Anyone prefer the 2.0 vs the 1.5t?

gwaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac vibe
Agreed, I took my chances with first year model because it's Honda, but the fact still remains that the 1.5T has more moving parts and generates more heat than the 2.0 NA. Between the two engines the 2.0 NA will be the one with cheaper maintenance and easier to fix. How reliable was the TD03 turbo they used on other cars such as BMW and Volvo? Another reason why I went with the 2.0 NA was because a friend of mine had issues with his turbo car and he had to pay over $2,000 for repair cost. I was willing to take the risk with first year model for the 10th generation civic but not with the turbo. Maybe I'll go turbo in the next 5 years and most likely by then they would probably phase out all NA engines and all base models will only have turbo.
I have a friend who had a newer VW Beatles with Turbo. It was a problem for him as well.
Sponsored

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was reluctant on getting the 1.5T at first, but then when the hatch was announced, the only option was the 1.5T, I went and looked for a manual, and got it, happy I did, turbo has a sweet kick to it, reminds me of driving the 5th gen Prelude.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I would rather get a Corolla over a 2L civic
No way, even the 2.0 NA civic 110 % beats the corolla out in performance and driving dynamics. Back when I had my 2013 ford focus (also 2.0 NA engine) someone had hit it and I needed a rental, so I was given a Corolla for a couple weeks. The performance was enough in the sense that it could get up to speed, but it was lethargic at best in terms of feel. Adding on that handling was numb and bland, and the civic k20c2 engine feels so much more lively and spirited than the 1.8 in the corolla, there isn't even a competition.

Asmith

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx cvt, 2009 hummer H3
Country flag
I went with the 2.0 also because of reliablity concerns, and this was a car I’d eventually hand down to my 17 year old daughter. I can say I absolutely hate the cvt. It feels so choppy and unrefined at low speeds

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I went with the 2.0 also because of reliablity concerns, and this was a car I’d eventually hand down to my 17 year old daughter. I can say I absolutely hate the cvt. It feels so choppy and unrefined at low speeds
If you think the CVT is unrefined, try driving a Focus with the DCT Powershift automatic. The Honda all of a sudden feels smooth as butter.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
If you think the CVT is unrefined, try driving a Focus with the DCT Powershift automatic. The Honda all of a sudden feels smooth as butter.
Amen to that. My whole reason for buying my civic was I couldn't take my old 2013 focus's transmission shudders and jerks from the DCT automatic. It got to the point where it was acrually unsafe for me to drive it. The CVT in the Honda is smooth as butter compared to it and I have no complaints.

HatchorNada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic Hatch
I test drove both and decided on the 2.0. The 1.5 is faster but what sold me on the 2.0 is how much quieter the engine is. The 1.5 had the typical turbo growl and that was enough for me to choose the quieter engine. The 2.0 is no slouch anyways :)
I just aired up the tires to 40 psi warm, and a prodigious 37 psi cold, (i even let some out to get it to 35 psi cold but I realized they never get cold in the summer down hure), so curtailed and left about 35-36 psi in there, just now in the garage. Did I go too low? I used to follow the trite and hackneyed adage of, never bleed air that you already got', anyone?
Sponsored

Last edited: