Anyone get buyers' remorse over their trim choice? (1.5T vs 2.0L)

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I have a 2018 civic sedan lx with a 6 speed manual. From what the dealer told me, these are hard to find. They only had three in the five state area. They had to find one in Louisiana and I’m from Texas. I only wanted this car. I love this car. It is a blast to drive and I average 35-36 mpg. I wasn’t expecting that. I don’t beat the crap out of the car, but also don’t drive slow and still manage to get mileage like that. Highly impressed! That being said, I also bought my girlfriend a 2018 civic hatchback ex with the 1.5t and cvt transmission. Now I drove them both and I gotta say, I still love my car. Her car might beat me in a quarter mile, but she won’t out 60 foot me lol. My car launches really good compared to her turbo lag. But once hers is spooled up it really starts to pull. So I think it comes down to the drivers preference. Do you want the well known vtec sound and performance or the new age turbo non-vtec. Now I guess a good question would be, how hers would’ve felt with a 6 speed manual but either way, both are great cars and handle amazing and get great mileage for the power they put out. Can’t beat them. We both love our new civics
The lag isnt in the turbo but the CVT. CVT's start in 2.64 gear ratio's you start in first at 3.86. Huge difference try starting in second gear and you will see how slow it is just like the cvt

OP
OP
Aurelleah

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
The lag isnt in the turbo but the CVT. CVT's start in 2.64 gear ratio's you start in first at 3.86. Huge difference try starting in second gear and you will see how slow it is just like the cvt
Nah, it's the spooling for sure. CVT gearing lag is way different.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I have the opposite of buyers remorse. I thought I might regret getting the bottom of the line lx mt na 2.0. But I now feel it was the perfect choice. I don't care about the lane sensing and info entertainment system and all that troublesome stuff. And I never liked turbocharged engines. Or CVT. I love this car. And the na 2.0 is an excellent engine. Maybe the best 4 banger on the road. IVTEC and all that. And mt which I love to drive. Best of all, under twenty grand.

OP
OP
Aurelleah

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the opposite of buyers remorse. I thought I might regret getting the bottom of the line lx mt na 2.0. But I now feel it was the perfect choice. I don't care about the lane sensing and info entertainment system and all that troublesome stuff. And I never liked turbocharged engines. Or CVT. I love this car. And the na 2.0 is an excellent engine. Maybe the best 4 banger on the road. IVTEC and all that. And mt which I love to drive. Best of all, under twenty grand.
im liking my EX more and more, myself. I like the predictable throttle input over having to guess how much boost you'll need with the turbo, and as I drive more and more and the feeling of "Wow! New/first car!" wears off, I have no issue with a car being capable of taking me to point A to point B with a little fun and style. It still handles fantastic when I feel like taking turns too quickly, still accellerates decently and vtec sounds great.

I also realized that even if I'm not surprising people with how much takeoff accelleration I have, why am I caring in the first place? How often do I look at another car that speeds up quick and think to myself "Hey that's a fast car!"? Usually I just think "wow showoff" lol -- None of my passengers are ever gonna comment on "well, the car's nice but it'd be nicer if it accellerated crazy fast" either. So the only person who's ever gonna think about my engine or my engine trim, is me.

The desire to drive spiritedly is also starting to wear off on me. It's crazy how much gas flooring it uses, and the speed limits in my city are 50km/h so driving at anything "exciting" is asking for a speeding ticket or worse.

So yeah, in the end I'm actually kinda glad I didn't get the turbo, saved myself some considerable monies lol

tbdrummer2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
Totally. I got the EX-L Hatch, wish I could have gotten the Sport Touring. I just love how the Sport trims look with the exhaust, lip kits and rims. I would also have Sensing.

The reason I went EX-L is because of price. We were shooting for $26k out the door, and I feel like the Sport Touring could have been possible for that price. Maybe not though, idk.

I also wish I had a stick sometimes, and I would have liked a different color (I have white orchid pearl, big fan of the grey and lunar silver. the blue is nice too), although I don’t have a problem with white, really.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
None of what you mentioned is troublesome

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Honestly I would have been satisfied with the basest trim the 1.5L comes in. It's the motor in the car and the mpg that made it worth getting. Touring trim's goodies were nice extras.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You forget about the final drive ratio. It is different between the MT and the CVT, so that the actual ratios between the engine and the wheels are not much different. This is not the cause of the lag.
In contrast, the reverse with the CVT is indeed a relatively high gear (low ratio). So any CVT will beat a CTR to 1/4 mile in reverse.:headbang:

Btw. after 9 months with my hatch ST I wouldn't exchange it for any other civicx trim. What I bought then I would buy again today. A CR-V would come closer as an option than any other trim of the civic.

Last edited:

HondaMoveSi

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Heya, bought the canadian-version 2018 civic EX (includes some EX-T features like heated seats, just missing the turbo mainly). As much as I would love to not have buyers' remorse, there's this part of me in the back of my mind (especially after seeing so many people here with the EX-T and how much people talk about it) that makes me wonder if I made the right choice by going with the non-turbo. Just looking to have a little discussion with some people. My questions for you guys are: Is there really that big a difference between the 2.0L and the 1.5T engines? Are you happy with your choice with YOUR trim, or do you feel maybe another choice would be better?

At the time of buying, the salesperson recommended the non-turbo over the turbo version as it was closer to my budget amongst a bunch of other reasons. I agreed, as the 17" wheels would be more expensive to get winters for/replacements for, and the possible longevity of having the turbo made me feel more comfortable with a non-turbo engine

I also didn't think I'd really want one. I've always been a cautious driver and MPG-conscious and didnt see myself as the "sporty/speedy" type. It's also my first car, got my license a month ago. But ever since getting this car, I've kinda gotten hooked on that fast-feeling you get in the S mode with eco turned off. I wonder if having the turbo would make the ride feel nicer, or would make it THAT much more fun to drive. Dont get me wrong, I love this car; how it looks, how it feels, how it handles. But I do wonder, would I love it more if I'd gotten the EX-T?

I mean, I know there's nothing I can do now as I already bought it, aside from trading it in in a few years for a newer model with a turbo (and subsequently "Wasting" that money I couldve "saved" by getting the turbo in the first place and just paying the loan off straight), I suppose this is mainly a case of "grass is always greener"; it'd be a much cheaper option to fall back in love with the civic I bought instead of sneaking glances at the "other" civics lol

To be fair, I already stretched my budget of what I was looking to pay for a car with going with the civic, as opposed to a cheaper compact sedan or something (especially with the EX trim which, like i said, has everything the EXT has except turbo+17") and the EX-T would cost me around 2k more than that (canadian dollars, tax, winter tires/rims difference, insurance difference)

Anyways, thanks a bunch to anyone who bothers to read this. I definitely hate that buyers' remorse is spoiling an otherwise exciting, satisfying and happy occasion since I only recently got in a financial position where I could even afford to own a vehicle at all, let alone a new one.

EDIT:
So I test-drove a Touring today to settle the issue in my mind once and for all. Yeah, there was definitely a difference. The 1.5T definitely feels more "fun" to drive, but at the same time I'm actually kinda glad I didn't get it, as I'd ABSOLUTELY have a speeding ticket by now if I did. really easy to speed in that thing.

It did feel different, but I dont know if I necessarily would say it feels "better" than a N/A engine with eco turned off. Could be that I'm just not used to it; the turbo lag in the 1.5T was pretty real in D, still present in S. In my N/A engine, the first few seconds I actually accellerate faster in my N/A engine cause of lack of turbo lag. Since the speed limit in my city is 50km/h, the accelleration period of the N/A engine still feels good up to the 10km/h over the limit I normally do. I actually found myself missing my EX during the test drive, the 2.0L has a pretty distinct feel that I've grown fond of: It's predictable, capable, quiet, and less jostling for passengers. Oh, and the 2.0L engine was much, much quieter. I found it harder to get the same type of fuel economy in the turbo as I could with my N/A. also, I LOVE the sound of VTEC when it kicks in on my N/A engine!

The other thing I've learned since the original positng, is that the 2.0L can be tuned for more HP overall, plus up to 22HP peak-to-peak in the power band, with VTEC engagement lowered to mid 5000s RPM's. If I got a tuner, it'd make the hard accelleration feel much better, probably closer to a stock 1.5T from what I understand. I think that's my best route; especially since if I traded it in in a few years, I essentially lose $10-15,000CAD or more I could use towards something else as opposed to what amounts to an incremental upgrade from what I have.'

So in conclusion... Did Imake a bad choice on going EX over EX-T? Nah, I dont think so. I think the 2.0L is still great, feels good and familliar to drive and is probably better-suited to my needs. I mightve been better off with the 1.5T if I was the type of person to wanna impress people, or lived in a city with higher speed limits, or drove the highway a lot, etc. But at long last I can sleep easy knowing I made a good choice and bought a great car!
i bought the 2019 civic si SEDAN because my initial thought on the 2 door was that it would be inconvenient (which granted they can be), and for some reason in my mind i thought “they look the same anyways,” and now every time i see the coupe i want to DIE. the shape of the care and the rear portion and ahhhh everything is so sexy about the coupe i really screwed up :( i try to rationalize and say hey atleast you have the back doors for convenience, but it isn’t working... sad.

OP
OP
Aurelleah

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i bought the 2019 civic si SEDAN because my initial thought on the 2 door was that it would be inconvenient (which granted they can be), and for some reason in my mind i thought “they look the same anyways,” and now every time i see the coupe i want to DIE. the shape of the care and the rear portion and ahhhh everything is so sexy about the coupe i really screwed up :( i try to rationalize and say hey atleast you have the back doors for convenience, but it isn’t working... sad.
As good as the coupe looks, the sedan is still extremely sexy imo. It's been awhile since I authored this post but my endgame is now gonna be a Modern Steel Metallic '19 Si sedan. I've got a guy at work who has a red SI coupe, and while it does look awesome, I STILL find myself gazing back at my sedan after all this time. Might help that my sedan is MSM while his SI is red (not a fan of non-monochrome 10th gens myself)

civilian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
As good as the coupe looks, the sedan is still extremely sexy imo. It's been awhile since I authored this post but my endgame is now gonna be a Modern Steel Metallic '19 Si sedan. I've got a guy at work who has a red SI coupe, and while it does look awesome, I STILL find myself gazing back at my sedan after all this time. Might help that my sedan is MSM while his SI is red (not a fan of non-monochrome 10th gens myself)
The Sedan’s rear end looks significantly better than the Coupe. Shh. Don’t tell anyone.
Sponsored