Anyone know what this is?

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I was adjusting my clutch master cylinder rod to remove some play and saw this joker dangling down. Is this for the keyless entry or something else? My car is a 1028 type r but it may not be r specific...

Thanks for the help!

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone know what this is? 20190726_142541
Sponsored

Rc1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Looks like something aftermarket. Maybe alarm/shock sensor or lojack

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know exactly what that is. It’s a GPS device that’s sold by dealerships thru a company called Spireon and the tracking service is called Kahu. It's a subscription based service that dealers charge car buyers so they can 1. get extra money by doing nothing and 2. track your mileage thru the gps device and the subscription service and then bombard you with reminders to bring the car in for maintenance.

How do I know this? A dealer (which I won't ever set foot in anymore) tried to sell me on this "dealer installed option" on my CR-V even though I told them I didn't want it. Including nitrogen filled tires. And a whole bunch of "value added" accessories that jumped up the price of the CR-V.

Long story short, they eventually took off the cost of these items (or in reality re-configured the pricing) so that the salesguy still got a commish on "selling" these things even though I never knew or wanted them in the first place. I told them to remove the device (exactly like the one that's pictured) and they told me that they couldn't and that it would mess up the car's electronics, blah, blah, blah. I still refused the service and wouldn't even sign a contract for the service.

I drove home with the CR-V, did some research (gotta love Google) and did some snooping and sure enough, I found the device attached and piggy-backed off the OBD port. And it was "ON".

If yours was as sloppily installed as mine (it looks like it), you can feel for the connector and just disconnect the damned thing. That's what I did. It's sitting on a shelf gathering dust now.

Edit: I should say, though, that if you wanted that service and you know what it does and you're willing to pay a monthly fee for it then you do you. I just didn't want or need a third party or the dealership to track me and hound me for maintenance or whatever.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone know what this is? YP1UvJv

Last edited:
OP
OP
krees

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know exactly what that is. It’s a GPS device that’s sold by dealerships thru a company called Spireon and the tracking service is called Kahu. It's a subscription based service that dealers charge car buyers so they can 1. get extra money by doing nothing and 2. track your mileage thru the gps device and the subscription service and then bombard you with reminders to bring the car in for maintenance.

How do I know this? A dealer (which I won't ever set foot in anymore) tried to sell me on this "dealer installed option" on my CR-V even though I told them I didn't want it. Including nitrogen filled tires. And a whole bunch of "value added" accessories that jumped up the price of the CR-V.

Long story short, they eventually took off the cost of these items (or in reality re-configured the pricing) so that the salesguy still got a commish on "selling" these things even though I never knew or wanted them in the first place. I told them to remove the device (exactly like the one that's pictured) and they told me that they couldn't and that it would mess up the car's electronics, blah, blah, blah. I still refused the service and wouldn't even sign a contract for the service.

I drove home with the CR-V, did some research (gotta love Google) and did some snooping and sure enough, I found the device attached and piggy-backed off the OBD port. And it was "ON".

If yours was as sloppily installed as mine (it looks like it), you can feel for the connector and just disconnect the damned thing. That's what I did. It's sitting on a shelf gathering dust now.

Edit: I should say, though, that if you wanted that service and you know what it does and you're willing to pay a monthly fee for it then you do you. I just didn't want or need a third party or the dealership to track me and hound me for maintenance or whatever.

YP1UvJv.jpg
Awesome. Much appreciate the clear and detailed explanation. I'm sure you nailed it as there is a green led that blinks. I think I'll be removing it as an unknown "gps tracking" device plugged into my cars obd port goes against my libertarian sensibilities. Thanks a bunch for the detailed response!

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome. Much appreciate the clear and detailed explanation. I'm sure you nailed it as there is a green led that blinks. I think I'll be removing it as an unknown "gps tracking" device plugged into my cars obd port goes against my libertarian sensibilities. Thanks a bunch for the detailed response!
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone know what this is? giphy

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you take it out that's an invasion of privacy

OP
OP
krees

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I took it out last night. An thanks again silver rascal for the identification of that thing. I was worried I may never know and don't trust the dealers enough to give me an honest answer.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone know what this is? 20190726_212939

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
So what did the plug connect to under the dash? Was there an aftermarket thingy spliced into the wiring?

Freakin' dealerships, man.

OP
OP
krees

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not too sure...appeared it was spliced into the obd port. The connector was fine but the wires were loose and it just seemed like a shoddy install. Oh well.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took it out last night. An thanks again silver rascal for the identification of that thing. I was worried I may never know and don't trust the dealers enough to give me an honest answer.

20190726_212939.jpg
Noice. Just for sheets and grins, you should dangle that over your rear view mirror when and if you show up to the dealership for service... haha

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd be chucking that thing at somebodies head if I found that thing installed in my car without my knowledge. That seems extremely illegal to put in somebodies car without consent.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
It boggles my mind that the dealer couldn't securely affix the device with double sided tape. Stuff like this makes me wonder what kind of shit happens in the service bays...

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It boggles my mind that the dealer couldn't securely affix the device with double sided tape. Stuff like this makes me wonder what kind of shit happens in the service bays...
You really don't want to know... I worked at 2 dealerships as a mechanic for almost 4 years doing recalls and aftermarket installs (heated seats, DVD players, ect).
Sponsored