So hks cooler still the better option?
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Using up the brake duct is a pretty big minus point
I looked back at all the pictures of both setups and I don't see the brake ducting being blocked off? Is the brake ducting / airflow not the holes along the right side edge or is that just where the fender liner clips in?

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
I looked back at all the pictures of both setups and I don't see the brake ducting being blocked off? Is the brake ducting / airflow not the holes along the right side edge or is that just where the fender liner clips in?
The brake duct entrance is below, between the bumper and lip. Exactly where the HEL cooler is getting airflow.

OP
OP
Sleepy

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
The brake duct entrance is below, between the bumper and lip. Exactly where the HEL cooler is getting airflow.
The duct is being split between the Oil cooler and the Brake duct. Not sure it's enough to actually affect the brakes as much as Pad/Rotor choice and or track.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm about to pull the trigger on one, design seems solid.
Did you end up getting one? If so, what's your experience?

Anyone else used this at the track and was overheating before?

Thanks

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you end up getting one? If so, what's your experience?

Anyone else used this at the track and was overheating before?

Thanks
Nah it's on my list but lot of life challenges popped up so wrenching on my car took a bit of a backseat. Barely got an oil change for my cars done lol. Hope to get someday it does look interesting, to me.

KiSchu42

First Name
Kilian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Hey,

after having temperature issues after just half a lap on the nurburgring I'm looking for a solution.
After reading this thread I think the HEL Kit could be the right answer.
The Pre-Facelift FK8 doesn't have an oil temperature readout (didn't find any other info/correct me if I'm wrong), so my best guess are the temperatures from the new FL5, which Youtuber Misha Charoudin has confirmed: After 6 Minutes over 150°C (302°F). After 3/4 of one Lap: Limp Mode.

So I want try this combination: 10W30 Engine Oil, HEL Oil Cooler (Because in europe we have that Adaptive Cruise Control sensor and removing fog lights is not highly recommended with german TUV), an oil temperature sensor (implemented in the sandwichplate of the kit) and the P3 Gauge.

Do you have any other recommendation/ideas?

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey,

after having temperature issues after just half a lap on the nurburgring I'm looking for a solution.
After reading this thread I think the HEL Kit could be the right answer.
The Pre-Facelift FK8 doesn't have an oil temperature readout (didn't find any other info/correct me if I'm wrong), so my best guess are the temperatures from the new FL5, which Youtuber Misha Charoudin has confirmed: After 6 Minutes over 150°C (302°F). After 3/4 of one Lap: Limp Mode.

So I want try this combination: 10W30 Engine Oil, HEL Oil Cooler (Because in europe we have that Adaptive Cruise Control sensor and removing fog lights is not highly recommended with german TUV), an oil temperature sensor (implemented in the sandwichplate of the kit) and the P3 Gauge.

Do you have any other recommendation/ideas?
Better radiator and this is the path I would go just as you have it. Interested to hear results with that Hel as you know

KiSchu42

First Name
Kilian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Better radiator and this is the path I would go just as you have it. Interested to hear results with that Hel as you know
Do you think so? The water is hot - yes, but i.m.o it's caused by the far to hot engine/engine oil.
On my last service I didn't specify to run 5W30 or 5W30 so they filled it with standard 0W20.

I just finished my calculation: The whole upgrade costs around 1,600€ (~$1,750).
I hope to recieve a bonus on my june paycheck😅

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Do you think so? The water is hot - yes, but i.m.o it's caused by the far to hot engine/engine oil.
On my last service I didn't specify to run 5W30 or 5W30 so they filled it with standard 0W20.

I just finished my calculation: The whole upgrade costs around 1,600€ (~$1,750).
Radiator is for sure needed.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

You mean 2900 when you ad the C&R Radiator lolol

Bonus it up!!!

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Just came back from a track day at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) run in low 80F temps. This is a very fast track and gets lots of air into the engine bay and the only cooling mod I have is a vented (Racelouver) hood. ECTs never went over 220F but oil temps got up to 264F according to LogR. Interesting that the stock rad worked really well with the hood but I likely need to consider an oil cooler as this is what would make me slow down or short shift for a lap or so. Ideally the best spot for an oil cooler would be behind the radiator as it has to be shedding the highest temps. The MAPerformance oil cooler mounts in front of the AC condenser and rad (which is obviously not ideal) but is honking big (too big?) and should have no issue cooling the oil sigificantly better than any fender/wheel well mounted unit. Anyone have experience with this one?

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Disappointed that there is no data available from manufacturer on this, and no real world test data available for not only the oil cooler itself but impact to brake duct flow, etc.

KiSchu42

First Name
Kilian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
After rewatching the video of the FL5 you can see that Oil gets around 105°C(221°F) when water has reached 99°C (210°F). I can see the issue with the fast rising water temps. Maybe I should first replace the radiator and get the real P3 Monitor as well, to see how the oil temps go with the new radiator? I'm so confused of what to do...

KiSchu42

First Name
Kilian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Racelouver
Not possible - Outstanding (is that the correct word?), sharp, Metalbits out of the hood. German TUV said: NOPE :D

The only vented Hood which is MAYBE possible is the one of Varis...
But spending 2-4k just for the police seize my car is not worth it...
Sponsored