First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a custom tune I made, pretty much a rescaling of the boost table from the ktuner OTS Tune, that gave BBG and RPM transitions a little more fine-grained adjustment paired with more boost. I never had a problem running it. For over half a year. A bit ago I would get a CEL and codes thrown when applying spirited throttle. The code seemed to indicate wastegate solenoid issues.
Ive since returned to stock and havent had a CEL since doing so. With some more time on my hands under coronavirus lockdown, and personal health and safety weighing in favor of my inclinations to not take the car to the deslership (prior illegal behavior and fraudulent threats by the dealership I purchased from, then zero response from the dealership nearest to me when I emailed the service center and detailed the code and asked if I should have the car seen. I'll sell the car before I get the covid from those mouthbreathing aholes) I'd like to throw my summer wheelset on and apply a tune to match but want to avoid the recurring unusable limp-mode state the car kept going into.
My assumption is there is no hardware failure. Stock vs some other boost PSI shouldn't matter if nothing is broken. I'm wondering if some tolerance or threshold for the solenoid being stuck is the issue. Because, if not, the only change my car saw in the last year is the oil dilution sw update I didn't even need. Honda kept sending me letters threatening to void my warranty if I didn't do it. I've done UOAs since my 2nd oil change and have never had indications of dilution. It was after the update that I couldn't continue using my tune. The return to stock was Jan/Feb.
I'm considering using seafoam to expel any buildup that could have tipped things past the threshold for the CELs at tuned boost levels. I really want to validate the health of the car at the the levels of boost that had been rock steady, because I have an ethanol kit still sitting in the box I wont allow myself to install if a performant baseline isnt confirmed. Adding a confounding variable to the mix while an unresolved potential issue lurks, lying in wait, is not wise.
Seafoam seems to say its kosher for use on turbo engines. Any applications or issues from others in the community?
Sponsored