lyfamily

First Name
dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
si
Country flag
If so, what do you recommend as a effective and inexpensive option?
Sponsored

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I wanted something that worked in as compact a package as possible without breaking the bank. I picked up a Garmin Dash Cam 45 that has been going strong for 5 years now. I picked it up on sale for $110, I think you can still find it at that price.

mrsirking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Any recommendations for one with a battery so I don't have to hardwire or have it plugged in at all times?

Saw a Garmin one at Best Buy (CA) for about $170 and main thing for me is that it has battery life of 30 mins which is a good amount, but my work is an hour + commute so looking for something that will last longer.

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any recommendations for one with a battery so I don't have to hardwire or have it plugged in at all times?

Saw a Garmin one at Best Buy (CA) for about $170 and main thing for me is that it has battery life of 30 mins which is a good amount, but my work is an hour + commute so looking for something that will last longer.
They don't take much power, I have my 12V phone charger that has 2 USB ports, one I use if I need to quick charge the phone the other less powerful port stays hooked up to the dash cam.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

You'd be hard pressed to find one with a battery that lasts a long time on a budget.

It's super easy to run the cables anyway. I run mine from the gap in the headliner between that and the windshield, down the driver-side A pillar, under the driver-side of the dash and into one of the USB ports in my cig lighter.

DRTHVDR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CivicX Hatch
Country flag
This one.

Amazon. Mounted right behind my rearview. Had too many close calls and morons cut me off. Its an insurance policy

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got a rexing V1P, front and rear. It took about 5 minutes to hardwire it, you don't even know the thing is there, you just set it and forget it.
I see you didn't want to hardwire it, not sure why, but in my coupe,there were several empty fuse slots, switched and constant and it was just a matter of plugging the hardwire kit into one of those,no splicing or fuse tap required.

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thinkware F70 w/ hardwire kit (to enable parking mode) $109 from Amazon
I'd suggest adding the suction cup option and upgrade the SD card, since it only come with a 8gb micro sd. And with whatever hardware you may need to tap the wire to the fuse box.

Made in Korea, and I don't see the point of having a monitor that I don't look at. That's why I choose the F70.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLTFRTP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sVl.EbRK01N1V

n45w73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Coupe 2018
Country flag
I had a Garmin Dashcam on my old car, wire in the dome light.

Where can I find diagram of the wires around the dome light, or a cheap harnest ?
:)

I've got a rexing V1P, front and rear. It took about 5 minutes to hardwire it, you don't even know the thing is there, you just set it and forget it.
I see you didn't want to hardwire it, not sure why, but in my coupe,there were several empty fuse slots, switched and constant and it was just a matter of plugging the hardwire kit into one of those,no splicing or fuse tap required.

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
They don't take much power, I have my 12V phone charger that has 2 USB ports, one I use if I need to quick charge the phone the other less powerful port stays hooked up to the dash cam.
I've heard about dash cams degrading the battery (in parking mode)- that true at all? I am pretty green when it comes to cars tbh, just getting into it, so please go easy on me if this is a stupid question.

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've heard about dash cams degrading the battery (in parking mode)- that true at all? I am pretty green when it comes to cars tbh, just getting into it, so please go easy on me if this is a stupid question.
It will depend on the camera and the battery you have in your car. If you do a search on 'Parking Mode Dashcam Guide' there are plenty of good resources and discussions on options you have to make it work for various situations.
Sponsored