Anyone ever get the feeling that Honda pulled a fast one on us with the CTR?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Depends on the market. I know the US does not have a side camera. I believe Canada and Asia (which includes Australia) do, but not sure about Europe.
Europe gets BSM integrated into the side mirrors.
Sponsored

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
TBH, the fit and finish on my 2016 Golf R was exponentially better than my 2019 CTR, but in all my years of driving this has been my favorite car. A moonroof and heated seats would be nice, but overall it's the most ridiculous looking / fun vehicle I've driven... The fact that a year and a half after buying it, it is still worth more than I paid for it is even better. That may not last once the next gen CTR's come out, but in my experience Japanese vehicles maintain their value nearly as well as my pickup trucks.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
These cars have to be in the running for worst built Honda cars ever. Swindon definitely played a role in that and we will have to wait and see with Greensburg Type R's just how much of that was due to the facility.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
These cars have to be in the running for worst built Honda cars ever. Swindon definitely played a role in that and we will have to wait and see with Greensburg Type R's just how much of that was due to the facility.
The 10th gen sedans weren't any better and had many of the same issues as our hatches. The plant isn't going to make that big of a difference.

Satta

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK8 TypeR. Civic 9th Gen 1.6 Diesel( euro).
Country flag
They are not a Porsche or Mercedes. That is the whole point of a 'hot hatch'

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I swear Hondas were built better back in the day maybe it was just me

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
TBH, the fit and finish on my 2016 Golf R was exponentially better than my 2019 CTR
Heh, I had a 2016 Golf R too, and yeah, it was built like a bank vault and finished like a Faberge egg. Nice as could be. Sadly, I found it far less exciting than the MK VI GTI I traded for it, and nowhere near as fun as the CTR. Part of that was weight, but part was also the very Teutonic ultra-competence the damn thing displayed on the road. Sure, you were not going to lose it on a turn or get sideways on an entrance ramp, but you also were rarely going to feel you were calling the shots. The way the car put down power and grip was amazing, but also sort of insulated and soulless.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
Heh, I had a 2016 Golf R too, and yeah, it was built like a bank vault and finished like a Faberge egg. Nice as could be. Sadly, I found it far less exciting than the MK VI GTI I traded for it, and nowhere near as fun as the CTR. Part of that was weight, but part was also the very Teutonic ultra-competence the damn thing displayed on the road. Sure, you were not going to lose it on a turn or get sideways on an entrance ramp, but you also were rarely going to feel you were calling the shots. The way the car put down power and grip was amazing, but also sort of insulated and soulless.
Honestly I loved everything about that car except for the 6 speed manual, the gating was crap... Only car in 25 years of driving manual that I've actually missed a shift in. My first Honda was a 2018 Civic Si couple which truly reminded me of my old MK5 GTI, then I sat in my CTR at the dealership and the rest was history... :)

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
At the entry price that this vehicle costs we lack a lot of features/Quality.
The Paint on the car is not $40K worthy
The Body and material of the car compared to other cars in it's price range doesn't feel $40K worthy.

As a guy who has driven and seen many different cars in my life. The CTR while an amazing performance machine lacks in other areas.. While I love the Type R I feel like I drive an overpriced econobox. Maybe i am alone in this thought.

Maybe you pay to drive a race ready engine that's street legal?
It is an overpriced econobox. Not that there anything wrong with that.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honestly I loved everything about that car except for the 6 speed manual, the gating was crap... Only car in 25 years of driving manual that I've actually missed a shift in. My first Honda was a 2018 Civic Si couple which truly reminded me of my old MK5 GTI, then I sat in my CTR at the dealership and the rest was history..
Oh, the shifter was shite. I replaced the stock set up with a Dieselgeek setup and a heavier knob, and the process was much smoother. But still, it is clear VW cares not one whit about manuals any more.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is an overpriced econobox. Not that there anything wrong with that.
I really can't say it's overpriced. It's not cheap, no, but to me you get a lot more of what I want for my money here than from many cars. It's not the absolute price that's important, it's value. A $200 meal can be well worth it, and a $5 burger a total waste of money--and vice versa.

blackdiamond

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatchie
Country flag
As far as paint.... 2 years in a black car and no chips... I guess I drive different then most
CTR needs comfier seats and have the option for more sidewall (wouldn't buy a vehicle where I would immediatey have to buy a different set of wheels first thing)... I live where potholes could be considered lakes

LSUFANDAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Civic Type R
Country flag
So far so good with my 2019. This car is so good I haven't felt the need to mess with it. Just drive and enjoy the Type R the way it was designed. I did get PPF protection on the front half for the paint right after I bought it. Im coming from a 2014 Chevy Silverado Z71 and can tell you this car seems like a luxury vehicle compared to that piece of crap lol.
Sponsored