Anyone else notice a difference with Costco gas?

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I used to run 93 from sams club and then I started using shell. I actually think the car runs better on shell.

There definitely is a difference in good gas and normal gas
Sponsored

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I used to run 93 from sams club and then I started using shell. I actually think the car runs better on shell.

There definitely is a difference in good gas and normal gas
Ran a bit of an experiment and added a couple gallons of 100 octane to 10 gallons of 93 to bring the overall octane a bit above 93 to check knock control levels. I usually always use Citgo gas, but had to use Sunoco to get the 100 octane and used the 93 Sunoco to fill the of the rest of the tank. Even the wife noticed the car seemed a bit sluggish. Killed the tank as quickly as possible, filled back up with Citgo, and it was smooth sailing once again.

I'd be curious to know what the difference was in detergents / filtering between the two brands...it's obviously subjective, but there was a noticeable, negative impact from the Sunoco gas.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Here in CA, Shell 91 has been known to generate higher KR readings than comparable brands. At least when it comes to tuned platforms. Costco seems to be somewhere in between (good, not great).

I agree that unless your running real time logging, it's probably going to be tough to tell the difference. Though I will say Costco seems to have a small advantage due to sheer volume and how they mix their detergents. They reportedly grab their fuel untreated, same day, or multiple times each day, and mix detergent onsite & underground at each station. Not all retailers gave the resources or volume to do all that locally.

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
I run Shell 93 and Quik Trip 93 both Top Tier and don't feel any difference or MPG difference. QT 93 is 45-50 cents cheaper.

deathjam4

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just think of it this way. not every owner is going to be the same just like not every busniess is going to get the same stuff. I used to work at a gas station before so i often knew where it came from. I live in canada tho and where i live i just happen to know costco up here buys the scumiest gas they can to make some money off it lol. it is not any particular brand its like a no name brand of gas. shell has thier additives esso has thier own stuff as petro has what ever they add in to make it cleaner excetra. cocstco gets straight up gas which alot of newer cars go WTF wheres my good stuff ?? and mucks um up. I have encountered petros that don't use petro gas before as the same goes with esso's and shells it just really depends where you are at and where the gas came from. In toronto they have a huge storage facility for fuel which has all the different types in it so 99% of gas company's in toronto have the gas they are supposed to have. but if you drive out 4 hrs north thats not a guarnatee cause the gas has to travel many miles to get there.

There is also the fact that if many users use the station as much as costco buyers you end up with empty tanks or nearing empty tanks consistently which means your getting what ever is in the bottom of their tanks some times and cars simply don't like the sediment at the bottom of the tank. so alot of the time it makes it a win lose situation unless you know they filled the tanks before hand.

So all said and done you likely get decent gas at your costco but you likely got thier when they were scraping the bottom of the barrel which pumped a bunch of tank sediment and particles into your tank. it happens some times sucks when it does. thats why I run the highest octane at shell every once and a while to clean out my cars system. :p

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Though I will say Costco seems to have a small advantage due to sheer volume and how they mix their detergents. They reportedly grab their fuel untreated, same day, or multiple times each day, and mix detergent onsite & underground at each station.
Interesting. We have a Costco w / gas not too far from us...maybe I'll give that a try next. Definitely didn't know about the immediate detergent mixing.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
There is also the fact that if many users use the station as much as costco buyers you end up with empty tanks or nearing empty tanks consistently which means your getting what ever is in the bottom of their tanks some times and cars simply don't like the sediment at the bottom of the tank. so alot of the time it makes it a win lose situation unless you know they filled the tanks before hand.

So all said and done you likely get decent gas at your costco but you likely got thier when they were scraping the bottom of the barrel which pumped a bunch of tank sediment and particles into your tank. it happens some times sucks when it does. thats why I run the highest octane at shell every once and a while to clean out my cars system. :p
Hmm. ... :hmm: So Costco tanks are often empty because so many people go there? And rarely full? :hmm: I can't wrap my mind around it....

They say Costco gas stations are so crowded that nobody goes there any more....:yes:

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Interesting. We have a Costco w / gas not too far from us...maybe I'll give that a try next. Definitely didn't know about the immediate detergent mixing.
It really has more to do with consistency across Costco's fuel stations, more than anything else. Depending on your experience, good or bad, it will probably be very similar to other Costco's in your region.

I don't know how their additive pack compares to others. But here in CA, Chevron seems to be the preferred brand among the tuning community.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Also, a quick note on bottom of the barrel comments. Costco services their tanks, filters, sensors and reserves approximately triple the frequency as required by law.

Regardless of when you fill up, chances are your Costco facility will be in better working order than many small business/franchise chains - including those offering name-brand fuels.

deathjam4

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm. ... :hmm: So Costco tanks are often empty because so many people go there? And rarely full? :hmm: I can't wrap my mind around it....

They say Costco gas stations are so crowded that nobody goes there any more....:yes:
Lol yea sorry may not be the case every where but where i live the costco gas station is often backed up down the street with people waiting to fuel thier cars so they are always going threw it faster then it comes in :p

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Just think of it this way. not every owner is going to be the same just like not every busniess is going to get the same stuff. I used to work at a gas station before so i often knew where it came from. I live in canada tho and where i live i just happen to know costco up here buys the scumiest gas they can to make some money off it lol. it is not any particular brand its like a no name brand of gas. shell has thier additives esso has thier own stuff as petro has what ever they add in to make it cleaner excetra. cocstco gets straight up gas which alot of newer cars go WTF wheres my good stuff ?? and mucks um up. I have encountered petros that don't use petro gas before as the same goes with esso's and shells it just really depends where you are at and where the gas came from. In toronto they have a huge storage facility for fuel which has all the different types in it so 99% of gas company's in toronto have the gas they are supposed to have. but if you drive out 4 hrs north thats not a guarnatee cause the gas has to travel many miles to get there.

Octane has no determination on the cleanliness of gas. Octane determines how easy the fuel is to ignite. Lower Octane is easier to ignite.

_HawK_

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
There is also the fact that if many users use the station as much as costco buyers you end up with empty tanks or nearing empty tanks consistently which means your getting what ever is in the bottom of their tanks some times and cars simply don't like the sediment at the bottom of the tank
In fuel tanks that store and dispense fuel, there is a feed tube that is elevated off the bottom of the tank. Probably a minimum of 12 inches. So, you are never actually getting fuel off the bottom of the tank.

TX997GTS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport, 2011 911 GTS, 2013 G37x coupe
Country flag
This question is funny because I started getting gas at a new Costco that opened and I swear I get better gas mileage with this location so I get a tankful there when I can. Seems like I get better gas mileage than I do when I fill up at Sams.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
I’ve started asking the Costco station attendants where the gas is from...
On my last Costco fill up the fuel was from Shell which has a nearby refinery.
The additives are mixed in before the drop at the station and at this station 4-tankers of regular are delivered daily and 1-tanker of premium weekly.
Sponsored