Anyone paid a shop to install a chrome delete kit?

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I ordered my chrome delete from Unity Performance. It’s by Jets Vinyl. Still waiting after ordering it 2 weeks ago ? but I wouldn’t pay a shop that much money. I should have asked the guy who did my tint on my windows if he does that but not sure. My boyfriend paid for my window tint. I think people think for such an easy job they wanna charge more because of the time it takes to wrap the chrome ??‍♀
Well, time is money......you're paying almost entirely for labor/experience.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jimmyreal

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the $200-250 quotes I finally got back today are well within the norm.

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback
I paid 15 bucks for a roll of vinyl. Took me about an hour and a half maybe. I did it the lazy way and didnt remove the side mirrors. Would definitely suggest to remove mirror for cleaner look. Just take it slow and have a very sharp blade. This was back in May.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone paid a shop to install a chrome delete kit? IMG_20200531_160246

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone paid a shop to install a chrome delete kit? IMG_20200531_160253

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For those prices you could probably get window vent covers. For my coupe I got mugen style from ebay, racing bees brand and it did a pretty great job to cover all the chrome. And keeps the rain put if I want to crack the windows to get some fresh air when it's raining.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone paid a shop to install a chrome delete kit? 20190627_095546

JCramin

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan- Daughter 2012 Civic Coupe - Son 1999 Civic Coupe
Country flag
Has anyone tried To use Plasti Dip for chrome delete?
I have used Plasti Dip for chrome/gloss delete on several vehicles for years. Also used rattle can red paint for my Honda logos on my Si I have now.

I used matte black Plasti Dip on my 2011 Honda CR-Z and it lasted the 9 years I owned the car.

OP
OP
jimmyreal

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For those prices you could probably get window vent covers.
It’s a good thought, but on the sedan there’s the valence windows, which also have the chrome trim.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried 3 times with a roll of vinyl tape and I still couldn't get it right. Theres always a tiny bit of chrome poking out, particularly around the long flat bottom part towards the back which is a nightmare to cut the vinyl to size for. Finally ordered a pre-cut kit, we'll see how it fits when it arrives.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did mine with a small roll of matte vinyl that I bought. I did OK but learned what I did wrong for when I redo them better. There is a product called knife-less tape. Give it a look. I bought some to try. It can be a game changer.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
For those prices you could probably get window vent covers. For my coupe I got mugen style from ebay, racing bees brand and it did a pretty great job to cover all the chrome. And keeps the rain put if I want to crack the windows to get some fresh air when it's raining.

20190627_095546.jpg
Doesn't work for Sedans.

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
I was talking to a tint/ stereo guy about it and he said the reason he does not do it is that it inevitably will start to come off and look bad; IE he cant really guarantee the work.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Why not? Just get a useless valence window cover. He's got a useless rear window cover.
That's the problem. Never been able to find any. The difference is that while it's useless for the coupe since the rear window doesn't roll down, it's a big enough piece to justify making them since it can go all the way across. Nobody is making them for that little small window. Nobody that I can find at least.

OP
OP
jimmyreal

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not? Just get a useless valence window cover. He's got a useless rear window cover.
I'll either get it professional looking or I'll leave it as is... that's just the way I am. I have 0 issue paying, and paying well, for expertise + time; I don't work free or cheap, either.

OP
OP
jimmyreal

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely. I'm on your side here. Anyone who says "why pay someone so much for something so easy" hasn't attempted it themselves to see how "easy" it is.

I'm just ragging on the coupe owner a little, tbh. Probably a little mean :(
I try to stick to the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" when it comes to car mods, but sometimes that's really hard to do ?

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I paid 15 bucks for a roll of vinyl. Took me about an hour and a half maybe. I did it the lazy way and didnt remove the side mirrors. Would definitely suggest to remove mirror for cleaner look. Just take it slow and have a very sharp blade. This was back in May.

IMG_20200531_160246.jpg

IMG_20200531_160253.jpg
It looks great! Has it held up pretty well? No peeling or bubbling? I'm debating paint vs vinyl- paint is more expensive and time consuming but seems more durable?