repeatable without knock retard and 265 was achieved but k.control got quite upset at that power level.
That said, it picked up 5-15 whp over the TD025+ turbo and more than 30whp over the stock turbo over a broad rev range from 5000rpm until the rev limiter.

Plots to be posted soon when I receive them from Angelo!

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Plots to be posted soon when I receive them from Angelo!

Nice delta! Look forward to seeing the torque curve on that!