Anyone here considered a Touring

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I’m the opposite. 31, owned several Si in the past. Didn’t even consider it when I saw the options versus the Touring.

I’m perfectly content with the added features. The Si is probably marginally more fun to drive, but no LED headlights, factory nav or Honda Sensing was a bust for me.

Probs in the minority on that but.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. I saw one on the lot and it was north of 30k with dealer add-ons. Not sure what the sticker was and hadn't looked at the invoice to know where I should gun to get it, but its too much money for too little car, IMO. Losing a manual and LSD and not getting memory or vented seats which are my must have 'luxury" features, and having the less powerful variant of the 1.5t make it a no-sell for me. At that point, I'd be looking at a lightly used CTS. It has RWD and you can get a 2.0t that takes mods well, like the 1.5s, but with the extra displacement. 20-25k for a Civic is in the 'just right' range for me when they're new.

And as to the Caddies, no... I'd never buy one new as GM products depreciate like mad, but it's not uncommon to be able to find low mileage 2-3 year old examples for around 1/2 their MSRP. I'd consider them before I ever looked at a touring. If the deal didn't go through I worked for my 10th, I was going to check them out. Had a Caddie before, though not a CTS, and probably would have liked it fine. This time around, I was intent to stay w/a Civic and just swap out the 9th for the 10th, SI for SI.

I have some of the electronic nannies in the Odyssey, like lane watch and I just turn it off. I use a cell for Nav. My wife all crazy that this car has Apple play something-or-other that I've heard of but don't know anything about. Those kind of techy things have never held appeal to me. Not having to adjust my seat when I get in it (I'm 5'9', the wife 5'), and getting my butt cooled with air? Those are the kind of options I care about if I'm paying 10k+ more than the base model.

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
I've considered a touring and a bunch of other cars (18 accord, 18 tlx a spec, is 350, alfa romeo, CLA, etc), but the Si had everything I wanted at a price that couldn't be beat. I still think about those other cars every now and then, but I'll be patient and pay off my house first before I spend more money on "luxury".

AMGSiR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si Sedan (CBP)
Country flag
G/F drives a 2017 Sport Touring, and it's the reason I ended up with an Si. I drove her car a bunch of times and let her take my Focus ST to work. It's such a nice car! I still swap out and let her take the Si and enjoy her car on my 2-3 hours round trip commute.

kakazsh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe not comparable, but I owned a 2017 Forester XT which has the WRX engine. The CVT really killed the engine.

It never gives me power fast enough, about 1 sec delay after I floor it. I found using the paddle to down shift is faster than the CVT would understand my intention. Granted that 250hp, 250ft.lb is sweet when it comes up. But...

The CVT killed it again. It never holds power output long enough. As long as my pedal relax a bit, it goes back to low RPM very quickly.

Then I drove the WRX, holly molly...

So ye, CVT is like chopping balls off. Let alone, the CVT has a very low torque reserve, you can't mod your power too much before reaching the limit.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Too many other options for "me" at that price point. If I was going to spend 29K I'd have got a well equipped GTI.

HoosierDriver

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima 10, Chrysler Town Country 12
Touring and the Si are really 2 different personalities. The Si is a ton of driving performance for the $$. The Touring, though more $$$, is a solid value for all the higher-market features it offers. Don't see that the two models compete for quite the same buyers.

Last edited:

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
A touring I thought was too much $$$ for a Civic. But after realizing all that it comes with, it's a decent buy.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
In Canada, the SI is actually more expensive than the Toruing.
I learnt here that in US, SI is based on the EX trim while in Canada, it is based on the Touring model. Not sure why Honda makes his distinction.

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
In general almost every Honda model is a bit better in Canada. It's a huge surprise since I'm used to getting the worse version of everything up here. The Hatch Sport is actually an awesome buy up here... good luck finding a 6MT on a dealer lot though. I considered ordering one but without a test drive and Winding Road reporting that he didn't like the gearbox I shelled out the extra for the Si.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
One thing I found strange is US Civics do not come with a spare tire.
When my SI arrived in the dealership, I checked the spare tire. The salesman found that strange that this was the first thing I checked!

HoosierDriver

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima 10, Chrysler Town Country 12
A touring I thought was too much $$$ for a Civic. But after realizing all that it comes with, it's a decent buy.
For those like me who opt for leather seats, its EX-L vs Touring. Both feel MUCH more up-scale than past gen Civics.
Adding either Honda Sense or Nav alone to EX-L is US$1,000.
For the xtra $$, Touring over EX-L adds (US versions):
Honda Sense
Nav
Upgraded Stereo (450W w/sub)
LED headlights
Power front passenger seat
Outside mirror upgrade to lighted turn signals
Larger Ft & Rr stabilizer bars
Chrome door handles
Rain sensing wipers

mis3 has me wondering. Can I buy a Canadian Si & bring it back to the US?

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone here considered a Touring 20171114_194036

This is the only thing my ride needs. So I can finally text and drive... safely. J/k. But it would be nice to have. Oh well.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Did any SI owners here consider a Touring before purchasing a SI?
Not at all. I wasn't necessarily looking for an Si, but I wanted a manual transmission. I considered an EX-T manual or Sport hatchback manual, but neither existed within a reasonable driving distance from me. I also considered a Type R, but that doesn't make a good daily driver and I refuse to pay more than MSRP for any vehicle.

I ended up with an Si and I've been not only pleased, but pleasantly surprised by it and remain so 5-1/2 months and 5,000 miles later. I've been enjoying this Si more than any other of the two dozen vehicles I've owned in the past covering a wide range of brands and prices. It's an absolute jewel for the price in terms of appearance, driving dynamics, and efficiency.
Sponsored