Anyone Succesfully auto-starting the DSP Flat script?

Klamkhowder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone was willing to share their experience with the DSP-Flat auto start script.

There are a lot of threads out there about the script itself, and i did my best to dig through the nearly 300 page post on XDA but that thing is a disaster to try and read. I did notice at least one person on that thread saying that the autostart portion of the script specifically caused a serious issue with their headunit.

And just to be clear, my civic does NOT have the premium sound so DSP Flat does actually do something.
Sponsored

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone was willing to share their experience with the DSP-Flat auto start script.

There are a lot of threads out there about the script itself, and i did my best to dig through the nearly 300 page post on XDA but that thing is a disaster to try and read. I did notice at least one person on that thread saying that the autostart portion of the script specifically caused a serious issue with their headunit.

And just to be clear, my civic does NOT have the premium sound so DSP Flat does actually do something.
Would LOVE to hear a quick and clean version of how to do this - without trying to get thru the same ridiculous 300+ page thread.
If anyone has a good write-up on how to and also if anyone can speak to it's use - does it work well? does it brick the unit?

I'm with you, Klam...just wonderin' and hopin'...

OP
OP

Klamkhowder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Well i know some of the process, so I can help you up to a point.

1. install HondaHack, i think you need the 25$ pro version to autostart apps.
2. Sideload the "SuperSu" app from this link.
https://apkpure.com/supersu/eu.chainfire.supersu
3. sideload the DSP FLAT APK from the XDA thread, its embedded a few posts down on this page
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...to-enter-developer-mode-2017-t3621582/page139
4. open the autostart page on HondaHack and select the DSP Flat app. and set it to autostart.

Like i said above though, I haven't seen any recent posts from anyone running this autostart setup. If i don't get any replies I'll bite the bullet, try it myself, and report back.

Since this is probably one of the only times this information has been collected all in a single post, for the sake of anyone who found this post through google searches; just note that this process is totally pointless if you have the 10 speaker premium sound system that comes standard on Touring, some SI's, Type R's, and Some Coupes. It will only work if you have the 7" touchscreen headunit and the 4 or 8 speaker sound systems that come on the Sport, EX, and EX-L.

KYBubblehead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sports Touring
Country flag
What about those of us with the 10 speaker premium stereo?

OP
OP

Klamkhowder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
What about those of us with the 10 speaker premium stereo?
Those who have the 10 speaker system have their DSP controlled by the separate Amp that is located in the passenger side footwell. It is my understanding that the only option you guys have for DSP flat is to replace that with an aftermarket amp. You will be able to find the setting in your headunit hidden menus but it won't change anything.

Another thing to understand about Honda's factory DSP setup is that it exists for a reason, and that reason is that they feel it preserves the longevity of the speaker drivers. Those of us who have the non premium speaker system have the absolute cheapest speakers i have ever seen in my life, If you run DSP flat and crank the volume way up, you will kill them. I know that the premium sound system has much higher quality speakers, but it's likely they are still lower quality than a good aftermarket set. So just in case you don't know, Running DSP Flat on non premium systems or adding a more advanced AMP to the premium systems should probably be done, after a speaker upgrade.

KYBubblehead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sports Touring
Country flag
Thanks!

OP
OP

Klamkhowder

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
So i got the DSP flat script app installed but after several days of testing it, i have yet to autostart it because my conclusion is that it sounds... worse. it does add more bass which is nice, but due to the fact that i have no external DSP or EQ I can't really adjust it to make it sound decent, I've also found that the "Loud" setting in the same developer menu seems to change the sound but also not in a way i can adjust, i also can't change that setting with an app so its more annoying to set than "DSP FLAT"

It's possible there is some way to make it sound good but with only the factory EQ available i doubt it. The right way is to have an External DSP and Amp installed, which is a bummer because i'm happy with the factory volume levels just not with the lack of factory adjustability.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Those who have the 10 speaker system have their DSP controlled by the separate Amp that is located in the passenger side footwell. It is my understanding that the only option you guys have for DSP flat is to replace that with an aftermarket amp. You will be able to find the setting in your headunit hidden menus but it won't change anything.

Just to expand on that ... You CANNOT just replace that AMP in the Premium system, because the Digital Output from the Head Unit to that Honda Amp is propitiatory, and there is no replacement amp that will talk to the head unit, and be able to use that Digital audio (it's not industry standard Digital ), and the control for volume & individual Bass, Mid Treble are sent by a separate digital data stream. ALL CUSTOM, and nothing else out there that can replace it.

SO, since you cannot replace that AMP with one with more suitable one (with a user controlled DSP), you have to accept the Undesirable DSP processing of the Honda Amp, and then feed that amp's badly processed ANALOGUE audio out into your own DSP equipped amp system, and program YOUR DSP to try to correct the mess that Honda has made of the audio, coming out of the Honda Amp.

If only someone knew how Honda was able to Program the DSP in the Honda AMP, and determine a way to set it FLAT (or to a custom set of profiles)

They must do it in Manufacture, but the way to do it has not yet leaked out, or been discovered... YET !!!

FYI . Honda Trivia
I heard from an ex Honda Engineer who worked on the design of the Audio systems, that the different Honda Models with their own Part # Premium head unit, had Model specific DSP programming in the AMP, to match the speakers and spacial setups in each model... ie Each Premium Audio Honda Model has their own Unique screwed up Honda DSP processing !!!

I am NOT saying that a suitable Digital Input AMP could not be designed -- just would not be cost effective to do so, and the development expense would be far to high for the limited market -- and Honda chasing after you legally !!

One other possible path is to "downgrade" to a Non Premium Head Unit, run DSP Flat on it, and then process that non-premium "FLAT" Analogue output with your own DSP/AMP

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
So i got the DSP flat script app installed but after several days of testing it, i have yet to autostart it because my conclusion is that it sounds... worse.
This is normal. A flat output sounds like absolute garbage in a car. Typically a curve something like this is what people aim for when tuning an aftermarket DSP:

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone Succesfully auto-starting the DSP Flat script? attachment[1]

This flat DSP stuff is mostly a red herring. The only time it's needed is when you have another music source in the car you also listen to and that source has a flat output. Or have an auto-tune DSP that generates is own signals for auto-tuning.

If you don't, then all you need to do is tune your DSP so the output curve from your speakers matches your target curve when fed the non-flat input from the Honda headunit.

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
Well i know some of the process, so I can help you up to a point.

1. install HondaHack, i think you need the 25$ pro version to autostart apps.
2. Sideload the "SuperSu" app from this link.
https://apkpure.com/supersu/eu.chainfire.supersu
3. sideload the DSP FLAT APK from the XDA thread, its embedded a few posts down on this page
https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...to-enter-developer-mode-2017-t3621582/page139
4. open the autostart page on HondaHack and select the DSP Flat app. and set it to autostart.

Like i said above though, I haven't seen any recent posts from anyone running this autostart setup. If i don't get any replies I'll bite the bullet, try it myself, and report back.

Since this is probably one of the only times this information has been collected all in a single post, for the sake of anyone who found this post through google searches; just note that this process is totally pointless if you have the 10 speaker premium sound system that comes standard on Touring, some SI's, Type R's, and Some Coupes. It will only work if you have the 7" touchscreen headunit and the 4 or 8 speaker sound systems that come on the Sport, EX, and EX-L.
Thanks so much for the above summary - the ridiculously long 'other threads' are too messy to find and trust directions.

Since you've (and others) have done the above without bricking the HU, I can't wait to take the plunge - I, manually, set to DSP Flat nearly each and every time I get into the car for any length drive. While I agree the built-in EQ is not good, I have it adjusted enough that the difference between flat and not is wayyyyyyyyy enough for me to HATE the non-flat sound.

So, with the above directions, you've had good success with the auto-script and without bricking type issues?

Thanks!!!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
In my experience with the SI and it's Premium system, by far the biggest cause of the sound imbalance is the Center Speaker.
This contributes far too much to the soundscape, so in the balance, the front door speakers do not contribute their low end to the soundscape, and also there is a serious loss of perceived stereo separation.

Just replacing that Center speaker with a better Qualify speaker which is also not so Sensitive (with added back padding) , will allow a higher "volume control level" to give the same sound level, but with a better balance between the now Louder Door speakers, and the center speaker.

My far the Biggest "Bang for your Buck", a few minutes to install, and a very big improvement

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
There is a problem with that script 1/10 times it will fail. Which then causes the headunit to freeze up and only rebooting your headunit will fix it. So i would highly advise against autostarting with it.

EX-Termin8r

First Name
@BigTurbo2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Accord 2.0
Country flag

I have the DSP Flat APK installed, and have the app on my home screen. I have not yet added it to start up because I heard of bad things. I know from experience that if you enable DSP Flat whether by app or manually, too soon, it will freeze the HU on SYSCOM FREE screen. The only way out if that I found is to turn off car, open/close door, turn on car, reboot HU and try again.

I was thinking if I add the 10 second delay to Auto start the app it might work, but I don't want to find out. Easy enough to press 1 button. I'll take that over finger-juzitsu.

I will add, DSP Flat is critical if you have an aftermarket system. I pushing up to 1500w to 15in SPL sub, LC7i, 4 channel amp to drive aftermarket woofers and tweeters. The sound difference is staggering, and where it should be at the least.

EX-Termin8r

First Name
@BigTurbo2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Accord 2.0
Country flag
There is a problem with that script 1/10 times it will fail. Which then causes the headunit to freeze up and only rebooting your headunit will fix it. So i would highly advise against autostarting with it.
And that's not even a problem with the script. It happens much more often going through the menu manually, in my experience. 1 freeze out of at least 120 times activated.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Old thread, I know. Just want to say thanks for this info. I was sitting in the parking lot at work, about to enter the hidden menu to set DSP to flat, when I got tired of the finger gymnastics you have to do to get in the hidden menu. I figured there's got to be a better way. I found this thread. Used the browser in the car to download and install the two apps and boom! 10 minutes later it works. I've started the car 4 times since then and each time HondaHack launches the DSP flat script perfectly.
Sponsored