Anyone else having amazing luck with their Civic?

-JP-

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '06 RSX-S, '10 MDX, '01 Sequoia
Country flag
3 years, 45k miles, 22 trackdays and this car takes a beating. Stay up on maintenance.
Sponsored

IDs748

First Name
PRAJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
I just bought a 2019 LX Hatch that has 21,000 KM which is approximately 13,050 miles. Hoping to keep it stock for 6 more months though before considering a tune/downpipe. I'm not quite getting the fuel economy I hoped for.

I am hoping to drive the car for 3 years and keep it under 60,000 miles before I try to sell privately!

Does anyone have tips other than routine oil change? I typically do my own, every 3,500 to 4,000 miles on my previous car.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I just bought a 2019 LX Hatch that has 21,000 KM which is approximately 13,050 miles. Hoping to keep it stock for 6 more months though before considering a tune/downpipe. I'm not quite getting the fuel economy I hoped for.

I am hoping to drive the car for 3 years and keep it under 60,000 miles before I try to sell privately!

Does anyone have tips other than routine oil change? I typically do my own, every 3,500 to 4,000 miles on my previous car.
You have the CVT? I noticed here that when it is colder, the mileage suffers a lot. The warm up period when it has to run rich causes part of that, so a garage or block heater would help that. While it operates in freezing conditions it gets 10-15% worse economy and there is not much help with that. The Civic does not have active shutters like Accord has. It is simpler. Some oils will yield up to 3% better economy. Is your driving in town with many starts and stops? Highway gets you 10% better mileage. The Civic has no hybrid system to help nudge the car and get it moving. With my manual I get about 37mpg in my city and 41 highway when its not that cold. Worse if its cold.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had 52,000 miles on my '17 Si before trading it. No issues on my CTR so far, and not expecting any.
So yeah, your experience is pretty typical for a Honda.

IDs748

First Name
PRAJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You have the CVT? I noticed here that when it is colder, the mileage suffers a lot. The warm up period when it has to run rich causes part of that, so a garage or block heater would help that. While it operates in freezing conditions it gets 10-15% worse economy and there is not much help with that. The Civic does not have active shutters like Accord has. It is simpler. Some oils will yield up to 3% better economy. Is your driving in town with many starts and stops? Highway gets you 10% better mileage. The Civic has no hybrid system to help nudge the car and get it moving. With my manual I get about 37mpg in my city and 41 highway when its not that cold. Worse if its cold.
Nope Sir. I have a 6-MT I don't think I could do a CVT in a Civic. I'm in Canada and temp's have been OK the past week, but when we are below 5 degrees Celsius I let her warm up for about 2 minutes, longer once we are in full blown winter mode, which I haven't experienced yet with this car. Basically my conversion works out to about 28 mpg, still better than the 16 mpg I was getting in my Infiniti but I did have double the power and torque almost.

Driving is a very short commute at 18 KM one way with pretty much all city. It' s not quite stop and go but its no where need highway speeds.

I think I'm going to have to take it a bit easier on the throttle and see how the next tank goes, I will fill up on next trip and reset and drive it like an old man and see what happens.

fg2kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1991 Civic DX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't had any issues so far. It's been as reliable as the past 3 Hondas I've owned, all of which were much older.

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
2016 LX with 6MT. 148,000 miles. AC is out, but I'm not a big AC user. Get the occasional rattle or buzz, but they are sporadic, and don't bother me too much. Had a window that didn't want to roll down once, but has been fine since. Threw a couple codes (probably from knock sensors when starting on steep inclines and not spinning up enough). PGM reflash fixed those. No other real issues other then rear brake squeak from rusting rotors. Still on OEM brakes and clutch (95% highway miles). Paint is chipped and such far more then I'd like. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat :) We will see how many miles this car can do.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
102,000 miles and 4 years in. It’s not luck. Take care of something and it lasts. I follow the maintenance minder and that’s it.
Well shit, I need to recant... My battery died yesterday at 103,067 miles/4 years 3 months 2 days haha No maintenance minder to tell me to check the battery! LOL Really no warning lights or anything. Just went to crank 'er up after fueling up after a 5 hour drive and she ded... New $75 Interstate 51R from Costco is cranking well!

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Nope Sir. I have a 6-MT I don't think I could do a CVT in a Civic. I'm in Canada and temp's have been OK the past week, but when we are below 5 degrees Celsius I let her warm up for about 2 minutes, longer once we are in full blown winter mode, which I haven't experienced yet with this car. Basically my conversion works out to about 28 mpg, still better than the 16 mpg I was getting in my Infiniti but I did have double the power and torque almost.

Driving is a very short commute at 18 KM one way with pretty much all city. It' s not quite stop and go but its no where need highway speeds.

I think I'm going to have to take it a bit easier on the throttle and see how the next tank goes, I will fill up on next trip and reset and drive it like an old man and see what happens.
Well glad your limbs are all in use. I don't know what I would do long term without my 6MT. I think Honda did well also in crafting an engine with light weight, high compression, and good air intake velocity for a turbo motor. It also has low friction features like polishing, cylinder honing and coated piston skirts. I would say that the oil you use can really help. What is in there now? Your interval is fine. I drive easy for five minutes. This reduces fuel consumption and fuel dilution. What is your RPM range? I was afraid to lug the motor but have brought down my minimum from 1900 to 1500 but that is very light throttle if warming it up or driving slowly in parking lot. then I work it to about 3k. Revving up to 3500 is fine too on economy but you will find the minimum you need to maintain speed and as you own it longer you get better constantly. By the way its not "drive like an old man." It's called hyper-mileing! It has a much better ring! You should get about 34 mpg in town with cold climate if easy on it. 38 at least highway. If you are at lower elevation you might use more fuel. I am above 1300 meters.

IDs748

First Name
PRAJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well glad your limbs are all in use. I don't know what I would do long term without my 6MT. I think Honda did well also in crafting an engine with light weight, high compression, and good air intake velocity for a turbo motor. It also has low friction features like polishing, cylinder honing and coated piston skirts. I would say that the oil you use can really help. What is in there now? Your interval is fine. I drive easy for five minutes. This reduces fuel consumption and fuel dilution. What is your RPM range? I was afraid to lug the motor but have brought down my minimum from 1900 to 1500 but that is very light throttle if warming it up or driving slowly in parking lot. then I work it to about 3k. Revving up to 3500 is fine too on economy but you will find the minimum you need to maintain speed and as you own it longer you get better constantly. By the way its not "drive like an old man." It's called hyper-mileing! It has a much better ring! You should get about 34 mpg in town with cold climate if easy on it. 38 at least highway. If you are at lower elevation you might use more fuel. I am above 1300 meters.
Same goes here I have no idea what I would without the 6MT. I test drove and signed a deal for a 2020 Toruing, on day of pick up they asked for $4,500 more as they messed up the paperwork and my trade in value. In a way I am glad it didn't work out as a CVT even with the touring features isn't my cup of tea. Mainly was going CVT touring only because of the GF.

As for engine oil grade since I bought the car from a Honda Dealership, I would assume whatever the factory reccomends as the previous owner of my LX Hatchback maintained it fully at the dealership based on service records. The one modification I will be doing in the near futre, just trying to catch a sale, ia a AEM drop in dry flow air filter, as I can see the one in the car might or might not have been changed recently as I didn't see it on the service record.

Typically I have been shifting around the 2000 RPM to 2500 RPM RANGE. Occasionally I do let her get up to 3500 RPM when I need to get up too speed or feel the urge to move quick. I will definitely trying a lower shift range but as you mentioned not to lug the motor.

As for the old man driving term I will start using hyper mining LOL. I am older now 34 vs 17 when I got my first Hondaz which was a 6th generation Accord. It was mated with the notoriously known automatic failure prone transmissions.

Unfortunately I do not know the exact elevation here but will look into it.

Kubo99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I had a bad strut leak at 3 years 40,000km. Dealership fixed it under warranty though

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Bottom of the line LX MT coupe N.A. 2.0. 50K miles and zero issues except A.C. compressor replaced under warranty and had to put a new battery in it a couple weeks ago. My old battery was still working but it was going on 5 years old and I don't want to get stuck this winter with a dead battery so I replaced it.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I can't wait to have such luck as I'm coming from two Ford Edges (2017 and 2018) SELs. Both Fords have suffered catastrophic failures of the transmissions, PTUs or engine. I'm done with FORD.
its amazing how the transmission on the U.S auto manufacturers vehicles are failing years ago they were the best automatics fords C4 and C6 autos Chryslers 727 and GMs turbo 350 and 2 speed power glide. Yes they were simple three speed automatics but they lasted then today’s 6 to 10 speed autos

CrazyJFPV

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC1, 2014 BMW 128i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
its amazing how the transmission on the U.S auto manufacturers vehicles are failing years ago they were the best automatics fords C4 and C6 autos Chryslers 727 and GMs turbo 350 and 2 speed power glide. Yes they were simple three speed automatics but they lasted then today’s 6 to 10 speed autos
I know right!?
I had a 78 Chevy C10 with turbo 400 and a shift kit. 150k miles and the 350 v8 would chirp the 36" swamp tires easily when shifting into 2 and 3rd. The transmission lasted forever, the drive shafts however didn't (raised truck life).

Hondadude69

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 touring with only like 55,000 on the odometer and...lots of issues. I remember shortly after I bought it not being able to start it cause the battery just randomly died. The the sensors in the door handles didn’t work.
Apple CarPlay disconnects all the time and I’m one of the lucky people that had their ac go out and unless I wanna pay 2k can’t do anything about it.

pretty salty with Honda right now
Sponsored