Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet?

stevevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,
Has anyone installed a trailer hitch on a 2017 Sedan (touring)?

Reading the above, it seems like the two choices are the Curt and the Draw-Tite:
https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Honda_Civic.htm?style=Sedan
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Civic/2016/24937.html?vehicleid=201644166

The Curt requires hole drilling - not recommended above.
The Draw-Tite is for 2016 – maybe the pre-drilled holes don't exist in the 2017. The Draw-Tite website does not list this hitch for 2017s.

I would buy the hitch and have it professionally installed. It would only be used for a bike rack.

Has anyone put a hitch 2017 Sedan?

Barry.
Yes I just installed on 17 civic exl with no problems. Very nice fit.

iLLNESS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 EG k20a2, 2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hello,

Reading the above, it seems like the two choices are the Curt and the Draw-Tite:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Civic/2016/24937.html?vehicleid=201644166

The Draw-Tite is for 2016 – maybe the pre-drilled holes don't exist in the 2017. The Draw-Tite website does not list this hitch for 2017s.

I would buy the hitch and have it professionally installed. It would only be used for a bike rack.

Barry.
There is a new model https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Civic/2017/24954.html?vehicleid=201752252 that allegedly support the 2017. I don't see why it wouldn't fit, I doubt there's any different between the hardware mounting. The only difference I can see is the hole cutout needs to be bigger (either because the receiver is larger, or the bumper has a different shape).

What I'm wondering is how peoples wiring experiences were for the ones who are towing trailers, and not just using the hitch for bikes.

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Here's what I've found so far, not much help, especially for hatch.
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet? upload_2017-4-21_8-37-19

OP
OP
ppawlows

ppawlows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTI, 2016 LX 6MT
There is a new model https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Civic/2017/24954.html?vehicleid=201752252 that allegedly support the 2017. I don't see why it wouldn't fit, I doubt there's any different between the hardware mounting. The only difference I can see is the hole cutout needs to be bigger (either because the receiver is larger, or the bumper has a different shape).

What I'm wondering is how peoples wiring experiences were for the ones who are towing trailers, and not just using the hitch for bikes.
I used a simple 20 dollar wiring harness and just spliced it into the tail light wires and did not run wire to the battery. No problems at all. The only thing I have noticed is that the car wires are thin, so be careful not to break them.
2016 and 2017 civics are identical, so I do not understand how trailer hitch may not be compatible? Sometimes it is just a matter of hitch being tested on particular model before fitment can be confirmed.
Go for the hitch that attaches to the bumper with no drilling.

OP
OP
ppawlows

ppawlows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTI, 2016 LX 6MT
Hello,

Barry.
What pre-drilled holes are you referring to? Please do not confuse things, the draw-tite hitch attaches to the bumper holes. These are the same for 2016 and 2017 civics. Below are a few pics from my installation, which is fairly straight forward.
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet? WP_20160507_002
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet? WP_20160507_003
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet? WP_20160507_004
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet? WP_20160507_005
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet? WP_20160507_006
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet? WP_20160507_009

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
ppawlows, can you shed some light on why those holes in the bumper need cut open like that? Thanks!

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
ppawlows, can you shed some light on why those holes in the bumper need cut open like that? Thanks!
Educated guess:

For the face of the hitch mounting surface to mount flush with the bumper support, some metal must be removed from the latter. In other words, there is some kind of protrusion or tab on the hitch that would prevent the hitch and bumper faces from matching up properly. At least this is what I recall from a similar installation I did a while back.

canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
There are installation instructions on the Draw-Tite website that show the bumper cover underside needs to be notched in order to fit around the vertical drop from the trailer hitch. Earlier in this thread someone post pictures of installation and it seems from the Draw-Tite website that it may not be visible at all.

http://www.draw-tite.com/support/installation/N24954.pdf

I just returned from a local muffler shop. They will install the Draw-Tite 24954 on my 2017 Civic sedan touring in a couple days.

Hopefully I can post some pics.

Barry.

OP
OP
ppawlows

ppawlows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTI, 2016 LX 6MT
As canalrun posted, it is required for fascia clearance, see link in his post to installation instructions (slide #6). Basically, after hitch is installed, the bumper sits further out and it interferes with bumper cover.

canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
As canalrun posted, it is required for fascia clearance, see link in his post to installation instructions (slide #6). Basically, after hitch is installed, the bumper sits further out and it interferes with bumper cover.
Thanks for your reply.

I like the idea of a trailer hitch mounted bike rack, but I just don't have the proper tools or capability to mount one myself. I went to a local muffler shop that installed a hitch for me sometime around 1997 on a different car. They said they could install the Draw-Tite on my 2017 civic sedan, but when installation day arrived they said they weren't able to do it.

The local Honda dealer pointed me toward a body shop – they said they would do it if I bought the hitch.

The Draw-Tite installation instructions mention removing some material from the physical metal bumper in order to make the bumper cover fit after installation. They are are not too specific about how much or exactly where. Do you remember how much material needed to be removed, where, and does the bumper cover fit well after the hitch installation?

Thanks very much. I should receive the Draw-Tite hitch this coming Wednesday. Hopefully I can get it put on by the weekend and enjoy a bike ride :).

Barry.

stevevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your reply.

I like the idea of a trailer hitch mounted bike rack, but I just don't have the proper tools or capability to mount one myself. I went to a local muffler shop that installed a hitch for me sometime around 1997 on a different car. They said they could install the Draw-Tite on my 2017 civic sedan, but when installation day arrived they said they weren't able to do it.

The local Honda dealer pointed me toward a body shop – they said they would do it if I bought the hitch.

The Draw-Tite installation instructions mention removing some material from the physical metal bumper in order to make the bumper cover fit after installation. They are are not too specific about how much or exactly where. Do you remember how much material needed to be removed, where, and does the bumper cover fit well after the hitch installation?

Thanks very much. I should receive the Draw-Tite hitch this coming Wednesday. Hopefully I can get it put on by the weekend and enjoy a bike ride :).

Barry.
Hey Barry, The installation instructions are pretty good about where to cut. Your just taking off the outer corners of the bumper bar so the cover will fit over. It went real well. No problems!

Last edited:

canalrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Hey Barry, The installation instructions are pretty good about where to cut. Your just taking off the outer corners of the bumper bar so the cover will fit over. It went real well. No problems!
I'm psyched!

I got the DrawTite 29454

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet? upload_2017-5-11_18-52-50

installed on my 2017 Civic sedan by a local body shop today. It took them about 45 minutes. The results are great!

Time for a bike ride :).

Barry.
Sponsored

Last edited: