First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe white
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only use Premium. Reason I bought this car over a WRX was because of the MPG. I get such incredible MPG with Premium on this car that the cost of the higher Octane doesn't hurt my wallet nor does it have me running to the gas station as often. Win Win.
Sponsored

RogerRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
2019 SI
in NYC the pump octane is 87,89,93. I just did 120 miles on half a tank of 89 & half 93. Experienced best acceleration in a few months of using 93.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
2019 SI in NYC the pump octane is 87,89,93. I just did 120 miles on half a tank of 89 & half 93. Best acceleration in a few months of using 93.
I can almost guarantee it was due to the fact the weather is getting cooler compared to the previous months.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
2019 SI
in NYC the pump octane is 87,89,93. I just did 120 miles on half a tank of 89 & half 93. Experienced best acceleration in a few months of using 93.
That's it? My last trip in August I did almost 400 miles on a full tank (91 octane) driving from Northern Cal to Southern Cal, 80 mph in about 104 degree F heat. When I reached LA I had about a little less than a quarter tank, could have done maybe another 50 miles

flash_company

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I use 87.

Did not lose ANY gas mileage, still averages 32mpg with me cruising at 85-90mph and driving it aggressively around town.

It still has no issues doing 120+mph, its abilities are not hindered at all.
Went on a 12 hour road trip and averaged 40mpg passing cars and doing 85mph.

I don’t race so I really don’t care about 15hp lost.. I still enjoy the suspension, chassis, seats, sound system, crisp shifter, steering..

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The difference in gas cost is a very inexpensive way to get the best out of your SI.

I am cost conscious, and even I won't put regular gas in a high output turbocharged four cylinder engine.

atomicpunk2009

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si sedan, 2012 GT500 convertible, 2012 F150 5.0
Country flag
It’s funny how so many people commenting here believe their smarter than the Honda Engineers that built this engine. Do you really think they didn’t consider the facts for what would happen to this engine if only regular unleaded gas was used? Reading your comments always make me laugh.

Will premium gas make the engine perform better? Yes.
Will premium gas give better gas mileage? Yes.
But nothing noticeable because it’s so small.

Will regular unleaded hurt this engine? NO
Bravo! It took 7 pages of reading to read exactly what I was thinking. I have alternated between 87 and 93 and noticed no difference, my mileage is 38.8 average regardless. My si is my daily driver. It checked many boxes for me when I was shopping for a sedan, it does what I want and expect, if I desire to go Mach 2 with my hair on fire two bays down sits a Shelby GT500 convertible.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I use 87.

Did not lose ANY gas mileage, still averages 32mpg with me cruising at 85-90mph and driving it aggressively around town.

It still has no issues doing 120+mph, its abilities are not hindered at all.
Went on a 12 hour road trip and averaged 40mpg passing cars and doing 85mph.

I don’t race so I really don’t care about 15hp lost.. I still enjoy the suspension, chassis, seats, sound system, crisp shifter, steering..
Would you kindly share your VIN?

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
thebutcher said: ↑
It’s funny how so many people commenting here believe their smarter than the Honda Engineers that built this engine. Do you really think they didn’t consider the facts for what would happen to this engine if only regular unleaded gas was used? Reading your comments always make me laugh.
Bravo! It took 7 pages of reading to read exactly what I was thinking. I have alternated between 87 and 93 and noticed no difference, my mileage is 38.8 average regardless. My si is my daily driver. It checked many boxes for me when I was shopping for a sedan, it does what I want and expect, if I desire to go Mach 2 with my hair on fire two bays down sits a Shelby GT500 convertible.
This is exactly what I've experienced between 87 and 93. I drove across country from Florida to Las Vegas, when I tried Premium there was no noticeable difference and trust me I was driving 12-14 hours a day if there was a difference in MPG or power/performance I would have noticed it.
This being said, I guess the next question is if I was to buy any other car than my Si(which I'm perfectly happy with) what would I go with? I'm pretty choosy and I don't like most of the newer cars out there, almost all are disappointing. The only cars I'm interested in are 1. Kia Stinger; but it's a Kia. still very nice car 2. Tesla Model S; could buy used for 45K but no, hell no. 3. Civic Sports Hatch; hard to move down from Si but I could use the extra room.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
thebutcher said: ↑

This is exactly what I've experienced between 87 and 93. I drove across country from Florida to Las Vegas, when I tried Premium there was no noticeable difference and trust me I was driving 12-14 hours a day if there was a difference in MPG or power/performance I would have noticed it.
This being said, I guess the next question is if I was to buy any other car than my Si(which I'm perfectly happy with) what would I go with? I'm pretty choosy and I don't like most of the newer cars out there, almost all are disappointing. The only cars I'm interested in are 1. Kia Stinger; but it's a Kia. still very nice car 2. Tesla Model S; could buy used for 45K but no, hell no. 3. Civic Sports Hatch; hard to move down from Si but I could use the extra room.
it's always better to buy used, especially if you are buying 1) an expensive car and 2) a car known for it long term reliability. Let someone else break it in and depreciate it for you

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would it be bad to go back and forth between 87 and 91?
The answer depends. Do you believe in the scientific method? Than the answer is no. Do you believe in opinion or what your gut tells you? Than the answer is yes

Personally I would use 91 because you do get better performance, and it is recommended

Dharmaboy

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe white
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am not sure of this but seems like these engines in Si's don't get as much crud in the intakes unlike other GDI engines. So a reason could be design and spec on the octane being higher. Can anyone confirm this?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I am not sure of this but seems like these engines in Si's don't get as much crud in the intakes unlike other GDI engines. So a reason could be design and spec on the octane being higher. Can anyone confirm this?
Likely has nothing (or very little) to do with octane. Seems like Honda is doing some stuff with the valve angles and overlap to allow some fuel to spray the backside of the valves.

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
On Costco the difference of regular to premium around 60 cents a gallon,Since car is use daily,half tank regular and do half premium little over on both. Did not see any difference on power or MPG.Yes it said premium recommended.
Sponsored