Anyone with a bigger turbo upgrade in Europe?

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Just try to remember, we don't own Si's so you may want to consider your clutch an early minder about reaching torque levels that could potentially lead to "gosh, I've just thrown a rod"
Just saying...
On another note I have collected most of my TD03 parts, September is going to be awesome. Stay tooned ;-)
I am aware of the limitations of the l15ba platform. Not decided yet whether to do a rod/piston swap or not. Anyway it is good to see that some people in europe are willing to do some mods on their fk7/crv-s and not only discussing warranty issues :)
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, purchased it from imwtuned, Derek Robinson was really helpful, communication rated 5*, managed to slightly bypass the customs ? total price approx 1700-1800€ for the clutch+customs( cant remember the exact price) + 300€ for the install.
And yes it is really that good as others say, stock feel, no chatter and holds the power ?
So it was +/- 1800euro with shipping and import taxes included?

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So it was +/- 1800euro with shipping and import taxes included?
As far as i remember yes...euro/us dollar conversion was worse than nowadays. I think it was a good price, still a lot for a clutch ?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah almost 2000€ for a clutch and flywheel is a lot of money.The Act clutch and flywheel would be much cheaper.But then again a OEM clutch is so much better longetivity wise.
I checked the prices a year ago and a OEM clutch is cheaper in Europe then in the usa.
I Found them to be the cheapest in the uk.
I wonder what would it cost to import only the modified flywheel...

Oem FK8 clutch kit is part number 22105-5DE-305
Found them here for £243 or ~ 270€
In the USA the same part number cost $570 ,buying the parts seperatly is cheaper in the usa and will come to $368 .
So all in all E-man charges $1600 for the kit ,i think its $400 for the clutch and $1200 for the flywheel.
$400 ~335euro +import taxes (anywhere from +19% up to +23%) = +/- €400 for the clutch alone.

You're better off buying the clutch in europe you'll save +/- 100euro or more depending on what Eman charges for the clutch/flywheel ,you don't have to pay any import taxes for that.
Only importing the flywheel.

Ps: The same seller had the same part for sale in august 2018 for ÂŁ200 ,so prices are going up .
Should have bough it back then allready...

Last edited:

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Eman is machining something on the flywheel so the price includes the labor to, not parts combined only. Now there is another option from competition clutch- stage 2 kit already sold out ?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Import charges vary from country to country. I bought 2 replacement filters from PRL directly for my SRI. Total cost including shipping was 139.99$. I actually paid another 140$ for importing to Greece! Courier service was FEDEX.

Even when staying with the stock turbo, a flywheel/clutch upgrade is useful in my opinion because the stock flywheel is dual mass and significantly heavy. I do not have the rev hang delete option, so I would think that a lighter flywheel might help. I run 0-400m several times and I simply cannot take advantage of the AWD. It takes me TOO LONG to switch from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears. When ever I try to change quickly, I get locked out. I find it ridiculous not to be able to run 0-100km/h under 8 seconds only because the gearbox wont let me.

I was thinking of contacting Emann and asking him to send the flywheel only, issuing an invoice of say 350$ including shipping. I would then make two separate paypal payments. One of 350$ which I would show to customs and one more to add up to the total actual cost. How does that sound to you guys? @varge you're a local to me, does that sound possible to you?

I do not know if Emann is willing to do that, but since he shipped to Europe before he probably won't mind sending another parcel. Only question is if he can issue the 350$ invoice including shipping.

When it comes to the turbo swap, even with an upgraded clutch, I wouldnt go over 34Nm of torque. I have no idea to what horsepower that translates to, I guess around 250-260. What is ideal is to increase the rev limiter. If say the limiter was at 7000rpm, a TD03 could make power around 6100. So instead of running 250hp/34Nm of torque at 5700rpm, we could run 250hp/34Nm at say 6200rpm. Less torque down low. The rods are killed by torque, not HP. My pistons are the ones Si has. That helps in some way I suppose.

I have not read of people here increase the rev limiter. I have no idea if the engine would be as reliable as stock with a rev limiter at 7000 instead of 6500. I guess americans dont either, as they dont over-rev. Even if the engine could take the extra 500rpm without issue, the flywheel and clutch definitely cannot.

In any case, tomorrow I will be installing the PRL catted downpipe. I will wait and see which CEL errors pop-up and then disable them from Ktuner. I will see how the engine behaves, then do a custom tune and then decide about the turbo. I would install the DP and turbo at once, but I am not convinced of the reliability of either MHI or 27WON in the long run.

Last edited:

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s how i did it with the customs.. u need two payments via paypal :) i dont think eman will send only the flywheel, moreover it Was derek Robinson who sent it to Europe, not Eman, dont forget that :)with the limiter u should be cautious, and definitely upgrade the valvetrain spings if going that route... with the torque you are absolutely right! Thats why i dont believe in the spoon hatch numbers with their MHI turbo ? 414Nm with stock rods come on boys ? btw anger and varge back than i read all your discussion on the td03 turbo upgrade, was a bit lazy to participate but definitely one of the best discussions here! And about the flywheel... yes it spins a bit faster especially around 5200rpm and the rev matching is much pleasent with this setup...

Last edited:

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Well I've been running 35kgm of torque flat from 3200 to 4800 rpm (32.5 available 2800-5200) on stock clutch (and stock internals of course) and it has been handling that so fine that I haven't thought about messing with it. Never had an issue with shifting either so...
I'm also making 230whp from 5000 to 6000rpm (220 available 4700-6400) and as I have some healthy ponies up there in the rpm range I have also moved my rev limiter to 6800 in order to be able to shift ~6600 without constantly hitting the limiter.
From my Hybrid upgrade, I hope to sustain my maximum torque of 35kgm for 600-800rpm or so in order to produce 250-260whp steady from ~5500rpm to redline.
I think that for a stock motor, 35kgm and 260whp should be a nice and relatively safe setup. The stock clutch should be able to handle this as well.
As mentioned, I should have my hybrid turbo available by the end of this month so we are going to find out soon :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone with a bigger turbo upgrade in Europe? Map3

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I've been running 35kgm of torque flat from 3200 to 4800 rpm (32.5 available 2800-5200) on stock clutch (and stock internals of course) and it has been handling that so fine that I haven't thought about messing with it. Never had an issue with shifting either so...
I'm also making 230whp from 5000 to 6000rpm (220 available 4700-6400) and as I have some healthy ponies up there in the rpm range I have also moved my rev limiter to 6800 in order to be able to shift ~6600 without constantly hitting the limiter.
From my Hybrid upgrade, I hope to sustain my maximum torque of 35kgm for 600-800rpm or so in order to produce 250-260whp steady from ~5500rpm to redline.
I think that for a stock motor, 35kgm and 260whp should be a nice and relatively safe setup. The stock clutch should be able to handle this as well.
As mentioned, I should have my hybrid turbo available by the end of this month so we are going to find out soon :)

Map3.jpg
What boltons do you have, if dont mind asking :)

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a Mishimoto SRI and a Wagner intercooler with piping. Why would I mind lol :)

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is the process of installing bigger turbine and/or compressor wheels (e.g. TD03 spec) on the existing (smaller) turbo.
An amount of machining will be required in order for the bigger wheels to fit properly. The result will be similar to the MHI TD03 at a fraction of the cost. I have sourced a used turbo to be converted, so I will keep mine intact just in case.

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Total cost would be? You will be doing the machining?

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is the process of installing bigger turbine and/or compressor wheels (e.g. TD03 spec) on the existing (smaller) turbo.
An amount of machining will be required in order for the bigger wheels to fit properly. The result will be similar to the MHI TD03 at a fraction of the cost. I have sourced a used turbo to be converted, so I will keep mine intact just in case.
So a used original MHI TD025 an a used original MHI TD03 were used as donors...What oil viscocity are you going to go with? Also, MHI said pre-oiling before installing is important for longevity! Any plans for a DP as well?

szk4lpel

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So a used original MHI TD025 an a used original MHI TD03 were used as donors...What oil viscocity are you going to go with? Also, MHI said pre-oiling before installing is important for longevity! Any plans for a DP as well?
A dp would definitely benefit the setup ?
Sponsored