Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
MotorTrend recorded a 0-60 time of 6.8 seconds.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/civic/2019/2019-honda-civic-touring-first-test-review/

I've only done a few runs & have a 0-60 time of 7.4 seconds. This is with the trans in D. While I didn’t detect any wheel spin there could have been some. At the time we had snow & it was mostly melted but perhaps there was still a bit of moisture and/or salt on the road. I'll try again when summer gets here.
Definitely try it in L. Our resident CVT drag race expert (Myx) only uses L for his best times.
Sponsored

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Is there a video of such an acceleration? To me that sounds more like poor measurement method, Ktuner or a downhill road.

Official time is 8.2 seconds, yes it can be a bit faster but I don't believe it's that much.:confused:
The 2.0 liter Civic has a time of about 8.2 and the 1.5T has a time of about 6.8 (The SI is slightly faster than this).

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
It is amazing how quick the regular 1.5T is, for an economy engine it far and above out shines and out performs anything in its class and even punches above its class.

Here are some Motortrend performance numbers for the 2019 model year cars:

2019 Civic Si:
0-60: 6.6 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.9 seconds @ 95.5 MPH

2019 Civic Touring:
0-60: 6.8 seconds
1/4 mile: 15.2 seconds @ 92.2 MPH

2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport Manual (201hp, 195 torque):
0-60: 6.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 15.2 seconds @ 92.1 MPH

As you can see here, even the regular 1.5T can go toe to toe with the Elantra Sport, a car aimed at the Si and in some ways the GTI, and not only hold its own, but outperform it. Quite an amazing little economy engine.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely impressive for such a car with that engine.

@gtman
Never wanted to give you a hard time, I'm always pressing the thanks button after reading your posts.

The 8.2 seconds I mentioned is just the number which is officially advertised by Honda in Germany, that's what I meant:

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone go from a 2.0 to 1.5 engine? IMG_20200222_185027

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone go from a 2.0 to 1.5 engine? IMG_20200223_010402

I wonder if there is any weight difference between the US and european models or from what else that big difference could come from, maybe just the missing L gear, what do you think?

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I see a lot of confusion with these times. You got to remember that there is a big difference between a manual transmission and a cvt. The 1.5t cvt is not gonna hit 60 mph in 6.8 seconds. The manual 1.5t probably could. I have a 1.5t cvt and it is fast but not 6.8 fast. And the 2.0 is only gonna take 8.2 seconds to get to 60 in a cvt. My manual 2.0 gets there in the 7.5 range. But to answer the question OP had, if highway driving is what you want then honestly the 1.5t cvt is just so effortless on long trips. It really shines in that situation. Plus they get a little better mileage. Now if driving around town like a maniac is what you like to do, then the 2.0 6mt is the way to go. Revving out that 2.0 and going through the gears is a great combo for fun.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
It is amazing how quick the regular 1.5T is, for an economy engine it far and above out shines and out performs anything in its class and even punches above its class.

Here are some Motortrend performance numbers for the 2019 model year cars:

2019 Civic Si:
0-60: 6.6 seconds
1/4 mile: 14.9 seconds @ 95.5 MPH

2019 Civic Touring:
0-60: 6.8 seconds
1/4 mile: 15.2 seconds @ 92.2 MPH

2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport Manual (201hp, 195 torque):
0-60: 6.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 15.2 seconds @ 92.1 MPH

As you can see here, even the regular 1.5T can go toe to toe with the Elantra Sport, a car aimed at the Si and in some ways the GTI, and not only hold its own, but outperform it. Quite an amazing little economy engine.
I didn’t feel much more performance with the Elantra GT sport when I test drove it in 2018 over the civic 1.5 turbo ( both cars auto) plus the Elantra I was looking at was 28k I think Hyundai has a weight problem
When I had my 2004 Tiburon GT 2.7 V6 it was slightly over 3,000 lbs. at one point I was up against a 8 th gen civic SI with the Tiburon and the SI pulled away from me

and to add yes this is a amazing little engine 1.5 turbo years ago it took a lot too get the same performance out of V8 powered cars

Last edited:

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Op: the fact you asked says to me, get the 1.5. It seems you want just that little bit extra

My Si is at 6.2 0 to 60, was not able to test the 2.0 0 to 60 when i had one.

Last edited:

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Aren't you the same clown that ran a 17 sec quarter and now you're talkin smack about a car that has more power than yours all through the rev range. I hate to say it but that thing won't even beat a soccer moms minivan from 20 years ago.

And it's not the superior torque that's going to beat you on the highway. It's the superior horsepower.

At least you're getting outstanding mileage. 84mpg.
Well done.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The difference in quarter mile times from the different models are not too far apart, especially when comparing the Si to the Ex with the 1.5t. They are 15.0 and 15.3 respectively. That is not a landslide by no means. And the Ex and Lx(manual) are 15.3 and 15.8 respectively which is also no landslide. And the 1.5T has 16hp and 22lb/ft of torque more than the 2.0NA which is nothing that I would consider a “massive” difference, especially since the LX is lighter. The only real “fast” civic from bone stock has to be the type R which finishes the quarter in about 13 and a half seconds. And I’m not even gonna compare those hp and torque numbers lol. So OP if you want power, mpg, and convenience on the highway, I say it again the 1.5t cvt is great. You have power to pass and don’t have to switch gears. And if you run into traffic it’s a lot more convenient with an auto. I hate to say it because I love my manual, but it’s true.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why I'm wasting my time here but I like facts.

Certain 2.0 manual owners here tend to exaggerate and twist the facts.

Fact: Honda understated the base 1.5T's power output by at least 10%. Many dynos bear this out. In reality, it easily has 25+ more hp and 40+ more tq than the 2.0 N/A. It has a considerably wider torque band than the 2.0 N/A.

Fact: The CVT mates fairly well with the turbo an in L allows consistent 0-60 times below 7 seconds stock. A manual 2.0 N/A 0-60 time tends to vary depending on driver ability but is generally about a second slower to 60. That's considerable in the real world.

To the member who constantly mentions how no 1.5T has ever "beaten" him...

Did you ever consider that they weren't trying to race you?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't know why I'm wasting my time here but I like facts.

Certain 2.0 manual owners here tend to exaggerate and twist the facts.

Fact: Honda understated the base 1.5T's power output by at least 10%. Many dynos bear this out. In reality, it easily has 25+ more hp and 40+ more tq than the 2.0 N/A. It has a considerably wider torque band than the 2.0 N/A.

Fact: The CVT mates fairly well with the turbo an in L allows consistent 0-60 times below 7 seconds stock. A manual 2.0 N/A 0-60 time tends to vary depending on driver ability but is generally about a second slower to 60. That's considerable in the real world.

To the member who constantly mentions how no 1.5T has ever "beaten" him...

Did you ever consider that they weren't trying to race you?
I understand your frustration but it is fact that stock a civic 1.5t (6mt)runs the quarter in 15.3 seconds while a 2.0na (6mt) runs 15.8 . The fact that the 1.5t is so underrated like you say just makes those numbers even more interesting. All that extra power but can only manage to finish the quarter by a car length. Trust me I own both a 1.5t and a 2.0na and they both are powerful but both deliver it in a different way. The 1.5t has great midrange which the 2.0na does not. The 2.0na has great response and top end which the 1.5t does not. The 1.5t seems to deliver all its power at half throttle, meaning you get that rush of power and you give it more peddle to find that that was actually all it had. The 2.0na has to be revved to the limit to see that level of the performance the 1.5t gives at partial throttle. But if you line them both up and max them both out the 1.5t will win, but not by much, trust me I’ve tried.
Sponsored