Anyone install protection for their intercooler?

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I was thinking about intercooler protection and found this thread. I too dreamed up with a mesh screen idea, but consider how Honda has designed the hatchbacks with hexagonal grill protection for the intercooler. We sedan/coupe owners need a replacement part like this. I for one don't want to be out in nowheresville when a shard of scrap metal punctures my intercooler...
I think you could still limp home. There are probably more critical things a shard of scrap metal could contact that could ruin your day.
Sponsored

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Ya that makes sense. I definitely need the protection from all the road salt whipping up and hitting the intercooler. Maybe if it's easy enough to install/remove than I'll just do that seasonally.
I'm in Canada as well and debated doing this once reading it, however I'd be a bit worried if the whole thing were to freeze over then your getting no air flow right? Mind you it would still be damn cold, so who knows.

I think this is one mod I may pass on, but I'll keep an eye on the intercooler on my car now.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
you guys never put anything to protect the radiator with other cars. why start now for the intercooler. A radiator is more fragile than the intercooler

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
you guys never put anything to protect the radiator with other cars. why start now for the intercooler. A radiator is more fragile than the intercooler
Some of us did the same thing with our EPs (no turbo, but the radiator and a/c condenser were exposed). I never got around to doing it on mine and never had any real damage. I'm not sure if anyone else had damage, either, but adding some mesh was mainly for peace of mind and to have another little bit of personalization.
Sponsored