Anyone here transfer CD's to a flash drive to play in your car? What is the best way to do it?

AUGM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
I've done it before with a Windows 7 PC and it, or actually CDDB would list the artist, album, song title, and sometimes even artwork for the CD.
Now, that old PC will just list everything as unknown, but it will still play.
I have a new PC that has Windows 10, but no CD drive.
So, do I need to add a CD drive to the new PC, update the old PC, or is CDDB outdated?
Oh, I'm no longer a 10th Gen owner, but this site has much better info than the sites for my new car (Mazda CX 5), and the flash drive still works the same.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Transfer songs to your phone and connect it to the car to play songs. Any AA/CarPlay capable car will display the album, artist, and song title, provided it's encoded properly with Windows Media Player or iTunes. Yeah you'll need a CD player and a computer with internet connection to encode the songs (on CDs) with proper ID3 tags.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC and it's a free program) and rip them to mp3 format to a flash drive. or drag and drop to flash drive later.

OP
OP

AUGM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC and it's a free program) and rip them to mp3 format to a flash drive. or drag and drop to flash drive later.
Does this program recognize the content of the CD's and display it on the cars screen?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Windows 10's firewall by default blocks Windows Media Player. You need to unblock it. Check this link and go to the post by Amit Sun on Nov 27, 2018. Restart WMP and you should have all the album arts back.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-working/5ea867ea-545c-464b-b549-21a3c6bc4030

Now even WMP sometimes mess up the MP3 ID3 metadata. In that case, you can use some free software tools to manually repair the MPD ID3 Tags and to insert album arts directly onto the MP3 file. I've used a few of them and if memory serves either MP3Tag or ID3 Tag Editor worked well.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/free-software-downloads/mp3-metadata/

Oh you don't need to buy a CD drive if you don't mind doing round about way. You can create an image of any audio CDs on your Windows 7 computer that has a CD drive and mount the image on your Windows 10 PC and rip the tracks onto MP3s. I think that should work.

Looks like you could actually just share the CD Drive over the network. https://www.howtogeek.com/114254/how-to-share-cd-dvd-drives-over-the-network-on-windows/ Not sure if WMP will see the shared folder as an audio CD or not though.

Last edited:

Wickedsprint

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Country flag
You can also buy an external cd/dvd drive if you still have a need to read cd/dvd but don’t wanna rip apart the new PC. They’re pretty cheap.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited:

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I downloaded this to my Windows 7 PC, and it still shows my CD's as "unknown".
there's a place to select a metadata sever to get track info downloaded, think it's the little CD logo down from the help menu. click that and you should se 3 or 4 different servers.

I'd post a pic but i'm on my phone till tmorrow

edit pic added

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone here transfer CD's to a flash drive to play in your car? What is the best way to do it? DD274000-C776-4281-85A2-1022594369EA

Last edited:

OP
OP

AUGM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
there's a place to select a metadata sever to get track info downloaded, think it's the little CD logo down from the help menu. click that and you should se 3 or 4 different servers.

I'd post a pic but i'm on my phone till tmorrow

edit pic added

DD274000-C776-4281-85A2-1022594369EA.jpeg
I can get this to show up with album cover art and all, but I'm still struggling with it.
I've used the CMP icon on the left, sent it to various places including Windows Media and straight to the flash dive, but it still shows the artist as unknown, no artwork, and puts it in a funky place on the flash drive.
What am I doing wrong???

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can get this to show up with album cover art and all, but I'm still struggling with it.
I've used the CMP icon on the left, sent it to various places including Windows Media and straight to the flash dive, but it still shows the artist as unknown, no artwork, and puts it in a funky place on the flash drive.
What am I doing wrong???
try this guide, i've never installed LAME because I never rip to MP3 always FLAC.. there are many other tutorials and youtube videos demonstrating the software.

https://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/exact_audio_copy_installation_and_configuration.cfm

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
From my experience WAV Lossless setting is very important in settings and is the best way to get premium sound when loading onto the stick. It's much cleaner and more dynamic. It will use more space on the stick but well worth it. Just remember it's only going to sound as good as it's weakest link. If the original sounds bad it can't sound any better than that.

OP
OP

AUGM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI
Country flag
I guess I finally got it to work.
I'm just downloading WMA straight to Windows Media Player.
Death Metal, Black Metal, Grindcore, etc sounds like a train wreck anyways, so I can't really tell much of a quality loss.
Just happy to get some album artwork and song titles displayed on the screen instead of "unknown".

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm just downloading WMA straight to Windows Media Player.
eh? You're using Exact Audio Copy to rip your CDs into WMA and then play them with Windows Media Player?
Sponsored