Anyone using MT Gear oil other than Honda brand?

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Well, I'm about to roll over 30k miles so according to the manual its time to change the gear oil.

I will probably just go with a couple qts of Honda stuff.

BUT! has anyone else been running anything a bit thicker like AMSOIL or anything else interesting?
Sponsored

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Well, I'm about to roll over 30k miles so according to the manual its time to change the gear oil.

BUT! has anyone else been running anything a bit thicker like AMSOIL or anything else interesting?
Transmission engineers sometimes "tune" the MT fluid by adjusting viscosity or friction reducers so the synchros mesh perfectly. The Honda fluid is custom made for your transmission. Why would you buy off-the-rack clothes if you can get custom-tailored ones?

OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Because sometimes manufacturers design things based around maximum fuel efficiency instead of longevity.

What has changed so much about manual transmissions, still using GL4, that the oil now needs to be half as thick and changed twice as much?

In all my Nissans I use Nissan branded MTF. It works best for me...however in other cars (Ford, Mazda, Mitsubishi) I've had better luck with other fluids.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag

planedoc does like the Amsoil MTF (Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30).

I am doing mine the first time at 7500 miles. The second time at 20k, and then each 20k thereafter using Amsoil synthetic manual synchromesh transmission fluid. Which states right on it replaces Honda genuine MTF.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/manual-transmission-oil-change.6382/page-2#post-175413

With a viscosity of 9.7cSt @ 100°C (212°F), Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is of considerably higher viscosity (thicker) than your original Honda MTF fluid of 7.5cSt @ 100°C.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf

Red Line D4 (7.5cSt) SAE 70W-80 Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil)

"D4 ATF also provides a GL-4 level of gear protection, making it a superior product for transmissions and transaxles. The balanced frictional characteristics provides smooth and consistent shifts for extended drain intervals."
    • Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates
    • Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
    • Also used with manual transmissions and transaxles like T-5, T-45, T-56 and late-model BMW, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection
    • Excellent cold weather operation

Last edited:

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Amsoil is fantastic stuff.

Use that instead of the Honda MTF fluid and youre good.

TurnOne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn, Civic Sedan Touring, JK Rubicon X
Honda's in my experience prefer the Honda MT fluid.
I've tried Redline and Honda in almost identical civics before (2003/2004) and the Honda fluid felt better.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda's in my experience prefer the Honda MT fluid.
I've tried Redline and Honda in almost identical civics before (2003/2004) and the Honda fluid felt better.
You probably tried Redline's MTL 75W80 which has an even higher viscosity than Amsoil MTF.

Redline MTL 75W80: 10.4 cSt @ 100°C https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

Honda MTF/Redline D4: 7.5 cSt @ 100°C https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/D4_ATF_PROD_INFO.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
choo

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I was kinda leaning towards OEM or AMSOIL...I didn't like Redline on the Nissans...and they are spec'ed for that same weight.

TurnOne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You probably tried Redline's MTL 75W80 which has an even higher viscosity than Amsoil MTF.

Redline MTL 75W80: 10.4 cSt @ 100°C https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

Honda MTF/Redline D4: 7.5 cSt @ 100°C https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/D4_ATF_PROD_INFO.pdf
This was what I tried.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I3C3UQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jaydan1020

First Name
Jaydan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si. 2019 CR-V
Country flag
Yeah I was kinda leaning towards OEM or AMSOIL...I didn't like Redline on the Nissans...and they are spec'ed for that same weight.
If anyone decides to get Amsoil and doesn’t know a dealer or have a place local to them that they can get it let me know.

Or visit my website.

Cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com

TurnOne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's explain it... Redline's Superlight Shockproof oil was the wrong product selection.
Why so?
Not saying you are wrong, trying to learn here.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
planedoc does like the Amsoil MTF (Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30).

http://www.civicx.com/threads/manual-transmission-oil-change.6382/page-2#post-175413

With a viscosity of 9.7cSt @ 100°C (212°F), Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is of considerably higher viscosity (thicker) than your original Honda MTF fluid of 7.5cSt @ 100°C.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf

Red Line D4 (7.5cSt) SAE 70W-80 Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil)

"D4 ATF also provides a GL-4 level of gear protection, making it a superior product for transmissions and transaxles. The balanced frictional characteristics provides smooth and consistent shifts for extended drain intervals."
    • Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates
    • Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
    • Also used with manual transmissions and transaxles like T-5, T-45, T-56 and late-model BMW, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection
    • Excellent cold weather operation
I have 9000 miles on the Amsoil MTF. I cannot tell any difference at all in shift characteristics VS the original fill from Honda. I changed out the factory MTF at 10,000 miles, not because I think it needs it that often, that was just to get the new trans break-in particles out. But, I was really disappointed in how discolored the Honda MTF fluid was at only 10,000 miles. So, I am going to also change out the Amsoil MTF at the same 10,000 mile interval, just out of curiosity to see what it looks like? Depending on what I see, I will then decided on what I think is an appropriate 6MT fluid drain interval? As a way off topic side note, I recently changed to Amsoil ATF in my wife’s 2015 Toyota Highlander at 33,000 miles. The service writer said I was wasting my money because it came with “lifetime” fluid. Never needs changing. Well, I talked him into taking my money anyway, and I was appalled at what came outta that thing! The technician, said I was smart to not listen to that lifetime BS. These new automatics still need their fluid changed too. The tech told me the only reason the mfr’r says lifetime on trans fluids, or 10,000 on engine oil, is because the U.S. govt charges them up front when they sell a car based on the anticipated cost of disposal of these fluids over the life of the vehicle. By recommending not changing your fluids, it saves them $millions in fees. It is about $ and cents. Not reality.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited: