taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Anyone have a tow rig they use to tow their Type R or Civic to the track with? I Im in the market for a truck and trailer and curious to see whos got what. I currently DD a audi q5 and my "work" car is a jeep liberty KK.. It can tow 5000lbs per the manual, but lets be honest.. its not even towing a jet ski lol.

My first look is for a 5.3 long bed chevy truck- Plentiful, Cheap/reliable and parts are decently priced

Second would be if i could find a 2500HD gas Chevy. Not as common as the ford hd gas, but was scared away by having to remove the cab on and sort of real maintenance.

A diesel would be nice, but i dont need it since it would only be a few times a year and the rest would be run around, home improvement duties.

Trailer is a open 18 ft auto hauler.

Post up what you tow with!
Sponsored

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My codriver towed us to SCCA Nationals last year, he has a 1st Gen Cayenne GTS:

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone have a tow rig? 1604602739042

I am not sure he likes the vehicle that much. It tows well though. Powerful and with air suspension makes hooking up really easy. But the truck is parked like majority of the year and as with all parked German cars it develops problem just sitting there...

One of my other friend started towing the autoX Camaro with the current gen Honda Ridgeline, apparently he likes it a lot.....

OP
OP
turbociv910

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Air ride is going to tow well given the size of the car it's self. I'd be worried about a ridge line, unibody truck.. I'm pretty set on a 1500hd. High gear ratio, tow package. Going to look at it tomorrow

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Air ride is going to tow well given the size of the car it's self. I'd be worried about a ridge line, unibody truck.. I'm pretty set on a 1500hd. High gear ratio, tow package. Going to look at it tomorrow
You end up getting it?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’m biased toward Ford from using them towing trailers at work. Parts are cheap and readily available and everybody knows how to work on them. Really like the 2015+. Interiors are comfortable, everything seems to work well. I really like the 6.7L powerstroke. I rented a 2020 6.7L once and it blew me away. Incredible fuel economy and more torque than i’d ever need.

I think newer GM vehicles have a lot of minor annoyance issues. Electrical problems, crappy infotainment, garbage bass-heavy sound systems, etc. But powertrains seem to be reliable. Newer models have much more low end torque than the early 2010s generation silverado. We have a 2012 2500HD gasser at work and it has no ass. Have to red line it to climb the smallest hills with a trailer on the highway.

I absolutely hate everything about RAMs other than what is under the hood. Hemi is no joke. Cummins is reliable as well. I haven’t been in a new RAM, but they are overly complicated money pits. Parts are overpriced as well.

OP
OP
turbociv910

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You end up getting it?
No, passed it up, too rough. used truck inventory is really low and most all beat up. May buy a newer 1500 instead. Only tow maybe 5-6 times a year but would use the truck for house projects/running around. I daily a jeep liberty now, just cant pull the weight i want.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
No, passed it up, too rough. used truck inventory is really low and most all beat up. May buy a newer 1500 instead. Only tow maybe 5-6 times a year but would use the truck for house projects/running around. I daily a jeep liberty now, just cant pull the weight i want.
What about a Tundra for that Toyota reliability? Doesn’t sound like you need to tow anything that heavy and it probably won’t give you issues after not running for extended periods of time.

OP
OP
turbociv910

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What about a Tundra for that Toyota reliability? Doesn’t sound like you need to tow anything that heavy and it probably won’t give you issues after not running for extended periods of time.
Not against it, I'm just guessing the parts for chevy/ford are cheaper

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
New 2021 ridgelines do look fire but not sure if it could handle towing like that.
Sponsored