Anyone trading in their fk8 ?

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
I was thinking about trading or selling mine this summer and moving into a BMW X3 M40i. I’ve been getting lowball offers from Carvana and Xoom and I know I can get more because of the current market. Since the chip shortage is screwing all regular inventory, it’s probably best to hold off until 2023 hoping everything has already normalized that’s why I’m keeping mine at low mileage. I bought mine in Sept 2020 and it barely has 2100 miles on it. ?

think3mm

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
As I'm mostly in traffic and have yet to autocross, etc., I was *considering* a Tesla Model 3. On again off again with the idea, but currently off. My coworker offered to let me test drive his, so maybe.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
Actually just recently sold mine to a dealer. They were offering more than I paid after taxes for the car, so it was a no brainer. It was a 3rd car that barely gets used as I work from home. My primary track car is the S2000 and the Civic was my secondary one. I thought I was going to keep forever, but couldn't say no to the offer. No desire for the 11th gen for me.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im considering it, My life is somewhat changing. This car isnt very assessible as far as parts, support its not a get in and go type of car. Im thinking about a Dodge Charger SRT. What do ya'll think about that trade?
I think when you feel the extra 1,300 + extra pounds of the Charger versus the FK8 you will ask yourself 'what was I thinking?'.
You also lose a lot of useful storage in that hatch. It has just slightly more than 1/3 of the FK8 storage back there. At least rear seat legroom is very good.
And I doubt the seats will be as good as in the Type R. Insurance will be worse. Reliability probably worse too. Handling? Hey those Dodges go great in a straight line, and will still turn if somewhat awkwardly, and certainly drift, and sound way better than our Hondas. But that is about all. The rest is downhill from there. Overall it is not even close as a daily or even enthusiast vehicle.. But that's me - I am not a muscle car guy - I like my cars to be light on their feet, 3,100 pounds works for me, 4,400 not so much.
Once the thrill of the engine wears off, I predict you will miss your hot hatch.
Let us know if I am all wrong and it is the best thing you ever did - or you wake and go 'what have I done?'

Lan FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 6 Speed
Country flag
I don't feel like there are better buys than the FK7/FK8 for the price range... 2.0 is a perfect daily in the R. The market is horrendous ATM, I bought my FK7 for $20,400 brand new in 2017 and apparently it's worth more than that with 57k miles on it. KBB & Carmax gave me a value of 18-22k

Turbo65

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
I traded mine before Christmas for a new M240I x drive, I got the beemer at sticker and they gave me 4.9k more than I paid for the civic. Throw in 0.5 interest and was a no brainer.

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
I have a Golf R on order that should arrive next week (fingers crossed). The reasons are the normal ones.
Trade in more than I paid for the car 4 years ago.
AWD needed in MA.
I'm 51 and its my DD so the R is more shall we say... adult?
Will be nice to have heated/cooled seats, sunroof, head up display etc.
Hope I can deal with the screens vs buttons.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The GolfR definitely has more creature comforts, im sure you wont be disappointed.

evlsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Impreza Sport
Country flag
No plans to trade until I see what the next STI will be like. I'm expecting a huge letdown. I could have sold my FK8 to an online dealer and pocketed $20k. I just couldn't do it. I enjoy it too much.

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I might trade mine in for a c6 vette my payment would be cut in half ?

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Not a chance, love this car. Gonna just add a manual Tacoma TRD Pro as a supplement to the R next year.

Eventually want to fulfill the dream of owning a GT3 but I think I'd still do everything I can to keep the R too.
Sponsored