Anyone have a problem with ants?

MrsMellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback, 1994 Toyota Camry
Country flag
I've owned a 2018 civic hatchback ex since Jan 2018. Love the car but have always had this massive ant problem. The car is washed, detailed inside and out once a week and without fail 24 hours later its ravaged by ants inside and out. We tried ant baits under the seats and the ants ignore them. We trimmed the bushes and treated the driveway where the car is parked, still have ants.

They're in the trunk, dash, cup holders, seats, the ridges between the door and frame, everywhere.

Besides treating the car with harsh chemicals I'm at a loss. Anyone have some tips or familiar cases?
Sponsored

boinam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
Sounds like a pretty unique situation. Only time I've had an ant problem was with my last vehicle. It flooded pretty bad and a floating ant colony found its way to my car and took root. Put some traps under the carpet and that took care of them, though I had live ants flying out of my vents for a while. Was very surprising when turning on the A/C turned into a painful experience.

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
I've owned a 2018 civic hatchback ex since Jan 2018. Love the car but have always had this massive ant problem. The car is washed, detailed inside and out once a week and without fail 24 hours later its ravaged by ants inside and out. We tried ant baits under the seats and the ants ignore them. We trimmed the bushes and treated the driveway where the car is parked, still have ants.

They're in the trunk, dash, cup holders, seats, the ridges between the door and frame, everywhere.

Besides treating the car with harsh chemicals I'm at a loss. Anyone have some tips or familiar cases?

How did the ants get there to begin with? Probably the location of where your car is parked. Perhaps try to find out where the ants, from outside your car, are coming from and treat it from there. Try getting rid of the ants again and park maybe 2-3 blocks away from your usual spot and see if they come back? And if they still do then at least now you know they have a nest inside your car!

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I have a relative who works in the exterminating business & uses this stuff. It supposed to be very potent. I never used it but thought about spraying around the perimeter of the house just to make sure nothing gets inside.
https://www.domyown.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html

For inside he recommended this. I did use it a few years ago because we had some ants inside the back door. It did work but took a few weeks. Ants eat it & go back to their nest & die. The other ants eat the dead ones & then they die. I'm guessing it takes longer the larger the ant colony. Put some in several locations in the car. You can get it at Home Depot, etc. Get the liquid in a small bottle, it will last a long time. Put a few drops on scrap pieces of cardboard & replace with fresh stuff every day.
http://www.terro.com/terro-liquid-ant-killer

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag

Im sorry for your experience but thats some funny fucking stuff right there.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get some Terro traps. A clear liquid the ants eat and then die.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What size ants? I’ve had really good luck using instant grits in a bottle lid. Has to be instant. They eat it, and die. Worked wonders many times.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I was talking to someone today & they had ants in their car. They mentioned this to another employee who then asked if the car was parked under a certain tree, & it was. Apparently this tree is known to drop ants onto whatever is under it.

Another reason, in addition to sap & bird crap, not to park under a tree.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
What size ants? I’ve had really good luck using instant grits in a bottle lid. Has to be instant. They eat it, and die. Worked wonders many times.
That’s the second time I heard about that dose it work on fire ants

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Check underneath just inboard of the frame rails, on the floor pan there are some (2? 4?) holes there...the dealer is supposed to install body plugs there during PDI. My car did not have these and I noticed ants would somehow immediately find one empty can inside and swarm my otherwise clean car. Lotsa spiders would find their way in as well.

As suggested before, Terro is great for small grease and sugar ants. Sometimes they make a nest inside the door seals, or in the unibody somewhere..

OP
OP

MrsMellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No food, no ants.
Right! We never use this car for food so it's insane it's this much of a problem. I'm thinking there's a nest behind the dash. I let my husband spray around the tires and some of the seal areas as I can't spray anything in the car because I'm pregnant.

They're these little brown ants and just everywhere.
Check underneath just inboard of the frame rails, on the floor pan there are some (2? 4?) holes there...the dealer is supposed to install body plugs there during PDI. My car did not have these and I noticed ants would somehow immediately find one empty can inside and swarm my otherwise clean car. Lotsa spiders would find their way in as well.

As suggested before, Terro is great for small grease and sugar ants. Sometimes they make a nest inside the door seals, or in the unibody somewhere..
Now this I hadn't heard. I'm due for a oil change this week and can take it in to ask.

Definitely want to try that grits thing too but worried about the buggers nest of dead ants in my car.

Had myself a nice hormonal cry as I watched them parade across my dash.

OP
OP

MrsMellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was talking to someone today & they had ants in their car. They mentioned this to another employee who then asked if the car was parked under a certain tree, & it was. Apparently this tree is known to drop ants onto whatever is under it.

Another reason, in addition to sap & bird crap, not to park under a tree.
This could be it too. We dont have a tree over the driveway at home but I parked under the same tree every day at my office.

I've sense moved to a new office (literally just yeterday)so wonder if maybe they'll do an exodus now. It's a parking garage so shouldn't have this problem if it was that stupid tree.

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
This could be it too. We dont have a tree over the driveway at home but I parked under the same tree every day at my office.

I've sense moved to a new office (literally just yeterday)so wonder if maybe they'll do an exodus now. It's a parking garage so shouldn't have this problem if it was that stupid tree.
So anymore ants since u moved? :)
Sponsored