Anyone get buyers' remorse over their trim choice? (1.5T vs 2.0L)

OP
OP
Aurelleah

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
First off, you should allow others to simply enjoy their reasons for their purchases. What the guy that youre replying to, was doing, was trying to encourage me to be happy with my purchase instead of beating myself up for making the "less popular on the internet" decision. What youre doing is basically trying to add doubt to the minds of who this thread was made for/aimed at. It's also very dickish, Others keep doing it in this thread too to justify their purchase of the 1.5T but it directly affects the OP in that they were trying to be rid of their buyers' remorse for their 2.0L. I know it'd make me feel worse if I hadn't test-drove the 1.5T and realized that I like the 2.0L better. But since I did drive both, I can answer these questions:

some of what you said seems could be misleading or mis information and has been debunked.
"In theory, it should last longer since the power output is less for a bigger engine."
not sure on that, who's theory is that?

"- I believe that the 2.0 is smoother and quieter at highway speeds."
again, not sure if this is true.
I am on the hwy every day. There is no discernable engine noise, it is all road/tire noise and wind noise over takes whatever comes from the engine bay. Under hard accel...it can get loud.
I'll jump in for him and explain the first point: The 2.0L is a larger engine. But it outputs less torque and HP than the 1.5T. In theory, the 1.5T is being pushed closer to its maximum, relative to the 2.0L and ITS maximum. Less power demand of a larger engine=less chances of causing wear when flooring it, or driving it over time for example. It's a really simply logic

The 2nd point I can directly and definitely answer, just having driven both of them today. The 2.0L IS much smoother and quieter than the 1.5T. In both highway driving and city driving. It's like butter that's been coated with oil kinda smooth. I noticed both immediately as I've been driving the 2.0L longer than the 1.5T.

The fuel dilution issue is a known problem for 1.5T owners and a real possibility for all of them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Aurelleah

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No remorse whatsoever. I didn't buy the Civic to make it a race car so no issues there. That being said, the current mods I have on my car are purely just for fun and because cars are my thing and its what I like to do, so it would have been nice if the 2.0 had more support but it is what it is. The engine has more than enough power for everyday driving and i'm pretty confident it will be bulletproof in terms of reliability. Could have gone with the 1.5 because the price difference wasn't that much, but after driving both of them I felt the 2.0 did everything I needed to and I liked the feel of the NA engine over the turbo. Serves me well and its pretty much as good as a compact commuter car gets.
Yeah, just tried the 1.5T today and I know exactly what you mean about the feel of the NA engine over the turbo. Something about it feels so right, and it reminded me of why I bought the 2.0L so quickly after test driving other vehicles

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
First off, you should allow others to simply enjoy their reasons for their purchases. What the guy that youre replying to, was doing, was trying to encourage me to be happy with my purchase instead of beating myself up for making the "less popular on the internet" decision. What youre doing is basically trying to add doubt to the minds of who this thread was made for/aimed at. It's also very dickish, Others keep doing it in this thread too to justify their purchase of the 1.5T but it directly affects the OP in that they were trying to be rid of their buyers' remorse for their 2.0L. I know it'd make me feel worse if I hadn't test-drove the 1.5T and realized that I like the 2.0L better. But since I did drive both, I can answer these questions:
What you are saying is nonsense.
YOU are the OP and your topic line is:
Anyone get buyers' remorse over their trim choice?
If you are just here looking for encouragement and soothing words, there is plenty here on this forum. You are in the Feel-good department. The best form is self-soothing telling your self that your choice was the best and your car is quieter, oily smooth, less stressed and so on. I can't argue with how you feel about things. You drove both and you liked the 2.0 better. Great.
However, when I see miss information I think it is ok to chime in. Example: the CVT will wear out faster in the 1.5T because it has more power, yes, but it also has a different CVT.
The rest of the things are mostly assumptions.. like this: "The 2.0L is a larger engine. But it outputs less torque and HP than the 1.5T. In theory, the 1.5T is being pushed closer to its maximum, relative to the 2.0L."

My remorse, I should have gotten the 2.0T.
I digress...and let it be.

OP
OP
Aurelleah

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What you are saying is nonsense.
YOU are the OP and your topic line is:
Anyone get buyers' remorse over their trim choice?
If you are just here looking for encouragement and soothing words, there is plenty here on this forum. You are in the Feel-good department. The best form is self-soothing telling your self that your choice was the best and your car is quieter, oily smooth, less stressed and so on. I can't argue with how you feel about things. You drove both and you liked the 2.0 better. Great.
However, when I see miss information I think it is ok to chime in. Example: the CVT will wear out faster in the 1.5T because it has more power, yes, but it also has a different CVT.
The rest of the things are mostly assumptions.. like this: "The 2.0L is a larger engine. But it outputs less torque and HP than the 1.5T. In theory, the 1.5T is being pushed closer to its maximum, relative to the 2.0L."

I digress...and let it be.
Did you even read the OP? If you read past the title maybe you'd understand a bit better the purpose of the post, which again was aimed at people who also were having second thoughts on their choice.

Fortunately I got the chance to experience the 1.5T myself so the OP is actually not useful/relevant to me anymore, but I'm simply informing you that you're being rather dickish in all respects. Especially this patronizing, condescending post right here. Honestly man, go to another thread with that crap. I have several options that'd allow me to go with the turbo verson, including changing the financing to a lease. But I'm not going to do that, as I genuinely like the 2.0L better, and I know that now that I've had the chance to try it myself. I'm not even calling you out as if it affected how I perceive my purchase, as the test-drive did the perception-changing for me.

My point in calling you out was that you went out of your way to try to invalidate points that aren't invalid, on a post meant to provide positive counterpoint for a potentially exciting-time-ruining-feeling, for no other apparent reason aside from making youself feel better about yourself I guess? It's a "principle" thing. If "The rest of the things are mostly assumptions", why the heck do you even care? You aren't required to chime in and correct everything. And usually as people mature, they realize that.

OP
OP
Aurelleah

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nah I totally know it, I'm not irrational :p I WISH I knew how to drive a manual/had friends willing to teach me; I've never been a fan of CVT's overall as a concept. I do industrial maintenance and always prefer gearboxes over belt drives.

Eventually, depending on what honda does with 11th gen and how it looks/feels/etc, I might try finding someone w/a manual that CAN teach me, and then get an SI. Though I'd be happy if they introduced a 6/10 speed automatic into the civics and did away with the CVT, too; that'd be nice too lol

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
100% agree, I drove an LX Manual when I was test driving cars before I bought my EX, and it really wakes up the engine even more, and it is actually fun to drive. These days I find myself wishing my Civic was a manual so much that I sometimes unconsciously find my hand resting on the shifter as if i'm gonna put it into gear. I traded in my '08 TL Type S manual (which I sometimes regret) on the Civic because I didn't need another midsize sedan and I wanted something that was compact, new, and got great fuel economy. If believe the 2019 Civic Sport is coming in manual with the 2.0L and the EX features so I might trade up to that, or I might just even get an Si if I can get a good deal on it. Bottom line is I want a manual car back in my life.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I have a 2018 civic sedan lx with a 6 speed manual. From what the dealer told me, these are hard to find. They only had three in the five state area. They had to find one in Louisiana and I’m from Texas. I only wanted this car. I love this car. It is a blast to drive and I average 35-36 mpg. I wasn’t expecting that. I don’t beat the crap out of the car, but also don’t drive slow and still manage to get mileage like that. Highly impressed! That being said, I also bought my girlfriend a 2018 civic hatchback ex with the 1.5t and cvt transmission. Now I drove them both and I gotta say, I still love my car. Her car might beat me in a quarter mile, but she won’t out 60 foot me lol. My car launches really good compared to her turbo lag. But once hers is spooled up it really starts to pull. So I think it comes down to the drivers preference. Do you want the well known vtec sound and performance or the new age turbo non-vtec. Now I guess a good question would be, how hers would’ve felt with a 6 speed manual but either way, both are great cars and handle amazing and get great mileage for the power they put out. Can’t beat them. We both love our new civics

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
My biggest regret about choosing the touring is all the chrome trim and lack of aero (sport hatch backs for instance and sport touring include aero and black trim). Other than that I am very happy with my purchase.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
I've driven the 2.0 L Civic LX on the street and the 1.5 L turbo Civic Si on the track, and I liked the K20C2 in the Civic LX more than the L15B7 in the Civic Si. I suppose that I can be accused of being biased, because I've owned and enjoyed immensely several K-series powered Civics and Accords so far, but the OP has a point that the 2.0 L is smoother to drive. As a K-series engine car, I'm more confident in its long-term reliability than the 1.5 L turbo. Also, I just couldn't get over how lackluster the 1.5 L turbo's engine note was.

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
With a few bolt ons and a tune the 1.5L in the Si is no slouch. With the right exhaust the note is not terrible and somewhat enjoyable. The amount of work that it takes for the K20 to catch up to bolt ons and a tune on the si plus the LSD and sport mode on the si make the difference in price a no brainer as to why the si is a better value. The lower trim cars are awesome in their own right since they leave tons of room for improvements if you are a DIY.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I regret getting the Touring because of the crappy head unit. Unresponsive, poorly integrated with the rest of the car, and clumsy.
Sponsored