Anyone with a bigger turbo upgrade in Europe?

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
I was wondering if there were users around Europe with a big turbo upgrade that could share some opinions.
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Owner of Honda Performances ( forgot his name)in France has a Prl big turbo kit on his fk7.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
A friend of mine has upgraded the stock turbo to TD03 hybrid, running ~260whp (~300 crank) with a built motor (rods n pistons).
It's been working great since early 2020.

I will try a similar setup in the end of September with stock motor and will make sure to post my results and details of my setup :)

OP
OP
David228cx

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Please do, I will mount 27won turbo soon.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Please do, I will mount 27won turbo soon.
Great, I would love to drop a W1 instead of going hybrid but import charges are like crazy in Greece... do you mind sharing what your total cost for the w1 was?

OP
OP
David228cx

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Great, I would love to drop a W1 instead of going hybrid but import charges are like crazy in Greece... do you mind sharing what your total cost for the w1 was?
I got it when there was a discount so I got a bit less customs taxes. I think it was around 1600€

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now that I am done with the bolt-ons, I am also looking for a drop-in turbo.

I am doing something like 30000km a year, I commute 100km a day for work and go on roadtrips on my vacation. All branded aftermarket parts are high quality and reliable but I havent read about anyone who puts a lot of km on their car with an upgraded turbo.

I almost bought the MHI drop-in when I first saw it but then the 10w-40 oil viscocity put me off. I do not understand with such a thick oil is necessary when the Type-R runs a TD04 on 0w-20. Yes, different engines but the turbo temperatures are comparable. I do honestly believe that if you do frequent oil changes, such a thick oil isnt mandatory. I run Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30 and I guess that switching to 5w-30 should be fine for turbo longevity.

The W1 is a great choice but I have no idea how reliable they are after say 150000km. 27WON also suggests 5w-30 which makes perfect sense.

Question is, W1 or MHI running on 5w-30?....

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hi, also planning a turbo upgrade in the near future :) and still waiting (2months now) for prl to ship their fmic and a catted dp. Already installed prl cai with race maf, typer retrofit clutch from eman and some minor mods from acuity tanabe etc... currently running tsp1... bit jerky on start but great stft/ltft and k.control :)

OP
OP
David228cx

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi, also planning a turbo upgrade in the near future :) and still waiting (2months now) for prl to ship their fmic and a catted dp. Already installed prl cai with race maf, typer retrofit clutch from eman and some minor mods from acuity tanabe etc... currently running tsp1... bit jerky on start but great stft/ltft and k.control :)
Where are you from, man?

OP
OP
David228cx

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now that I am done with the bolt-ons, I am also looking for a drop-in turbo.

I am doing something like 30000km a year, I commute 100km a day for work and go on roadtrips on my vacation. All branded aftermarket parts are high quality and reliable but I havent read about anyone who puts a lot of km on their car with an upgraded turbo.

I almost bought the MHI drop-in when I first saw it but then the 10w-40 oil viscocity put me off. I do not understand with such a thick oil is necessary when the Type-R runs a TD04 on 0w-20. Yes, different engines but the turbo temperatures are comparable. I do honestly believe that if you do frequent oil changes, such a thick oil isnt mandatory. I run Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30 and I guess that switching to 5w-30 should be fine for turbo longevity.

The W1 is a great choice but I have no idea how reliable they are after say 150000km. 27WON also suggests 5w-30 which makes perfect sense.

Question is, W1 or MHI running on 5w-30?....
I still think it's too thick. Some user here got oil pressure sensor problems with 5w30n on stock configuration. Perhaps a good 0w30 could be enough?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Slovakia, next to Austria and Czech republic
You managed to get an Emann flywheel in Slovakia?! Good job! Did you pay for customs charges?

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Yes, purchased it from imwtuned, Derek Robinson was really helpful, communication rated 5*, managed to slightly bypass the customs ? total price approx 1700-1800€ for the clutch+customs( cant remember the exact price) + 300€ for the install.
And yes it is really that good as others say, stock feel, no chatter and holds the power ?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, purchased it from imwtuned, Derek Robinson was really helpful, communication rated 5*, managed to slightly bypass the customs ? total price approx 1700-1800€ for the clutch+customs( cant remember the exact price) + 300€ for the install.
And yes it is really that good as others say, stock feel, no chatter and holds the power ?
You could buy the flywheel only and get the clutch kit locally! I will PM you about this, I am interested!

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just try to remember, we don't own Si's so you may want to consider your clutch an early minder about reaching torque levels that could potentially lead to "gosh, I've just thrown a rod"
Just saying...
On another note I have collected most of my TD03 parts, September is going to be awesome. Stay tooned ;-)
Sponsored