ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Laughed at? Is this junior high school? Next thing people with coil overs will be laughing at people using springs :p
Anyone with that attitude with regards to mods :rolleyes:

Type R is the only ECU that needs to be jailbroken. But hey if someone wants to resistor "tune" their Type R, have at it and enjoy being laughed at by everyone with a real tune. As for all the other civics, they don't require any unlock so yeah, its $450 and we walk all over jb4 trash.
Sponsored

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
No doubt a tuner is superior to a piggyback system. That does not take away that it's an affordable reliable alternative.
Thousands of people use them with no issues. I am one of them (2 cars, 4 years, zero issues, tons of fun).
The price I put down was related to my experience (jailbreaking ecu + tuner).

No jailbreaking needed for the tuner you mention?
If it does need it then they are not "about the same price". Also the downtime.
There is no downtime. You flash your tune and you go. Safe, reliable, and much more power than a trash piggyback

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
Laughed at? Is this junior high school? Next thing people with coil overs will be laughing at people using springs :p
Anyone with that attitude with regards to mods :rolleyes:
That’s a useless comparison. Both lowering springs and coilovers function properly. You will get laughed at for using something like jb4 by people that actually know what they are talking about. The ignorance of people on here is hilarious. It’s like the motto on here is “build a shit car and call everyone else a hater”

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Ah yes because criticizing a perfectly good product that you don't like is the measure of maturity and knowledge.
If you're classless then yeah, you probably would laugh at someone using an "inferior" part.
I respect people and their choices even if I don't like them. People mod because they enjoy it. We don't all have the same taste, style or budgets but still enjoy doing what we can.
That’s a useless comparison. Both lowering springs and coilovers function properly. You will get laughed at for using something like jb4 by people that actually know what they are talking about. The ignorance of people on here is hilarious. It’s like the motto on here is “build a shit car and call everyone else a hater”

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
...well, it is a civic owners forum.... there's a less than kind reputation on other forums about civic owners (at least from what I've seen on Mazda, 350z, corvette, evox, mini forums).

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah yes because criticizing a perfectly good product that you don't like is the measure of maturity and knowledge.
If you're classless then yeah, you probably would laugh at someone using an "inferior" part.
but jb4 isn't a perfectly good product. its a cheap trash way to fool the ECU to get a couple pounds of boost and some bad AFRs. I look at it this way, your brain (the ecu) tells your heart (the engine) how to run. Would you insert some resistor box between your brain and heart that fools the signals from your brain going to your heart? Maybe your heart feels better for a short time, but in the long wrong all those wrong signals eventually kill your heart. enjoy.

Just there was a local place to get the ECU jailbroken
There are few local places who unlock ECUs for the R now. IMW in PA is close to you, if you wanted to take a day trip instead of mailing your ECU you could do that.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Actually my mother in law just had surgery for Parkinson's and that's exactly what they did and it works.
In my case I got what I wanted from it. A safe modest bump in power for a decent price. Again we all know tuners are superior. That doesn't mean that piggybacks are pure garbage. Thousands of them are being used with happy customers. I beat the piss out of my jetta, zero issues. When I had it on my CTR I just enjoyed the bump in power but never beat on it. Now with hondata I still don't beat on it. There is a difference in performance as the tune feels better than the piggyback.
I only did the tune because it was done by hondata and I drove 2.5hrs to get it.
but jb4 isn't a perfectly good product. its a cheap trash way to fool the ECU to get a couple pounds of boost and some bad AFRs. I look at it this way, your brain (the ecu) tells your heart (the engine) how to run. Would you insert some resistor box between your brain and heart that fools the signals from your brain going to your heart? Maybe your heart feels better for a short time, but in the long wrong all those wrong signals eventually kill your heart. enjoy.

There are few local places who unlock ECUs for the R now. IMW in PA is close to you, if you wanted to take a day trip instead of mailing your ECU you could do that.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A piggyback saved his mother-in-law's life? That helps explain why he feels so strongly in endorsing them.

Learn something new every day:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/deep-brain-stimulation/about/pac-20384562
weird, what they actually did was more like flashing the ECU, they put some new code into her body so when it reads abnormal beats it fixes them. The piggy back would have hidden the abnormal beats from the brain and it wouldnt have known how to adjust

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, the brain is arguably the ECU and the heart is the engine.

A piggyback typically reads signals from sensors, then alters signals to ECU which in turn fools the ECU into adjusting outside of what it would normally do if it saw the correct accurate sensor data. The major issue being that if the ECU is shown something far outside of what is expected, it will attempt to correct, and the loop of signals being corrected, and the piggyback continuing to alter then while the ECU attempts to mitigate.... is what causes problems. Admittedly my experience is limited, being based on only two piggyback systems - the PerfectPower SMT6, and the Burger Tuning N18 JB+. Both were variable disasters. The SMT6 helped me grenade a Mazda FSDE block putting 3 holes in it while tuning extra fuel injectors for a Garret T3/.60 setup. The JB+ was used on a 2012 MCS and 2013 Clubman S, and resulted in a fried ECU, and multiple coils needing replacement. I still have the Burger Tuning CANTOOL which they wound up pulling from the market due to legal troubles, that thing was pretty slick for gauge hijacking. At some point I'll list them on ebay.

Back to the topic of his mother in law though....What they did is closer to either a MBC or a manual clocking/declocking of a distributor cap. At least that is what I get from reading the mayoclinic article.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Her surgery was for Parkinson's. They installed devices attached to her brain and chest controlled by an iPhone app to reduce her involuntary movements. Sorry for threadjacking.
Well, the brain is arguably the ECU and the heart is the engine.

A piggyback typically reads signals from sensors, then alters signals to ECU which in turn fools the ECU into adjusting outside of what it would normally do if it saw the correct accurate sensor data. The major issue being that if the ECU is shown something far outside of what is expected, it will attempt to correct, and the loop of signals being corrected, and the piggyback continuing to alter then while the ECU attempts to mitigate.... is what causes problems. Admittedly my experience is limited, being based on only two piggyback systems - the PerfectPower SMT6, and the Burger Tuning N18 JB+. Both were variable disasters. The SMT6 helped me grenade a Mazda FSDE block putting 3 holes in it while tuning extra fuel injectors for a Garret T3/.60 setup. The JB+ was used on a 2012 MCS and 2013 Clubman S, and resulted in a fried ECU, and multiple coils needing replacement. I still have the Burger Tuning CANTOOL which they wound up pulling from the market due to legal troubles, that thing was pretty slick for gauge hijacking. At some point I'll list them on ebay.

Back to the topic of his mother in law though....What they did is closer to either a MBC or a manual clocking/declocking of a distributor cap. At least that is what I get from reading the mayoclinic article.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hope the operation brings her relief and improves her overall quality of life. Seeing a loved one struggling is a hell I do not wish on anyone. I have lost family members to cancer, stroke, HIV, and dementia. They were all very heartbreaking.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Her surgery was for Parkinson's. They installed devices attached to her brain and chest controlled by an iPhone app to reduce her involuntary movements. Sorry for threadjacking.
yeah man, prayers that it helps her live a more comfortable life. we can all disagree and argue about civic stuff all day but reality is we all have life to deal with too and no one wants to see anyone struggle or suffer. Keep your head up man.
Sponsored