Anyone planing Synthetic oil after first oil change?

sunny786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda CRV
is that a good idea to go Synthetic after first oil change? Is that worth doing that? Or its not a good idea? What are the sugestions from experts. I'm running EX-T.
Sponsored

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Honda OEM oil is not regular, but a synthetic blend. It's not a full synthetic, but you can do 7500 miles on it, based on your driving and what your Civic tells you. Having used Mobil 1, and the more expensive Eneos oil from Japan, I would now stay with the OEM Honda Synthetic and go based on the car's recommendation.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
is that a good idea to go Synthetic after first oil change? Is that worth doing that? Or its not a good idea? What are the sugestions from experts. I'm running EX-T.
Personally I don't recall ever seeing a 0W-20 oil that wasn't synthetic. (Apart from Honda's bottle-only semi-synthetic blend, actually.) You may not have a choice.

At my local dealership they have a 0W-20 oil change (which is full synthetic) for like $36. That's where I'd recommend taking any new Honda. Unless you want to do it yourself, but even then it won't really be about saving money - Walmart 0W-20 5qt bottle is $26, plus you'd have to buy the filter and plug washer.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
And you can go longer between oil changes.
Well, this is debatable (much like everything oil-related). The oil manufacturers themselves do not suggest extending intervals with synthetic (except in the case of the new extended-interval specific oils they're now trying to sell). And the vehicle manufacturers do not suggest extending intervals. All oils, conventional or synthetic, have additives that break down over time and use. And another good argument I've heard is that while oils continue to get better and better, oil filter technology hasn't really changed. So you're using the same oil filter for 10-15k miles now that you used to use for 3k miles. Do you trust the filter for that type of lifespan? The truth is, you should follow Honda's Maintenance Minder for oil change intervals. And if you do, you will see that the intervals are affected little if any by the use of synthetic versus conventional.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Where synthetic oil shines for me is during cold weather starts. The synthetic oil flows a lot better at low temps compared to dino oil so the engine turns over easier. Less important for me but great for southern climate cars is the fact that synthetic oil doesn't break down as quickly when it gets hot. I agree with all statements here that say to stick with recommended intervals between oil/ filter changes.

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I use synthetic and change per the Honda recommendations. Synthetic oil is very pure, zero to little wax and other nasty stuff to turn into sludge in your engine. Very good peace of mind for the money. I've been using Valvoline full synthetic 0W-20 in my Accord. I think I'll keep right on using it in this Civic.

MtheBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I thought you had to use synthetic in these new cars, honestly i don't see why you wouldn't. Also have you noticed in the Maintenance Minder code A says to just change oil and code B is to change oil and filter. I've read a couple of articles on how it decides when you need to change your oil and apparently the sensors in the car are pretty accurate on when the oil actually goes bad.

scsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring, 2003 Element EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using Amsoil in my motorcycle and Element for many years now. I can't tell you if its making a difference, but I haven't had any problems. I'll probably stick to the book for my new Civic for a while, though.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
"Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process. American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

http://owners.honda.com/help/faqs#faq-2

The original oil does have a higher molybdenum content for better protection during the break-in period... I'll still be doing the first oil change in my future 2016 Civic coupe 2.0 manual at near 1000 kms, but with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20. It is an excellent quality synthetic oil, which is often on special at Canadian Tire (for Canadians)

Quaker State's proprietary moly formula of its Ultimate Durability synthetic oil shows well here in PQIA's recent 0W-20 test results, with over 3 times the regular amount of molybdenum.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated 0W-20.html

http://www.techshopmag.com/quaker-s...fuel-economy-and-unsurpassed-wear-protection/

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-State-Ultimate-Durability-5W30-Motor-Oil-5-qt/36250522p/

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/quaker-state-full-synthetic-oil-0w20-0289066p.html#.VmVgYrgrLtQ

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
My Honda dealership only uses Full synthetic unless you ask for something else.
I'll stick with that, because my CRV and my Crosstour, only asked for oil changes every 9000 to 9500 miles, which puts me at 2 oil changes a year roughly
Sponsored