Diamond Ned

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
It’s such a hard decision, without knowing any specs for the 2022.

I’m planning on 100% getting a type r next spring. The only thing, is it worth getting the last year of the 10th gen, with the next gen on the horizon? There’s always the prospect of 400hp stock, (unlikely)AWD, better infotainment, etc. it’s such a hard choice. But I don’t wanna wait two years to grab one.

I suppose the lack of depreciation on these cars could be good in terms of getting a 2021 and then selling it for a an 11th gen if it’s enticing enough?
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Getting a 2021 and then selling for a 2022 is a terrible idea. When the new shiny Type R comes out our FK8 won't be holding value similarly - it will be a generation old.

I thought of the same thing - but I cracked. I love driving this thing.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you can't wait just lease for 2 years, by the time the lease is over the mid year of the new type r will be out and most the kinks sorted from the first model year will be fixed.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
If you want to own one, just buy it. It's not going to depreciate much.
Also consider the possibility that new gen type R might get bombarded with astronomical markup like the initial release of 2017.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
This car is badass as it sits, nothing wrong with getting this one now and being happy. There will always be tweaks and changes, doesn't mean it will be a better car. If you keep waiting for 'the next best thing' you may never enjoy the here and now. Also 400hp AWD is a pipe dream - they seem to really want to prove what can be down with FWD so I expect more focus on making that better which negates the AWD and more than likely 400hp due to traction issues.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I believe more dealers are starting to let the FK8 go for MSRP more due to the news of the 11th gen releases

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I've said it before and Ill say it again there is a chance we wont see a 2022. and if so then buying one now and then selling in 2022 will most likely get you a nice return. Or at least not loose much if anything. The type Rs history and with Honda at that, is know to skip years between models and generations. 7th gen to 8th gen skipped a year and and 8th to 9th skipped 3 years.

Got to remember Honda does special editions at ends of run and we are getting a limited this year. also the factory is still slated to shut down in July 2021. Thats only 9 and 1/2 months away. Honda has already said before that when they decide on where they are gonna build hatches(have they yet?) They were gonna focus on the regular hatch line as thats the bread and butter. They were specifically asked about the R and they repeated they were focused on the regular line getting it up and running. Plus they dont usually release a halo car at the same time as the new gen release anyway. I will bet we wont see a new type R till late 2023 if at all. And 2021s run will be short most likely more limited then 2017s run was as they are focused on pumping out as many regular hatches as they can to build stock before shut down.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
Probably going to be 2023 before the performance variants (Si, R) land, so ~3 years is a pretty long time to hold off IMO. No point in waiting with resale being as good as it is, in my opinion.

We also have not had 100% confirmation from Honda that North America is even getting the 11th gen R, at least to my knowledge.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Pay to play.
Are you really that worried about a few thousand dollars in depreciation that you'd wait years with no confirmed info that another Civic Type-R will be released in the states?

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
I'm sure someone will jump in here and correct me (hopefully not!) but with the 2022 CTR appearing to have awd and looking more like the Accord, its a no brainer for me to wait. I've always thought the Accord looked better than the CTR, so its a win win for me.

I'm also tired of traction issues with fwd even at 60-70mph. Its awd for my next build!

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'm sure someone will jump in here and correct me (hopefully not!) but with the 2022 CTR appearing to have awd
I would love AWD, but there is nothing solid indicating this will be the case. The AWD rumors are just that, rumors based upon desire and backed by a few unrelated hints here and there (i.e. IndyCar AWD etc).

I think Honda is going that way, but I don't think it will be the 11th Gen.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I wouldn't hold my breath on AWD with the way Honda prides itself on FWD performance and record-setting specifically within the Civic lineup.

chriser0

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Honda has already said before that when they decide on where they are gonna build hatches(have they yet?)
The hatch will go to Honda of Canada. Sedan production will continue at Indiana, Canada and japan as it currently does. Don't believe me, look at the facts, all coupes, and SI variants are made in Canada. All of these variants stop sales with the end of 2020. this gives roughly 10 months to re tool that plant for the hatch/11th gen civic. the other plants should be able to re tool in 3 months as they aren't brining an entire new platform like Canada is.
Totally agree we wont see a type r for 2022 and most likely be the same for the SI

Jessegovols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CRV EXL, 2004 Acura TSX Manual Previous: 92 Mazda MX6 GT, 93 Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4, 99 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I’m holding out for an Si Hatchback which I fully expect to happen since they dropped the coupe. I also think the new Si will be no later than spring 2022.
Sponsored