Anyone experience dealer service poor quality workmanship?

BobLazar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Pilot/2016 civic
Country flag
I don't really post much but I gotta write this to see if anyone else has experienced this kinda ****..

I have a '16 pilot exl with Honda black 20" wheels and a '16 civic coupe touring for my wife. I bought the civic outright and own it. If it was a lease I would have definitely got rid of it by now. I'm a huge Honda fan. I've bought several new hondas over the years even when I couldn't really afford it, had 2 accord sport on tein suspension, Crz manual, 07 si sedan, crv, and a few regular civics. Plus an old '87 accord.

I've been mostly going to Mel Rapton in Sacramento, and sometimes Autonation in Roseville which is much closer to where I live.

Pilot: I had to go a total of 6 times for a continuous "emission systems problem" alert, it would come on and then go off randomly. I went to Autonation once, they say they can't find anything wrong. I go to Mel Rapton 4 more times and they say they don't know what's wrong. Then on one visit they damage the inside of the black wheel while balancing tires and they pay for a new wheel. Then I had to go back again for the alert, and I complained to Honda corporate customer service, and they finally do a valve adjustment. Pilot has been ok since. I go back to Autonation today for a B 1 2 service (oil change, brake inspection, differential fluid change, stuff like that) and I pay $300. I get my car back and about 30 mins later hear metal grinding from the brakes and clunking noises as if it was not reinstalled correctly by the tech. They send someone to my house and pick up the car then he brought it back a few hours later.

Civic: not long after buying it, the rubberized cover for the third brake light fell off. Then I received a TSB in the mail for the same thing. Took it to Autonation, they replace it crooked and with adhesive glue smeared underneath that was very noticible. Then took it to Mel Rapton 4 more times for replacement, it kept falling off. Called Honda corporate again, took it back to Mel Rapton again and it's secured to the window now but still with new fresh adhesive smeared underneath. I kinda gave up dealing with the civic for the last few weeks because I'm just too mad about it. A simple problem that seems like a simple fix.

My dealer experiences have been absolutely horrible, no attention to any workmanship at all. And it's the same thing at two separate dealerships.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone experience dealer service poor quality workmanship? IMG_0203.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone experience dealer service poor quality workmanship? IMG_2164.JPG

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
That was when the restrusturing took place et al. Civic was still a caterpillar and now it has blossomed into a butterfly.

PolishedLX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To answer your question, dealer service remains shoddy and poor. I bought and take m car an hour away just for safety reason alone in terms of service, weather it is simply better "customer service" or actual work as in workmanship. Trust me, right now, I am wondering just how many bullets I saved but it has already paid dividends in terms of first oil change and NOTHING else. AVOIDANCE is now the key if you do not wish to go through this much tribulations just to get simple job done, IMHO. and remember I am saying IMHO so a grain of salt must follow..

Edit: so my point is if you need actual techie work done, there is no infallable and unsufferable place to ensure or should I even say guarantee, as if assurance wasn't enough. For example, I think the oil my dealer had was flooded out like a ton of their cars they are trying to refurb and possible resell. If i didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it myself.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
To answer your question, dealer service remains shoddy and poor. I bought and take m car an hour away just for safety reason alone in terms of service, weather it is simply better "customer service" or actual work as in workmanship. Trust me, right now, I am wondering just how many bullets I saved but it has already paid dividends in terms of first oil change and NOTHING else. AVOIDANCE is now the key if you do not wish to go through this much tribulations just to get simple job done, IMHO. and remember I am saying IMHO so a grain of salt must follow..

Edit: so my point is if you need actual techie work done, there is no infallable and unsufferable place to ensure or should I even say guarantee, as if assurance wasn't enough. For example, I think the oil my dealer had was flooded out like a ton of their cars they are trying to refurb and possible resell. If i didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it myself.
I bring my cars to my local guy for the every day stuff like oil changes, tire rotations, brakes, etc. I would only go back to the dealer if it was some catastrophic thing that the local guys aren't equipped to handle (like my last car which had a water pump failure at 72,000 miles). Dealers over charge and I am one of those people who is paranoid that they are purposely tinkering with stuff so that it will break faster and make you come back for more work.

PolishedLX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bring my cars to my local guy for the every day stuff like oil changes, tire rotations, brakes, etc. I would only go back to the dealer if it was some catastrophic thing that the local guys aren't equipped to handle (like my last car which had a water pump failure at 72,000 miles). Dealers over charge and I am one of those people who is paranoid that they are purposely tinkering with stuff so that it will break faster and make you come back for more work.
city everything is corrupted hence why I drove nearly an hour away to purchase and hope the service is equal and "on par"..I am praying the oil they used isn't water logged like all the cars after the flood. I'm experience some heat soak but I had to use my paid oil changes and wanted to extend the break-in with same amount of moly as FF minus the assembly lube and fuel diluted oil ofcourse. maybe the perceived heat soak is really more protection due to oil change and replenished oil viscosity minus the fuel dilution? anyone?

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
I have two examples.

I had my 2016 Civic fixed at the dealership because someone ran into it. I noticed that the hood that they painted and put on the car (front end collision) had some of the paint peeling off. After convincing them that it wasn't all damage from stones flying up and hitting the car after I drove it for two days after they fixed it, they came out with some touch up paint and dabbed it on the peeling spots. They handed me the unused jar.

When I had my 2006 inspected at the dealership (I traded it in when I bought the new Civic), the dealer told me that I needed an inner tie rod replaced. I said I'd do it myself and took it home and put it on a lift. I shook the suspension part - even unhooked the suspension so it was disassembled - and gave everything a shake. It was all tight. I took it to another dealership and asked them to look particularly at the inner tie rod. They said they always pull on the suspension to make sure it's ok. The car passed inspection. The second dealer said that there was nothing wrong with the inner tie rod.

The second dealership did warn that the sway bar links would need to be replaced soon. In fact, I had replaced all of those about 6 months before with Honda OEM parts; so they must have assumed that they were original to the car and would have to be replaced soon. They certainly never looked closely at them before telling me that they would need to be replaced soon.
Sponsored