Anyone else need new tires so soon?

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I know this is a performance car, but at 22k miles I already need new tires. I never tracked the car and most of my driving is highway. I slam on it sometimes, but they ALL are extremely low.

Honda is quoting around $1700 for four new tires and an alignment. Should I get them somewhere else? Anyone have theirs replaced yet?
Sponsored

Deleted member 31314

I haven't changed mine (mainly because I wasn't daily driving it and now its on 18's for the winter) but I have read this in other posts that these tires wear pretty quickly in comparison to some other brands. You can probably find a few mentions with a quick search.

OP are you dead set on keeping the 20's, If you can afford it I would down size to 18's or 19's, initially be bit more but in the long run will be cheaper, especially depending on what you plan to do with your car. ie. tracking, dd, etc....

san44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, you should get them elsewhere. 1700 is way too much for what I’m assuming are the same tires as stock. Aligning 4 tires isn’t expensive either. Discount tire or Tire Rack are good places to start. Got my 18” Falkens during Black Friday.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I know this is a performance car, but at 22k miles I already need new tires. I never tracked the car and most of my driving is highway. I slam on it sometimes, but they ALL are extremely low.

Honda is quoting around $1700 for four new tires and an alignment. Should I get them somewhere else? Anyone have theirs replaced yet?
That's actually outstanding for a set of high performance summer tires. GJ keeping them so long lol. Gotta pay for that grip bud, if you get a lesser tire you won't be driving the same car you're used to.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Sounds about right mileage wise. The manual estimates it can be as low as 10k miles or something. I changed mine out recently at around 23k too. Also, you dont need an alignment unless you have uneven tire wear issues.

Shop around if you want to get OEM tires which are pricey. My go to shop has them for $295 a piece installed.

There are other, cheaper alternatives too in our OEM size, like Falken FK510s, V12 Evos, etc.

You can also check out other tires in 35 profile or 255/35 profile for greater selection at the cost of speedo accuracy and some driving dynamic changes.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I picked out and got some ps4s tires for the oem wheels for $950 shipped.

OP
OP

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for responses...Guess the 22k point is normal..Going to shop around man dealers always tryna get you on the price!!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only got about 25k on the stocks on my Sport and they were almost bald. Get a better brand that still gives you the grip you are looking for if you want longer life.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I doubt you can get some ps4s tires for the $950 I got mine at but you should still be able to get a set several hundred dollars cheaper that what Honda's quote was. Most folks are only getting 10-12k miles out of theirs. The ps4s tires are supposed to get you around 30k miles and are excellent street performance tires.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Sounds about right mileage wise. The manual estimates it can be as low as 10k miles or something. I changed mine out recently at around 23k too. Also, you dont need an alignment unless you have uneven tire wear issues.
I agree. If the tires aren’t wearing unevenly I would keep driving. You can always have them “check” the alignment but most of the time since they have the car on the rack they might try to sell you an alignment but if you can get a print out of the “before” and it’s in spec then you’re good to go. I’m paranoid as I’ve seen some bad alignments where the car is worse after or the steering wheel is off center.

Glad you made this thread. I was hoping to get like 8,000 miles from my tires. I’m using snows now so maybe summer tires plus snows will get me to 30,000 hopefully before needing a change. Sticker says may not last more than 10,000 miles so 23,000 is cool.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
22k is really high actually - I think I drive conservatively and I swap to all-seasons for winter. I have about 10k on my stock tires and I am already thinking about just replacing them with Michelin summer tires.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag

I'm getting all four swapped for $640 with 255/35R20 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s.

https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/brands/firestone/firehawkindy500/12938

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
Keep an eye on the classifieds section. If you can't get a very low mile set of factory tires AND wheels shipped to you for well under $1,700 you are doing something wrong.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Make sure the shop you have new tires mounted has the proper equipment and knowledge. A bunch of us have had wheels damaged by shops that aren't prepared to swap tires for our car.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
You can also check out other tires in 35 profile or 255/35 profile for greater selection at the cost of speedo accuracy and some driving dynamic changes.
I went with 35 profile all seasons on OEM wheels. Calmed the ride and I don't fear potholes near as much. Car still feels stuck to the road and the speedo difference is minimal(+1.2 mph at 30 mph). Purist will throw a fit at this change, but car to be used occasionally in winter. It is still a blast to drive...to me.
Sponsored