Anyone experience back and neck pain in their 2017 Civic?

vvrk33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring, 2003 Toyota Camry LE
I recently bought a new 2017 Civic Touring about three weeks back. I love the car. But I am experiencing unusual neck pain and back pain. I seem to be fine in my old Camry but the pain aggravates in my Civic. I have tried neck support pillows and lumbar and seat cushions but they only help a little. Though I love the car, I am considering trading it in just so I don't have to deal with the pain. But it kind of sucks to trade in a car with less than 1000 miles.

Did anyone else experience neck or back pain. If so what did you do to relieve the pain. Any products that you tried that helped relieve the pain.
Sponsored

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
The seats in the SI where way too tight for me and hurt my sides after a hour commute. This didn't reveal itself on the shorter test drive. I also was about to get rid of the car with less than 1000 miles due to uncomfortable seats but lucky for me the seats where easily fixed. I unzipped the seat cover and folded three bath towels per seat and stuffed them between the seat frame and seat foam which filled in the deep hole you sunk in and more importantly, angled the overly aggressive and tight side bolstering more on a 45 degree angle rather than the straight forward that they pointed. The seats are so much more comfortable with this easy mod. Feels like I have lumbar and upper back support and those side bolsters aren't causing me pain in my sides anymore. Total night and day difference.

What sucks with Honda is that you can't just buy the seats complete from another model in the lineup. You have to buy them piece by piece which would cost like $1300....YIKES! Thank god six bath towels and a few minutes (don't even have to remove the seats from the car) fixed mine to perfection. I can drive for hours in these seats now but stock they really hurt my sides (I'm not overweight or fat either - I'm Motocross fit)

OP
OP

vvrk33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring, 2003 Toyota Camry LE
The seats in the SI where way too tight for me and hurt my sides after a hour commute. This didn't reveal itself on the shorter test drive. I also was about to get rid of the car with less than 1000 miles due to uncomfortable seats but lucky for me the seats where easily fixed. I unzipped the seat cover and folded three bath towels per seat and stuffed them between the seat frame and seat foam which filled in the deep hole you sunk in and more importantly, angled the overly aggressive and tight side bolstering more on a 45 degree angle rather than the straight forward that they pointed. The seats are so much more comfortable with this easy mod. Feels like I have lumbar and upper back support and those side bolsters aren't causing me pain in my sides anymore. Total night and day difference.

What sucks with Honda is that you can't just buy the seats complete from another model in the lineup. You have to buy them piece by piece which would cost like $1300....YIKES! Thank god six bath towels and a few minutes (don't even have to remove the seats from the car) fixed mine to perfection. I can drive for hours in these seats now but stock they really hurt my sides (I'm not overweight or fat either - I'm Motocross fit)
Thank you! I will try to use bath towels.

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
Thank you! I will try to use bath towels.
The SI had two traditional zippers on each side of the back and a solid plastic zipper on the bottom similar some soft tonneau covers on pickups. Real easy to open up the seats on the SI without taking them out, not sure about the touring. Good luck though, I know how bad it is to be stuck with uncomfortable seats and have it bad enough to want to trade the car early.

relentlessX

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Yes. I noticed this during my first week of ownership during my hour long commute. The lack of lumbar support was the issue and was easily remedied by purchasing one of those lumbar cushion supports from amazon. Hope you're able to figure something out like I did.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use a lumbar support for my office chair at work as well, but nothing so far on my car. I really haven't had issues. I feel it is a lot more comfortable than my 2007 Civic but I haven't driven in my car for longer than an hour yet lol.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Lumbar support is something far too many people ignore - people hype up bolster support way too much in the industry. "oooh look at these bolsters that hold me in place! what an amazing seat!"

strangely, I just drove with my parents' '16 Accord and even that had adjustable lumbar in their EX trim. Pretty jealous. Honda acknowledges it was nice to have, but didn't put them in on the Civic. :confused:

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda can't put everything on the Civic, otherwise who is going to buy their more expensive models?
Seriously speaking, sometimes adjusting the seat position can improve the comfort a lot, I had to completely change my settings to find the right spot on this car.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the seat far more than the one on my 2010 Si. I drove to and from Cali on a 6-7 hour drive each way and didn't really have any issues other than needing to stop to walk around or use the bathroom after a few hours. You can only sit in a car for so long.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 2012 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
yup noticed that right away after a couple of days of taking it home from dealer. idk what the design is but these "bucket" seats does give me aches in the back too. the side of the seats hug the waist tightly and gives me bad posture.

i'm a short guy too so i dont really understand the ergonomics behind the seat design.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I haven't had a lot of long drives yet but a couple over 1 hour - I need a break after about 50 minutes. Partially because I'm 100% on edge trying to avoid crashes, road rash, etc, and partially because I'm driving fast if there is nobody around on the interstate ahead of me.
I'll have another 80min one-way drive in about 12 days so we'll see. Not going to do anything about it.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, I have a spinal fusion at l4-l5 and three herniated discs in my neck that were never fixed and I have no problems . My seat back feels very supportive. Also, the heated seat helps my back feel better ,especially if its damp out side. One of the bolsters did push in around my lat area,but I'm a big guy and that went away after a little while.

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
Lol. Not at all, I used to get backpain like that in my S2000. Ugh hated that thing!
Sponsored