Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet?

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I ended up with 245/35/R20 Pirelli P-Zero (N0) on the front and Michelin Sport 4s on the back. The extra 1/2 in of sidewall on each side is well worth it. I no longer scrape coming out of the parking garage at work so that little bit extra gave me the ground clearance I needed. Since they fill up the wheel well more, the car looks like it is lowered a touch even though it is actually higher off the ground. The extra sidewall handles the pot holes better as well. They kind of glide or bounced over it instead of feeling the tire actually fall into the hole and then hit the cliff on the way out if. It was a much less violent hit.

You can feel the turn in is not quite as sharp but it is a very minimal difference. Ride quality is improved a bit and I haven't noticed any extra road noise.

With the stock tires, I would have traction issues all the way into third in perfect dry conditions. Once switching to the Pirelli P-Zeros, there are no traction issues at all even when pushing it. In the wet and at 75%, still no traction issues. When I get the tires rotated, I will test out the Michelins and see if I get similar results.

The only thing I wish I could change is getting the speedometer to match up again but that is really not that big of a difference. When it says I am doing 60 mph, I am actually going 62.3 mph.
Sponsored

color me gone

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
How have the kumhos held up? Any issues? Thinking of going this route too. Mostly for price point.
Well after my first track day in my new CTR with the stock Cont's I have gone ahead and pulled the trigger on these Kumhos 255-35-20

I really like the factory wheel. Both looks and the fact of no torque steer and the variety of 20" tires out there, Some great wright-ups on these PS91's Plus the price point is a bit of a gotta try-em and we will see..........

Got them off Amazon, 4 Tires @ 560.00 delivered, next track day for me is 6/18/19 up at Thompson CT. anyone interested I will give an update.....

Nathan...........

tenshiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT, 2014 Mitsubishi RVR LE, 2018 Civic Type R #14978
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went to 2 separate tire shops in my area and their "experts" advised me against getting 255/35 for the stock rims :hmm:

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Did they provide a reason? Poor fit (May rub) or speedo error. Just curious what reason you were given.

tenshiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT, 2014 Mitsubishi RVR LE, 2018 Civic Type R #14978
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did they provide a reason? Poor fit (May rub) or speedo error. Just curious what reason you were given.
Rubbing was the main reason. Told me I would 100% rub in a full lock turn, as well as rubbing in the rear if I had passengers in the back seat.

KwonYoungForever

First Name
Kwon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Rubbing was the main reason. Told me I would 100% rub in a full lock turn, as well as rubbing in the rear if I had passengers in the back seat.
I have 255/35 on mine, no rubbing issues at all. And at C&C today had full car and no rubbing at all either. They have to say that at shops, so if anything were to happen, their not at fault. The shop I went to get mine told me that. Their computers say we only can go up to 245/35. But that’s not true.

First Name
Civvy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
So bought x4 Michilin pilot sport 4s in 255/35/20 coming from the stock conti 245/30/20.

Only had them on a day now but VERY impressed and happy, car is a different beast now.

I can now put the power down in any gear at any stage with no wheel spin / hop, including from a standing start.

As others have said the turning is a little less sharp but the trade off for the extra grip etc is worth it for daily driving imo.

Comfort wise I'm very impressed, while the stock aren't uncomfortable the extra sidewall on these is definitely noticeable and it's very comfortable especially more so on uneven surfaces and bumps compared to the stock.

I still have a set (just about) of the stock contis which I'll swap back on in two weeks time or so for a track day and burn through the remaining tread, or most of it.

Would be tempted to buy a set of 245/30/20 in the PS4S' to see how they compare to stock for track duty but don't know.

Would also love to take the 255/35 on track and see how they hold up, would be very interesting with the extra grip and power out of corners etc but I am a bit weary of putting another new set on track duty

Car is noticeably higher, not by a massive amount but I notice it, the little bit of extra clearance is nice for example getting it on and off the wheel allignment machine I think would have scraped if ot was on the 30s.

I won't bother with pics as there's a few and the car is dirty ATM but no issues found so far. Running stock PSI recommendations of 2.8bar front 2.3 back (41 / 32 psi)

E: forgot to mention they're also cheaper by about 30-40euro (around 60ish dollars) per corner for whatever reason than the 245/30 so happy days. 200 per corner. Would highly recommend everyone try the wider (good quality) tyres at least once on stock rims!

color me gone

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Great to hear thanks.....

If the Kumho's are a fail on the track I will go with the Mich. 4's I know they are are a serious tire just trying to see if a lower price point tire will give similar results, I will know soon as I have the Kumho,s mounted up.

Thanks again on a good wright up.......Nathan

BurgerSlayer

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m a complete noob when it comes to these sorts of things (switching tire sizes from OEM) but other than a speedometer discrepancy are there any issues that can develop down the road from changing the tire size? Premature wear on other parts from doing so? I know swapping springs without adjusting shocks and struts depending on drop amount wears them out quicker as well as maybe the bushings but do tire size swaps do anything negative? (Only know because I did a spring swap previously) I love the OEM wheel and with my purchase NOT including the tire and wheel warranty from the dealer at $595 for 72 months I’m mentally kicking myself. Thanks in advance!

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just ordered the Falken Azenis FK510s. Size is 245\35\20. The performance rating is supposed to be close to the Michelin PS4S according to Tirerack.com. I'll see how well they hold up.

Screenshot_20190419-093607_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190419-093511_Chrome.jpg

20190419_080533.jpg
How do you like the Falken FK510? I'm also considering these as they're on sale on SimpleTire. Best decent-quality summer tires I could find under 150.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
So bought x4 Michilin pilot sport 4s in 255/35/20 coming from the stock conti 245/30/20.

Only had them on a day now but VERY impressed and happy, car is a different beast now.

I can now put the power down in any gear at any stage with no wheel spin / hop, including from a standing start.

As others have said the turning is a little less sharp but the trade off for the extra grip etc is worth it for daily driving imo.

Comfort wise I'm very impressed, while the stock aren't uncomfortable the extra sidewall on these is definitely noticeable and it's very comfortable especially more so on uneven surfaces and bumps compared to the stock.

I still have a set (just about) of the stock contis which I'll swap back on in two weeks time or so for a track day and burn through the remaining tread, or most of it.

Would be tempted to buy a set of 245/30/20 in the PS4S' to see how they compare to stock for track duty but don't know.

Would also love to take the 255/35 on track and see how they hold up, would be very interesting with the extra grip and power out of corners etc but I am a bit weary of putting another new set on track duty

Car is noticeably higher, not by a massive amount but I notice it, the little bit of extra clearance is nice for example getting it on and off the wheel allignment machine I think would have scraped if ot was on the 30s.

I won't bother with pics as there's a few and the car is dirty ATM but no issues found so far. Running stock PSI recommendations of 2.8bar front 2.3 back (41 / 32 psi)

E: forgot to mention they're also cheaper by about 30-40euro (around 60ish dollars) per corner for whatever reason than the 245/30 so happy days. 200 per corner. Would highly recommend everyone try the wider (good quality) tyres at least once on stock rims!
I understand these are a summer tire just like the stock tires. I used my stock tires all winter here and am wondering if these would perform the same/similar?

First Name
Civvy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I understand these are a summer tire just like the stock tires. I used my stock tires all winter here and am wondering if these would perform the same/similar?
No idea to be honest. Haven't had them long enough and we don't get winter's bad enough for winter tyres and I haven't had a winter with them :p they're great in the wet though if that's any help

OoooWeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
How do you like the Falken FK510? I'm also considering these as they're on sale on SimpleTire. Best decent-quality summer tires I could find under 150.
I like these tires so far for everyday use. They provide good grip in dry weather and are very good in wet weather. I took them to an HPDE and easily reached the limits of this tire. While it performed ok on the track, I would look elsewhere for tires if you intend to be on the track often. After the HPDE event wet traction decreased on street, but not by too much. Pics are after 6 sessions at the HPDE.

Bottom line: These tires perform well for street use. Performance at the track to me is just satisfactory.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet? Front Driver

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet? Rear Driver

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone ran 245/35 or 255/35 tires instead of the 30 series instead yet? Front Passenger

qkquannguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2019
Country flag
Thanks to this post I decided to go with the conties dws 06 245/35/20 once my OEM tires are gone! My only question is, as my daily commuter (50-70 miles / day) would the 245 width or 255 width be better? I want them to be more all season. Not going to take them to the tracks and Dallas Ft Worth area roads are okay. Bumps here and there and some pot holes in more less developed areas.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
Thanks to this post I decided to go with the conties dws 06 245/35/20 once my OEM tires are gone! My only question is, as my daily commuter (50-70 miles / day) would the 245 width or 255 width be better? I want them to be more all season. Not going to take them to the tracks and Dallas Ft Worth area roads are okay. Bumps here and there and some pot holes in more less developed areas.
I went with the DWS 06 245/35/20 on my OEM rims. Love them. Much smoother ride on these awful roads. Can't speak on the wider width but I'm happy so far
Sponsored