Anyone upgraded from stock 16s to 18s? How was it?

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
Planning to upgrade my stock 16s (215/55/16) to a 235/40/18 although I'm still not yet decided on which wheels will I get. Looking at XXRs and Rotas.

Anyone did the same? How's the ride quality (was it noticeably harsher)?

Has it affected your acceleration and fuel consumption?

I only have the base model 1.8 NA engine.

Considerations were the ride quality and the longevity of the suspension (since it has significantly less sidewall vs stock).
Sponsored

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Planning to upgrade my stock 16s (215/55/16) to a 235/40/18 although I'm still not yet decided on which wheels will I get. Looking at XXRs and Rotas.

Anyone did the same? How's the ride quality (was it noticeably harsher)?

Has it affected your acceleration and fuel consumption?

I only have the base model 1.8 NA engine.

Considerations were the ride quality and the longevity of the suspension (since it has significantly less sidewall vs stock).
I highly suggest avoiding putting your $18,000 (minimum) car on $400-500 wheels. You definitely don't want to hit something like a pothole and lose your car to the asphalt because your wheels just shattered. Now, moving forward, I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring. Which from factory, has 18" wheels. I'm alternating from my 19" setup and my stock 18"s and the 18s ride great. If you use stock tire profiles (235/40Zr18) you will not have any issues. The ride is sporty, and responsive. again, avoid rep wheels. You're literally better off on stocks. Try scoring some OEM honda wheels, or save up and buy real wheels.

OP
OP
W1NTER

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
I highly suggest avoiding putting your $18,000 (minimum) car on $400-500 wheels. You definitely don't want to hit something like a pothole and lose your car to the asphalt because your wheels just shattered. Now, moving forward, I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring. Which from factory, has 18" wheels. I'm alternating from my 19" setup and my stock 18"s and the 18s ride great. If you use stock tire profiles (235/40Zr18) you will not have any issues. The ride is sporty, and responsive. again, avoid rep wheels. You're literally better off on stocks. Try scoring some OEM honda wheels, or save up and buy real wheels.
Thanks for the tips.

As for Rota, they have good reputation on where I am since it's made locally I've had good feedbacks. They actually just recently launched their own line of forged wheels. I think XXRs are forged too. But yeah, both are just shameless copies of the Rays, etc.

Since this car is a daily (and will almost never see a track), I'm having a hard time justifying wheels that costs as much as X5 of a Rota set.

Well, I'll just try to score a previous gen Accord V6 rims. I actually dig the 18s stock of the SI and Sport hatches but we don't have it here.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i just past from 16 to 17 inch....way better handling and not too bad over bump and holes.....but still 225/45r17 height

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I recently moved from 16 to 18's with my Honda Civic Hatchback. Decided to get the stock wheels from the 2017 SI which is pretty much the same as the one's on the 2017 Civic Sports Trim, except the SI wheels are not tinted.

18 inch with 235/40/18 tires are amazing. it's honestly a sweet spot between better handling, turns, and mileage.

Now of course you have to take into consideration the tires that you're gonna use. do some research and take some notes from people here who have upgraded themselves.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the tips.

As for Rota, they have good reputation on where I am since it's made locally I've had good feedbacks. They actually just recently launched their own line of forged wheels. I think XXRs are forged too. But yeah, both are just shameless copies of the Rays, etc.

Since this car is a daily (and will almost never see a track), I'm having a hard time justifying wheels that costs as much as X5 of a Rota set.

Well, I'll just try to score a previous gen Accord V6 rims. I actually dig the 18s stock of the SI and Sport hatches but we don't have it here.
XXR is cheap. Rota is cheap. Both are cast aluminum and they have the tendency to crack. Even if you're dailying, all it takes is one hole or bump without paying attention and you're dragging a corner of the car across the asphalt.

OP
OP
W1NTER

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
Which model has a 1.8L?...
I'm in Asia, sir. It's the same engine since the FD 8th gen. :confused1:

Here, we got the worst variants, regardless of the car manufacturer.

We don't even have parking sensors, blind spot camera and even no option for Honda Sensing!
Oddly, my model has the full LED headlights... and we do have the Type R offered locally..

Only 3 variants from where I live:
1. 1.8 NA ($22k~)
2. 1.5 Turbo ($29.5k~)
3. Type R ($60k~)

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Australia and parts of Asia, apparently, gets a 1.8 instead of the 2.0, and is the only location. The labeling an offerings of models and trims are specific to Australian markets. How strange.

Regardless, all sentiments about rims above aren't altered in any way, I was just confused there for a minute.

OP
OP
W1NTER

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
Australia and parts of Asia, apparently, gets a 1.8 instead of the 2.0, and is the only location. The labeling an offerings of models and trims are specific to Australian markets. How strange.

Regardless, all sentiments about rims above aren't altered in any way, I was just confused there for a minute.
Well, since we have the least "power" being 1.8L, I'm also concerned that I'd lose some acceleration.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, since we have the least "power" being 1.8L, I'm also concerned that I'd lose some acceleration.
Between the 16 and 18 rims, the stock 16's weigh a bit or the same as aftermarket 18's (which generally means a loss in overall weight), and you're gaining maybe a couple cm in grip width, acceleration will be almost unaffected by weight, turning grip will be improved, and the wider profile tire drag may net a loss of 1-2mpg worst case. Impact resistance on the sidewall between a 55 or 50 and 40 affects going over bumps and increases risk of damage to rims on large potholes, but potholes can ruin your day regardless.

The difference is negligible outside turning and 18's simply looking better is the way I look at it.

OP
OP
W1NTER

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
Between the 16 and 18 rims, the stock 16's weigh a bit or the same as aftermarket 18's (which generally means a loss in overall weight), and you're gaining maybe a couple cm in grip width, acceleration will be almost unaffected by weight, turning grip will be improved, and the wider profile tire drag may net a loss of 1-2mpg worst case. Impact resistance on the sidewall between a 55 or 50 and 40 affects going over bumps and increases risk of damage to rims on large potholes, but potholes can ruin your day regardless.

The difference is negligible outside turning and 18's simply looking better is the way I look at it.
Cool, thanks. Valid point if I spend a lot for those forged light weight wheels.

Rotas could be a bit heavier than the stock 16s, I guess.

However, earlier this month they've introduced semi-forged wheels, I think I'll just go with that one when it comes out.

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The stock 16 alloys are about 21lbs each. Keep in mind you're losing rubber weight with lower profile tires. Stock 16" is around 46 lbs total, so that's 26lbs in rubber. The rubber weight will probably stay the same, losing 2 inches in sidewall, and an inch in width (though the thickness of the ground facing material is a lot heavier than sidewall).

I just wouldn't go for a 27lb 18" rims. 24lb max per rim weight. Fairly easy on an 18x8 rim. Little more challenging on an 18x8.5.

ramnj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last time I rotated my tires on my '18 Civic EX I weighted my stock 16" wheel and tire. Total weight was 43.5 lbs.
Sponsored