Anyone have experience wrapping their car themselves?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After not only seeing Cameron Hill do it himself I'm starting to see a few other people on IG that I follow start wrapping their car themselves. I'm curious if any of y'all have done it and have any tips. I understand that it's something that takes time and I'll probably have to dedicate most of my free time for a couple weeks to finish it but I'm wondering generally how hard is it for someone that's never done it before?

Will I be able to make a decent amount of mistakes and still have enough left over wrap to finish the car? Do you think someone like me who has never wrapped a car would be able to learn just from a couple youtube videos and do a decent enough job?
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I tried wrapping my front SiR lip on my 6th gen before, it looked amateur-ish but liveable. I ended taking it off a few months after.

I would suggest that you try it out on small parts first.

DRTHVDR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CivicX Hatch
Country flag
I just did my hood with a friend. Get cheap wrap from amazon first and practice. It came out pretty good. Just go slow and use heat carefully.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone have experience wrapping their car themselves? 20200814_113106

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
Check out CKwraps on youtube. He's got a lot of great videos, walking through the process of wrapping cars/individual trim pieces/wheels.

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wrapped the roof, antenna, and spoiler black. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be and am still not satisfied with the outcome. Honestly, I'd watch a ton of YT videos and practice with a small amount of wrap first. Also prepping the car for the wrap makes a huge difference in ease.

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks all just wanted some input, might just wait until next car season and save up for a wrap in the meantime. All those phoenix yellow wraps just got me wanting it too :spaz:

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I've done a couple of my cars and I think it's enjoyable to do, but takes a lot longer to get done than you'd think. Ideally you'd want to have a 2-3 day period where you haven't got anything important to do and just come and go at it.

You should be able to do it faster but just account for times when a panel will go wrong and you'll have to scrap it and start again. Also make sure you have some extra vinyl to cover any mistakes. A decent quality heat gun and plenty of fresh blades. You'll get the hang of it before too long but like all things, the initial learning curve is the steepest.

Jomain

First Name
Jordie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 - Civic TypeR, 1998 - Civic EK Hatch
Country flag
How much material should i purchase?

5' X 40, 50, 60, 75' ?

thanks for your input

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
75' if you've never wrapped before, because you will fuck up. Watch videos on how to do recesses and inlays, because those are the hardest parts.

Jomain

First Name
Jordie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 - Civic TypeR, 1998 - Civic EK Hatch
Country flag
75' if you've never wrapped before, because you will fuck up. Watch videos on how to do recesses and inlays, because those are the hardest parts.
Perfect!

I already have my roof wrapped black, which I am going to leave. 75' will be hard to get right now, but gonna try my best!

J
Sponsored