Anyone else have cracked foglight lenses?

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Last week when walking to my car, something with the foglights caught my eye. Once I got to the car, I saw that both foglight lenses were broken. I can only assume this was the act of vandalism... they are both broken and they are broken in almost an identical fashion. I have no idea how or when this happened, and if it was an act of vandalism, why the person didn't do anything else to the car (I mean, I ain't complaining... I'm just curious as to what the alleged dipshit was thinking). I can't imagine a rock or something else hitting each side of the car in exactly the same way. And I don't have any memory of bumping the lower bumper on anything that would twist or contort the front end enough to crack the foglights, let alone both of them.

Honda said that they don't carry just the foglight lenses... of course they don't.... only the complete fixture. They are $75 each which isn't terrible. I'm at 20% oil life and plan to just have Honda do it while they have the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone else have cracked foglight lenses? IMG_20181102_103858

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone else have cracked foglight lenses? IMG_20181102_103910

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just by looking at the pitting around the lenses, it looks like you took some shots by very well placed rocks while driving.

OP
OP

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just by looking at the pitting around the lenses, it looks like you took some shots by very well placed rocks while driving.
Huh, I never thought of that. I think I would have heard the glass break if that were the case. I know I can't avoid everything on the highway but I always try to stay away from gravel, dump trucks, etc., for this very reason. Interesting too is that no other part of the front end is damaged, as least not that I can tell.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
cracked fog lamp lense is a very common thing.

It's most likely a rock that hit it. You might want to put a piece of lamin x or something in front to prevent all the pittings on your next set.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
You might want to put a piece of lamin x
I definitely recommend this, including your headlights. You'll thank yourself in a few years.

Could also do the bumper and hood too...Honda paint is very soft I hear.

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic Si sedan
Country flag
From experience, I now buy Lamin-x cover for my fog lights just for that sole reason. Without protection, it WILL eventually crack. Also, you can choose to have it yellow like most have done for under $20.

OP
OP

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will most definitely check this out after the foglights are replaced. Thanks all!!

lowrysam

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (Black) w/ HFP package
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last week when walking to my car, something with the foglights caught my eye. Once I got to the car, I saw that both foglight lenses were broken. I can only assume this was the act of vandalism... they are both broken and they are broken in almost an identical fashion. I have no idea how or when this happened, and if it was an act of vandalism, why the person didn't do anything else to the car (I mean, I ain't complaining... I'm just curious as to what the alleged dipshit was thinking). I can't imagine a rock or something else hitting each side of the car in exactly the same way. And I don't have any memory of bumping the lower bumper on anything that would twist or contort the front end enough to crack the foglights, let alone both of them.

Honda said that they don't carry just the foglight lenses... of course they don't.... only the complete fixture. They are $75 each which isn't terrible. I'm at 20% oil life and plan to just have Honda do it while they have the car.
I noticed the same thing recently on one of my foglights as well. I figured it was a rock or something. I drive a lot of highway miles. I was just surprised because I never had anything happen to my 9th gen Si or TSX or S2000.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Back in the 90's, after replacing 2 fog lights due to rock hits (here in Pa, cracked lenses will fail inspection) to tune of $140 or so, the service advisor told me about Laminex, got them and haven't replaced a Foglamp since. Very cheap insurance for less than $15, plus I like the yellow tint!

nycmikey2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vinyl wrap your fog lights ( whichever color you like) for about $30 and this will probably never happened again.

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
My driver one was broke at 5,000 miles. I replaced the fog light and covered them in yellow lamin-x and I haven’t had a problem since

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
cracked fog lamp lense is a very common thing.

It's most likely a rock that hit it. You might want to put a piece of lamin x or something in front to prevent all the pittings on your next set.
This. I've broken two so far. Lamin-x seems pretty thick and since I've put it on I havent had any problems

consultadrone

First Name
Pittman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Coupe
Country flag
I had the exact same thing happen. The 2019 OEM LED fog lights are direct replacements and have polycarbonate lenses instead of glass. Just installed mine and I love them.

sdj544

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I had the exact same thing happen. The 2019 OEM LED fog lights are direct replacements and have polycarbonate lenses instead of glass. Just installed mine and I love them.
Do you happen to have part #s?
I think the SI are different from other Civic variations.

Thanks,
Steve

consultadrone

First Name
Pittman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Coupe
Country flag
Do you happen to have part #s?
I think the SI are different from other Civic variations.

Thanks,
Steve
08V31-TBA-100H

I’m 100% certain that all Civics, regardless of trim use the same fog lights. The bezels may be different and access to them varies slightly (on some sport hatch models you don’t need to remove the front bumper).

The 2019 LED fogs swapped right in on my 2017 touring coupe.
Sponsored