Anyone with a bigger turbo upgrade in Europe?

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
So there you go. The TD03 hybrid added power all over 5200+ rpm to the rev limit.

Still on stock clutch, dp/fp

T2_264whp.jpg

more info can be found here :
Thank you for keeping us in the loop with your turbocharger upgrade journey.

I'm considering turbo upgrade and now I'm saving up money for the upgrade. I was thinking about upgrading conrod and piston to Saenz conrod and JE Piston but I kind of doubt the upgrade will be useful for me because of CVT limitation.

Which turbo do you recommend for CVT on stock internal? Swapping connecting rod and piston to the ones from CR-V/SI still make sense from cost standpoint for me.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Hey Arnoldo,

As a rule of thumb, rods bend or break under excessive torque and pistons melt under excessive heat. Pre detonation kills em all :)

That said, the CVT seems to be the weak link in your system, so as long as you keep torque at a cvt friendly level your rods should also be fine.

Pistons, well I'm not sure there have been a lot of piston failures, and the base ones have handled up to 270whp on pump gas and up to 300whp on E blends so they seems to be quite strong for their tiny size.

At TD03 power levels and proper tuning I would not bother with a built engine but that's just my personal opinion and practice.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hey Arnoldo,

As a rule of thumb, rods bend or break under excessive torque and pistons melt under excessive heat. Pre detonation kills em all :)

That said, the CVT seems to be the weak link in your system, so as long as you keep torque at a cvt friendly level your rods should also be fine.

Pistons, well I'm not sure there have been a lot of piston failures, and the base ones have handled up to 270whp on pump gas and up to 300whp on E blends so they seems to be quite strong for their tiny size.

At TD03 power levels and proper tuning I would not bother with a built engine but that's just my personal opinion and practice.
Thanks for the insight!

Exactly my reason of hestitating to upgrade rods & piston. CVT limit the power & I don’t like driving manual for daily because of heavy traffic so conversion to MT is not an option.

I am hoping to reach 300 bhp (not whp) without sacrificing low end torque if possible.

I’m currently using used CR-V turbo & seems like it’s about to give up as I can hear it whining some time. That’s why I’m considering hybrid turbo upgrade without touching rods & piston as much as possible.

Reactions: Myx

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK that's the 3rd turbo in like 3 months, is there a badge for the "tester of turbo's" or what? :)
This one is not mine, but I donated my block (and the rest of course :p ) to get a dyno tune before street / e-tune for the owner that can't get on the dyno ...

Long story short I will be dyno testing the W1 on a EUDM base sedan on stock egine / clutch / exhaust shortly

Stay tooned :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone with a bigger turbo upgrade in Europe? 20201218_140332

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And she did make a healthy 267 whp on the dynapack, which is as far as we decided to push the stock motor. Quite punchy on the road and a tad more eager to hit the rev limiter than the TD03 hybrid. Dyno plots will follow when I receive them!

OP
OP
David228cx

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
And she did make a healthy 267 whp on the dynapack, which is as far as we decided to push the stock motor. Quite punchy on the road and a tad more eager to hit the rev limiter than the TD03 hybrid. Dyno plots will follow when I receive them!
On a manual? What mods does it have?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still on the stock clutch?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Jeez thats really really good! Did you get it directly from 27WON? If so, care to share the Greek customs clearance tax?! What oil viscosity are you running? 5w-30?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol all your answers lie 1 post before my result :)

So ...

I'm on a 27Won Intake (that replaced my Mishimoto) on street MAF but will swap to race MAF as I am getting too close to 5v on the street MAF.
I have the Wagner intercooler including piping.
I'm on stock clutch and it's holding fine up to a little over 35kgm wtq for 70.000km
I'm also on full stock exhaust including the oem cat.

I tried 3 turbo's so far like this :
Modified Si turbo -> 250whp
TD03 hybrid -> 264whp
27Won W1 -> 267whp

I don't own the W1, a customer of my tuner bought it, and as he could not have access to a dyno, @angel1320pro (who tunes me) installed it on my car to create a nice base for a remote tune. I'm not sure of the final cost but I can ask.

that said my personal favorite (and final setup) is the TD03 hybrid as it is a perfect combination of low and top end. The W1 is more potent after 6000rpm but I wouldn't want to push it any further than 265whp or so. Also the W1 is quite lazy down low and only start to put down power past 3000rpm which is quite a compromise for a daily.

I'm on 5w30 since I changed to the Si+ and was running on Honda 0w20 up to that point.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Weird... I once asked Vincent from 27won about the limits of their street maf and he said they never Found the limits of their street maf (not close at 5v) and they had around 350hp.But i think that was on flexfuel or race fuel even.

And 35kgm on the Wheels right?
That's 400nm on the crank with stock clutch!?wow

Last edited:

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And here's the plot as well ...
Her lazyness before you :)

37ish wtq, need to cut something down, good thing I'm not keeping this turbo long term :p

There are signs of increased back-pressure past 6200, due to the stock dp/cat (cares who at this point of power output ...)

overall, due to the limitation of the stock motor, the output is not that impressive, compared to the TD03, and low end suffers significantly. Still, it's very fun and super quick on the road ...

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone with a bigger turbo upgrade in Europe? 27Won-267

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@varge Did you used the billet "GTX11 " wheel from SVT on your " SI hybrid turbo" ?GTX billet wheel
I think that dyno chart looked the best of all with that flat torque curve from 3000 up to 5200rpm.Power curve also is really nice and doesn't really go down much in high rpm.

Power wise 250whp is perfect for me and that turbo seems to do the job perfect.How was the heat from the turbo holding up ?High iat's?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@ivanCivix

Well, the Mishimoto is 1mm smaller in diameter, and it got extremely close to 5v even on the TD03 with lower ambient temps. Which led me to seek a race MAF. For the time being I installed the 27Won with the street MAF which is 1mm larger than the mishi, and got maxed out (pretty much) on the W1 but is ok'ish on the TD03.

The Mishimoto is definitely louder. I liked the sound a lot. The 27Won has a sporty growl but much more refined and the blow off is much less pronounced. Given I'm on stock exhaust I did like the louder intake sound but one can't have all in this life I guess...

IAT under boost is comparable and I can't really tell any difference between the two. On idle stop n go the 27Won is a bit harder to heat soak, although they both drop quickly under boost and some speed.

Given the difference in cost, I would always choose and suggest the Mishimoto, unless a W1 size is going to be implemented. The Mishimoto is good for up to 260ish whp on a dynapack and the sweet spot is a shy more than 250.
Sponsored