Anyone removed vehicle from insurance during COVID? Now needs servicing!

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (WOP), 2019 Pilot Touring (Black)
Country flag
Not sure if others have similar experiences...

Since COVID hit, barely drove my baby '2016 Civic EX-T' as I've been working from home for over a year now.

Last month took civic off insurance (just fire/theft coverage while it sits in the garage/driveway - can't take it on road), as it costs me >$2,500/Year (yup, yay to that as I live in an awesome GTA postal code); using family SUV (2019 Pilot) for errands, lugging the kids around for drives, etc.

I generally just start the Civic for a few mins every week or so, just to keep the battery up. Last week I got maintenance minder A27 (oil change, brake fluid change, replace air cleaner element, air filter, inspect/adjust drive belt).

So, not knowing when I'd return to work or needing to use Civic regularly again (possibly not for another 6 months), should I get the insurance back to get it serviced or wait it out until I need the vehicle to get it serviced?

Wanted to get suggestions from fellow CivicXers/maintenance gurus out here...

Also, any other upkeeping tips while it rests in my garage?
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The maintenance minder goes by mileage and time. If you haven't actually been driving it, you likely don't actually need those services done. I'd just wait on them.

07EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I agree that you won't need to service the car as you haven't been driving it, however, you may want to park the car in the garage or at least move it up and down the driveway so that your breaks won't seize. Last year I parked my car from May until September in the driveway and when I drove the car for the first time, my breaks were completely shot. Luckily the car was still under warranty and Honda replaced all 4 pads and rotors, but if it weren't for the warranty I'd be paying over 1000 for the brake service.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree that you won't need to service the car as you haven't been driving it, however, you may want to park the car in the garage or at least move it up and down the driveway so that your breaks won't seize. Last year I parked my car from May until September in the driveway and when I drove the car for the first time, my breaks were completely shot. Luckily the car was still under warranty and Honda replaced all 4 pads and rotors, but if it weren't for the warranty I'd be paying over 1000 for the brake service.
Wow, you were lucky they did that for you, that is not a warrantable failure.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The maintenance minder goes by mileage and time. If you haven't actually been driving it, you likely don't actually need those services done. I'd just wait on them.
Agreed, but it is still a good idea to get her rolling, burn the old gas, get the parts lubed etc. I'd use the maintenance as a reason to stretch her legs.

OP
OP
CivicNut

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup, moving in/out of garage/driveway is most I've been doing. Also, friend suggested not to use parking brake so it doesn't seize up.
Great that you got the rotors/pads replaced for free, thought they were more operational wear/tear things that are not covered under warranty.

SonicTyphoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Not sure if this is an option in your area but maybe you could look into a mobile service option where they come to you to do maintenance?

In retrospect, I probably should have done the same with my insurance. I barely drove my Civic at all for like 6 months.

OP
OP
CivicNut

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure if this is an option in your area but maybe you could look into a mobile service option where they come to you to do maintenance?

In retrospect, I probably should have done the same with my insurance. I barely drove my Civic at all for like 6 months.
good idea, will make a few calls.

07EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Wow, you were lucky they did that for you, that is not a warrantable failure.
I was actually very surprised when they called me from the dealership to let me know that they're covering the cost of the repair. The lady actually said something about there being a recall on the brakes ... so I guess that's why they ended up paying for the repair. That and the fact that I had only 35K kilometres on the car so clearly the rotors shouldn't have been completely rusted out.

Yup, moving in/out of garage/driveway is most I've been doing. Also, friend suggested not to use parking brake so it doesn't seize up.
Great that you got the rotors/pads replaced for free, thought they were more operational wear/tear things that are not covered under warranty.
I wish I had the option not to use the parking brake, but my driveway has a pretty steep incline and I'm always afraid that the car will pop out of gear and roll down to the street.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was actually very surprised when they called me from the dealership to let me know that they're covering the cost of the repair. The lady actually said something about there being a recall on the brakes ... so I guess that's why they ended up paying for the repair. That and the fact that I had only 35K kilometres on the car so clearly the rotors shouldn't have been completely rusted out.
I don't remember hearing about any recalls on the brakes. Recalls are safety related btw.

Your brakes seized/rotors scored etc due to lack of movement and exposure to the elements. Dealers have to manage their inventory by moving the cars. Glad your tires didn't flat spot!

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I wish I had the option not to use the parking brake, but my driveway has a pretty steep incline and I'm always afraid that the car will pop out of gear and roll down to the street.
Face up or down and place in alternate gear. 1st or reverse. Block the wheels! It won't take much to stop it from rolling! If a small rubber wedge will stop a hydrovac truck from Moving it wouldn't take much for a car to hold. Just get something designed specifically for the job! and tap it tight into the tire.

Or not. I'm just an internet stranger!
Sponsored