Anyone installed trailer hitch, yet?

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
The owners manual clearly states that the Honda Civic is not rated for towing. Put on a trailer hitch and kiss your warranty goodbye.

Go to page 395:

"Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties."

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Curt Mfg. model on order. It will arrive shortly but will wait until winter has passed for good before installing.

I spoke to my dealer about it. They know me quite well. My only desire for the hitch is to use a 2 bike rack (Yakima Ridgeback 2). I will not be towing anything per say. The two bikes I will haul around total just over 40 pounds. My dealer had no concern about my use case...

I also believe there are lots of replies to threads about don't do this or don't do that or your warranty will be void. There is that potential but I believe it is limited to the extent that the modification potentially caused damage to... in this case I guess that system would be the powertrain assuming what you were towing placed undue stress or hardship upon it. It would not void the complete warranty to the vehicle.

I have also found it helpful to just speak with my Honda Service Manager. Any modification I have discussed has not been an issue and he openly stated it would not impact the vehicle's warranty.... your mileage will vary.

Last edited:

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My experience: despite what any tech / manager / salesperson will tell you, when the cards are on the table, Honda will look for any reason to make you pay for the repair instead of covering it for you. There's a fairly well publicized story some time ago about how Harley denied a warranty claim on a transmission because the rider had a mount for a flag which they said, when used, increased the drag of the bike to outside specification and caused the transmission to fail. The design of a CVT also makes them extremely poorly suited for towing. My suggestion would be to get a roof rack or rent / purchase another car for those times when you need to tow something.

jdubau55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T MSM
Country flag
Also interested. Not for towing, but for bikes. I feel like it's much easier and economical fuel wise to use a hitch mounted bike rack.

I think it's a US thing. Lots of US cars aren't rated for towing, but the Canadian version is rated. A small trailer for hauling appliances or large items would be fine. I mean put 3 full size adults in the cabin and you're talking 500 lbs. What difference is that 500 lb. compared to 500lb. worth of trailer? Still have to accelerate and stop 500 lb.

chechr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Also interested. Not for towing, but for bikes. I feel like it's much easier and economical fuel wise to use a hitch mounted bike rack.

I think it's a US thing. Lots of US cars aren't rated for towing, but the Canadian version is rated. A small trailer for hauling appliances or large items would be fine. I mean put 3 full size adults in the cabin and you're talking 500 lbs. What difference is that 500 lb. compared to 500lb. worth of trailer? Still have to accelerate and stop 500 lb.
The difference is to be rated for X lbs of towing the brakes and transmission must be able to handle a full passenger load + X. Having said that I agree that it probably can handle a small trailer with no issues but since it would make zero difference in sales, Honda just says no towing.

Control freak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX manual
I have a Curt Mfg. model on order. It will arrive shortly but will wait until winter has passed for good before installing.

I spoke to my dealer about it. They know me quite well. My only desire for the hitch is to use a 2 bike rack (Yakima Ridgeback 2). I will not be towing anything per say. The two bikes I will haul around total just over 40 pounds.
What class/size receiver are you planning on putting on? I assume that a 2" box could stand torque from a couple of swaying bikes better, but since the Yakima is 1-1/4" and only uses and adaptor for 2", I guess the rack is the limiting factor.

Given the ubiquity of hitch mount accessories, the presence of a hitch on a car certainly doesn't mean that it was used for towing. Now, if you had a light plug, ball, and extended mirrors...

jdubau55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T MSM
Country flag
The difference is to be rated for X lbs of towing the brakes and transmission must be able to handle a full passenger load + X. Having said that I agree that it probably can handle a small trailer with no issues but since it would make zero difference in sales, Honda just says no towing.
True. I just remember my 2010 Fit wasn't rated, but the Canadian model was. Not sure if there were any differences.

I doubt you will be able to get a 2" hitch, but who knows?

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What class/size receiver are you planning on putting on? I assume that a 2" box could stand torque from a couple of swaying bikes better, but since the Yakima is 1-1/4" and only uses and adaptor for 2", I guess the rack is the limiting factor.

Given the ubiquity of hitch mount accessories, the presence of a hitch on a car certainly doesn't mean that it was used for towing. Now, if you had a light plug, ball, and extended mirrors...
It's a 1 1/4" (Class-1) hitch as is the Yakima rack. Only carrying two very light weight road bikes.

Receiver Tube Size 1 1/4 IN
Weight Carrying Capacity(WC) 2000 LB
Tongue Weight(TW) 200 LB

OP
OP
ppawlows

ppawlows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTI, 2016 LX 6MT
The owners manual clearly states that the Honda Civic is not rated for towing. Put on a trailer hitch and kiss your warranty goodbye.

Go to page 395:

"Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties."
I think this statement is relevant to the cvt, only. I have a LX 2.0 6MT and do not see towing being a problem. Most passenger cars are rated for towing between 1500-2000 lbs, this includes Toyota echo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ppawlows

ppawlows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTI, 2016 LX 6MT
Do you have to drill holes in the frame?

I spoke to my dealer about it. They know me quite well. My only desire for the hitch is to use a 2 bike rack (Yakima Ridgeback 2). I will not be towing anything per say. The two bikes I will haul around total just over 40 pounds. My dealer had no concern about my use case...

I also believe there are lots of replies to threads about don't do this or don't do that or your warranty will be void. There is that potential but I believe it is limited to the extent that the modification potentially caused damage to... in this case I guess that system would be the powertrain assuming what you were towing placed undue stress or hardship upon it. It would not void the complete warranty to the vehicle.

I have also found it helpful to just speak with my Honda Service Manager. Any modification I have discussed has not been and issue and he openly stated it would not impact the vehicle's warranty.... your mileage will vary.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I'm surprised the new Civic isn't rated for towing. My Acura RSX (about the same size and weight) is tow-rated for 1000 lbs. There's a whole chapter in the manual on towing. I've got an auto too.

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
ppawlows

ppawlows

Threads